Can I move my website without losing Page Rank?
    I've had a website for about 8 years running on PHPNuke, now PR4. Can I make wholesale changes to the site, e.g. switch to WordPress, without losing PR?

Also, at the moment, it sits in a directory under the main domain, so in Google it will usually appear as www.mydomain.com/foldername and pages have url's like:
    http://www.mydomain.com/foldername//modules.php?name=Sections&op=listarticles&secid=8

Would there be any bad side-effects if I simply moved the domain name to another hosting company that has an easy WordPress setup (this host doesn't) and manually transferred the content of each page to its own WP page?

PS, 301 redirects are a mystery to me if that happens to be an option.

TIA for any help.

Terry
    Last edited by loxly; October 7th, 2010 at 10:53 PM. Reason: unlinked example urls

If the content - articles will be properly moved and the site will looks the same (SEO wise) and you set the 301 redirects properly, then there should be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by wolhouse View Post
    I've had a website for about 8 years running on PHPNuke, now PR4. Can I make wholesale changes to the site, e.g. switch to WordPress, without losing PR?

Also, at the moment, it sits in a directory under the main domain, so in Google it will usually appear as www.mydomain.com/foldername and pages have url's like:
    http://www.mydomain.com/foldername//modules.php?name=Sections&op=listarticles&secid=8

Would there be any bad side-effects if I simply moved the domain name to another hosting company that has an easy WordPress setup (this host doesn't) and manually transferred the content of each page to its own WP page?

PS, 301 redirects are a mystery to me if that happens to be an option.

TIA for any help.

Terry
    First of all I don't recommend you to change URL scheme of 8 year old high PR website. If you are in a situation to change it, better learn how to do proper 301 redirection other wise ask the help of a technician from web hosting company.

You know, any mistake in changing url structure for an old website might be like suicide.

If you are just changing the hosting file to a different server and keep the same url structure, you do not need to worry. As long as the URL structure is same, your website will not lose any PR or traffic.
    Last edited by sijugk; November 1st, 2010 at 08:06 AM.

As long as the site stays the same there should be no issue with moving to a now hosting provider. Your only issue is if you change the site itself. Where you have the site hosted has very little to do with it unless your moving it to a known problem hosting site.

You should get some one to 301 redirect all your old funky urls into new seo frendly ones and you shouldn't lose too much in the SEs but you should gain some after a little bit. SEs like word friendly urls

ABW Ambassador
    You can safely either change hosts OR safely change platforms/url's at your current web host. However, moving hosts at the same time you change your platform/link structure increases the odds greatly of having problems and losing rank in the SE's.

My suggestion would be for you to first move your existing site "as is" over to a new host - preferably a host that has cPanel or something similar. Then wait a month or two for things to settle to make sure no problems arise.

Once the move to the new host is done, then make the move to a new platform/url structure. As you move pages from one platform to another and the url's change, use cPanel to set up 301 redirects from the old pages to the new pages. cPanel makes it very easy to do this - there is no need to hack around in the .htaccess file.

I've done this many times and never have had any problems.

if you are using google tools for webmasters (https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools), you can also notify google about this move to not loose position in google search

In section "Site Configuration" you can find menu entry: Change of address
    You can find full descripotion how to do it right to not loose your current positions
    [SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]Viktor Zeman[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [B][URL=http://www.qualityunit.com/]Quality Unit [/URL][/B] Founder and [B][URL=http://www.qualityunit.com/postaffiliatepro/]Post Affiliate Pro[/URL][/B] developer

I forgot to mention, that in the past we did it and migration of content from one URL to another didn't caused any pagerank problems

Google Webmasters Tools is definitely the right place to start, when you are migrating something!
    Last edited by qualityunit; November 11th, 2010 at 04:12 AM.
    [SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]Viktor Zeman[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [B][URL=http://www.qualityunit.com/]Quality Unit [/URL][/B] Founder and [B][URL=http://www.qualityunit.com/postaffiliatepro/]Post Affiliate Pro[/URL][/B] developer

Affiliate Manager
    I will take 2 steps to do this, first change your host and then the whole site using a 301, take some time between the first and second step this will probably absorb most of the damage.

Good Luck!

I agree with qualityunit, although there is likely no danger of losing your page rank if moved correctly. Letting Google now what you are doing though Google tools is probably a good idea.

If url stays the same then should be no problem.

In the original post of this old thread it says that all the URLs will change.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread