Hospitals & Disney World & Insomnia, Oh My!
    So the week of September 4th, I started getting some pains in my upper left chest. It felt like an anxiety attack, I had a major one (my first) about 12-15 years ago. I ran to the family doctor then, got some xanax, it worked itself out. This time though, and I apparently didn't remember all the symptoms, I thought worse.

It started in my upper left chest at the beginning of the week. Then worked it's way a little more middle, then my left arm started tingling by midweek. Friday afternoon, my entire chest was TIGHT, and my left arm was completely numb. Ran to the hospital.

Turned out to be another anxiety attack. After the fact (when my mom gets there), it was apparently the same before. I just don't remember my arm going numb, and the complete chest tightness, just my upper left chest. She can't remember s***, but remembers that. Anyway, a shot of Ativan (sweet, sweet juice) and I was checked out a couple of hours later.

(Alabama football season started the next day, so if it didn't happen before, it would've probably peaked during the season, lol).

Luckily, my trip to Disney World with my dad was the 13th through the 26th. Had some xanax (from a family member with a legal ) to get me through to the trip. Once I'm in WDW, I'm fine. I can block the world out when I'm down there (except for the 2 saturdays of football while we're there).

We get back, I'm ok for a little while. By Oct 1st, I'm getting back to feeling like the couple of days prior to the hospital trip. So my family doctor squeezed me in. Gave me a for Celexa. This stuff takes at least 2 weeks to take effect. WTF? Anyway, Since I was going to be watching the ALA-FLA game the next day, I waited til Sunday to start taking it (beer makes it go away too ).

Sunday, I take a pill. Monday morning, I pop right up at 9:00 AM. NEVER happens.

Monday evening my dad and I went out to have a few beers (one of his only 2 days off). I come home, eat (9:00-ish) in the evening. Normally I fall right asleep, but not this night. 4:00 am Tuesday, I try to make myself go to bed. I toss and turn for about an hour. Get back up. Tuesday night, comes and goes, still awake. I'm not tired, not awake, just in like a neutral state.

Wednesday afternoon, still haven't slept, haven't had an appetite so I've barely eaten. Few other side effects. Call the doc, get a late appointment. Change to something else. Wed evening (6:30-ish) I take some of the new stuff. About 5 hours later I'm finally getting that "fuzzy feeling" in my head that you typically get when you've stayed up way too long, which I hadn't had prior. Then my stomach starts growling. I'm like, cool.

Ok, about 5:00 am Thursday morning, I try to force myself asleep again. Tossed and turned for about an hour.

Get back up.

Here we are, 3:00 am, Friday morning. Still awake.

So other than 2 hours of random tossing and turning, I've been up for 90+ hours.

So it's been a fun month or so. lol.
    Last edited by mobilebadboy; October 8th, 2010 at 03:59 AM.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

hey mobilebadboy, you should get some rest. maybe that would help

hope you feel better soon. are you worried about a new site you're trying to finish?

are you worried about a new site you're trying to finish?
    ummm, aren't we all?

Take care of yourself mobilebadboy. That doesn't sound like the way things are supposed to go.

Stop taking the meds it just covers up whatever is the root of the problem.

Turn off the tube, lay off the beer, go in a quiet room and meditate
    Just visualize the Alabama football team winning... lol.

Not that I do that myself (too busy finishing off the sites we all talk about) but I know it helps. I don't know much about anxiety attacks but interesting to hear the way it came on. Hope you are feeling better.

http and a telephoto
    Celexa and all the meds like it cause serious insomnia. After my son Dan died in 2002 I was on a variety of meds, and Effexor for a year. No one told me insomnia was a side effect. Tell your doctor and get on something else, but you will need to find out what is causing the attacks. Sometimes you can fix it with meds, sometimes not. Doing what ladidah said can help, but I do know that sometimes you need medication to "get you over the hump". Being on antidepressants for the long haul will wreck your body, the side effects are worse than what they "fix".

And don't let them put you on Paxil at all!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    Shawn,

What a wild couple of weeks!

Hope things calm down for you soon, and that you find the right mix of whatever you need to help long term. I'm sure you already know this, but NO ONE knows your body better than you do, so be sure to let the doc know anytime the side effects get to be too much.

Happy thoughts coming your way,
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Shawn, I hope the fact that you've been offline for a few hours means that you're getting some sleep. Get some rest and come back to hang out for awhile.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

I didn't know the numbness in your left arm could be caused by anxiety but I do know it can be caused by heart issues. Too much strain (emotional or physical) and/or blockage of the heart can cause the numbness. I had that pain for months after having a heart attack. I hope they gave you a stress test. If not, ask about one. One thing I learned about medical care is don't be shy about asking questions and if you're not confident about your doctor's prognosis talk to another doctor. If they can't answer your questions or tell you what the problem is, find someone who will. Don't just accept it.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

ABW Ambassador
    Move out of Alabama.

Thanks everyone. I finally got a little sleep, after a little Lite help. (had to sleep)

Deb, apparently Zoloft has the same side effect, that's what I switched to Wednesday.

I know what causes it, it's just not something I can make go away immediately (although I'm trying). I just hate that feeling in my chest, that's why I'm on the meds. Xanax is like a "quick" relief, whereas the Celexa, Zoloft and the like take weeks to show real signs.

Just visualize the Alabama football team winning... lol.
    I can just turn on the TV and see that.

Greg, that's what I thought it was this time, but EKG and all at the hospital showed fine. I just didn't remember all the same symptoms from my first attack years ago.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Yikes - hope you're sleeping like a baby as I type this and that you manage to reduce your anxiety level!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Am sorry you're having a rough time and hope the meds help ya. Hope ya get the attacks under control, you're not alone cos a lot of people suffer from anxiety attacks. Can be very scary cos ya do feel like you're havin a heart attack or you're just gonna explode inside. Really do hope ya feel better

"Move out of Alabama"
    hee, hee

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread