ABW Ambassador
    Anyone know of a good link masking program(s)? I would like to hide my affiliate links.

I would like more of a redirection script that will work dynamically on a linux based and windows based environment.

Has anyone tried the program from designerwiz?

Thanks

Hey Sid,

You can easily mask links yourself by adding a tag liks so:

http://www.eyiproducts.com/tip1.html

Alternately, if you have PHP on your web server, I can give you a simple tag to push all your affilaite links through. But if you want metrics for re-directing, it would be much easier to use MySQL to track all the clicks. Or Ray's DesignerWiz scripts will work as well. I ahve not used it personally but I have checked it out before and Ray is a good guy.

Good luck.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sid_:
    Has anyone tried the program from designerwiz?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do and I like it just fine.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Hey Sid_

Hah, I was just shopping for one of those this week, too.

None of the ones that come out tops in Google have enough review feedback to know whether they work well and don't trash a server. One I was leaning towards I finally found some feedback somewhere and there were a lot of complaints about installation.

In the mean time I actually resorted to a little bit of javascript.

@Ian, I know what I'm interested in will be MySQL based and will be good for tracking clicks as well. I'd want to be able to import my links autmatically, since I produce a whole lot of product links for my pages. If I have to log in to an admin panel to import my links, ick. Just making the links "look" different to the visitor has never made much difference on my conversion rates.
    Video Marketing Success eBook -- co-written by webmarm

What's this script by designerwiz? I just went to the site and don't see anything obvious.

Thanks for the feedback Webarm. Nice

ABW Ambassador
    Webmarm nailed it. I don't want it to just look different I want it to do a real redirect and I want it to match up on a product name or sku.

Also it may be done with text flat files so you don't have to mess with MySQL.

I'm going to have to build it myself aren’t I?

Sid: You can or look into paid one? I don't want to speak for Ray but Maybe he can help?

As for flat files, I think this is ok until you get lots of traffic. I am always nervous about flat files when it is being opened, written to and closed on high traffic sites. As flat files can be opened by more than 1 user at any one time, you can lose data this way. I suggested MySQL to elimiate this risk. If you are already connecting to a flat file, you can just as easily connect to a MySQL table

Good luck and let me know if you want to do any brainstorming.

ABW Ambassador
    The flat file is read only (most the time). Writes once when the feed is created in the middle of the night. Not much risk of overwrites. I have already put a perl version in place (custom to my site).

Now I need a version for my NT server.

Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> posted August 17, 2004 12:11 PM
    I'm going to have to build it myself aren’t I? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> posted August 17, 2004 02:51 PM
    I have already put a perl version in place (custom to my site).
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You fast!

I'm jealous.

I am jealous too!

Perl, now that is a powerful language.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Perl, now that is a powerful language.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is very little perl can't do. And if I need to connect it to a MySQL db later, no problem. I have one site hosted on a NT server and I hate it. Perl is free, easy to learn, fast and powerful.

I'm going to try to use perl on the NT server; I have never done it before. I know asp but compared to perl it's a lot like a job.

You can also use (if the option is available from your hosting company) the option to redirect links like this: widget.com/link2

Just check with them

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread