Affiliate programs offering "custom coupon code" tracking
    Hey guys,

New here.. seems like a really cool forum! I've been doing some research into affiliate programs which, instead of using affiliate links with a unqiue ID in it, use a simple coupon code which advertisers can publish on their website (or offline). The customer just needs to use the promo code when checking out, and the sale is tracked.

Anyone know any merchants that do this type of thing?

Thanks!
    Dan

http and a telephoto
    buy.at has that capability, and many merchants are able to do this manually. I have several that we manage that will track offline using coupons or other types of codes.

What types of programs are you looking for?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thanks. Nothing in particular..

Affiliates who solely use a third party platform (CJ, Linkshare, SAS, etc) don't even have the capabilities to do this, correct?

http and a telephoto
    Merchants that want to can do whatever they want. My merchants are on Shareasale and buy.at. buy.at has offline tracking and custom coupon tracking available. Tracking offline referred sales is a semi-manual process. Merchants that want to do it, can do it. You want to have a good relationship with the merchant because there is some trust involved.
    Deborah Carney

Coupon codes
    You mean like coupon codes? Godaddy offers them.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by johnl123d View Post
    You mean like coupon codes? Godaddy offers them.
    A lot of merchants offer coupons, but not all track exclusive coupons to just the site it was issued to.
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    Merchants that want to can do whatever they want. My merchants are on Shareasale and buy.at. buy.at has offline tracking and custom coupon tracking available. Tracking offline referred sales is a semi-manual process. Merchants that want to do it, can do it. You want to have a good relationship with the merchant because there is some trust involved.
    Thanks loxly, you've been very helpful. I'll definitely go check out buy.at.

What do you mean exactly when you say tracking offline sales is a semi-manual process? Can't it be as simple as the merchant provides you with a unique coupon code, and you advertise that on your site or offline, people use the code when checking out, and the commission gets tracked?

Also.. one more question for you.. for merchants who have an 'in-house' affiliate system, do you really think many of them can do custom coupon tracking without any programming changes? Like, it's just a feature you need to ask for? I had always assumed that if they aren't advertising it, they don't have it.. is it worth my time to ask to see if they have it?

Thanks,
    Dan

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthology View Post
    Thanks loxly, you've been very helpful. I'll definitely go check out buy.at.

What do you mean exactly when you say tracking offline sales is a semi-manual process? Can't it be as simple as the merchant provides you with a unique coupon code, and you advertise that on your site or offline, people use the code when checking out, and the commission gets tracked?

Also.. one more question for you.. for merchants who have an 'in-house' affiliate system, do you really think many of them can do custom coupon tracking without any programming changes? Like, it's just a feature you need to ask for? I had always assumed that if they aren't advertising it, they don't have it.. is it worth my time to ask to see if they have it?

Thanks,
    Dan
    There is nothing automatic about an offline code tracking without a corresponding cookie. The merchant will see the code and will have to run a batch to add those transactions to a network or any other tracking system.

It isn't something that is easy to do, and as I said, the merchants have to be willing to do it. And the affiliate has to trust that the merchant will track it.

It has nothing to do with in-house vs networks. It has to do with no click, no cookie.
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    There is nothing automatic about an offline code tracking without a corresponding cookie. The merchant will see the code and will have to run a batch to add those transactions to a network or any other tracking system.
    There are some merchants who have it automated so that exclusive coupon codes track back to the associated affiliate in real-time. They basically just modify the checkout confirmation page to add logic to call the network's APIs to "manually" post the sale.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Also I know some merchants using Post Affiliate Pro have integrated coupons in real time.
    PAP supports also printing of bar codes for affiliates next to standard coupon codes to automate the process of entering coupon code.
    [SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]Viktor Zeman[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [B][URL=http://www.qualityunit.com/]Quality Unit [/URL][/B] Founder and [B][URL=http://www.qualityunit.com/postaffiliatepro/]Post Affiliate Pro[/URL][/B] developer

Plimus offers these kind of coupons for their vendors.

We use them for our own affiliate program

As an example, see http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138177
    Last edited by 2busy; October 30th, 2010 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Sent your link to your Paid Announcement

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread