First off, no offense to anyone here who has such a site...they must make money or why build them?
    After doing a google search I click one of the top sites in the results and there is a page of NOTHING but links to eBay auctions. I am looking for some content, some info, not just an eBay link farm...some people must click on them but when I see that I click right off and move on to a new site.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I think there must be quite a few people who feel that way misterbill, as I often see search strings in my tracker that include "-ebay"

ABW Ambassador
    It might be a public service if Google & Yahoo would include "-eBAy" as the search default to eliminate these trash sites from search results.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    Most of us at this board have this type of site.

SOme of us have Zappos link farms. Some of us have Shoes.com link farms. Some of us have Overstock.com link farms. Some of us have .......................

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Misterbill,

Even though I hate those too, but the reality is that there will always be those are making thousands per month no matter what the site looks like.

I have seen some sites that I would not buy anything from myself, but probably 3 out of 10 people would, so those that build those type of sites don't care they just keep in building cause the more they build the more they make from that 30% that buy.

So do the same with yours with content or however you feel comfortable but keep on building....

ABW Ambassador
    Affiliate sites are all "link farms". Get over it.

ABW Ambassador
    So we had an affiliate do a search and came upon another affiliate site with links to ebay. So what?

"they must make money or why build them"

Well, that tells you someone found that site useful.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Two options here, I feel...

1. Build your own site with content and stickability, retain your visitors through good service, and stop whining.

2. Build a site with nothing but ebay links, and stop whining.

>but when I see that I click right off and
    >move on to a new site.

So the purpose of your post was WHAT exactly?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Affiliate sites are all "link farms". Get over it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While i try to say a few things on this forum, I have to say, deep down their is some relief that this is the level of thought of many of the "competition".

Because if that is all your site is, it is worthless. But please, don't lump everyone in here under the same short sighted umbrella.

Chet

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chez Noir:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Affiliate sites are all "link farms". Get over it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While i try to say a few things on this forum, I have to say, deep down their is some relief that this is the level of thought of many of the "competition".

Because if that is all your site is, it is worthless. But please, don't lump everyone in here under the same short sighted umbrella.

Chet <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Ebay is a sham, first pawn shops use them to find out what something is worth, before the broker "lends" money to the sucker, then there was a report months ago about ebay's unethical finance reporting, you don't see the ads on tv anymore, the fivnal one was when they sent me a "anti-vius cd, using the microsoft logo, with the butterfly, and a microsof address on the package, that was when the big swarm worm was going round, like a jerk, i put it into my modem, and it showed a 15 seond ad ,for e-bay,that knocked me off line, and long hours with microsoft's upper lever tech supporters, the final outcome was calling back my computer tech company, we found the windows millenium edition had expired, and after 2 weeks of waiting, I picked up the modem, it was upgraded to windows xp,and downgraded my bank account a hell of a lot more,
    so, a poem, stay away from e-bay, bad news, my nickles worth.JJ

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chez Noir:
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. Thanks, Chet.

ABW Ambassador
    JAMES T. MONROE - huh?

I'm curious how somebody can make a site like that? I've tried contacting Ebay for a datafeed but they haven't responded. Any help here?

Thanks!
    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    Snib: it's not a datafeed. It looks like a webservice, much like Amazon's live XML.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

Well I finally got a response from Ebay saying they got my message and that I need to respond saying I still want it answered. They gave me an ETA of 2 weeks to get my answer.

Sooo... rather than waiting 2 weeks, do you have the URL to this web service?

Thank You!
    - Scott

ABW Ambassador
    I don't have that URL as I'm not an Ebay affiliate. I got an email about it a while back.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

I searched around and found one tool that builds a table of prices for you given a particular search query. This is helpful and I'll see how it does. There is also an API that costs $250 to set up. I have no idea what it does, has anybody tried it yet?

- Scott

I use the builder to search term pages at ebay exclusively for my ebay links and find it works well. I pop the results list up in a floating smaller table from the link so people don't need to go to ebay itself which takes longer to load.

On the original post in this thread - I can see how such sites are successful as ebay isn't always that easy to search on for the uninitiated. The listings are governed by where the seller places the items which is not always where people look for them. Apparently there are people who make money on ebay by buying cheaply goods such as books (form ebay) which are cheap because they are in the wrong place and potential buyers don't find them. They them relist them in the right place and get a better price.

Also, there's stuff on ebay that many people wouldn't think of looking for. I wouldn't build a site myself just around ebay, but the site described sounds to me like it fulfills a useful purpose in helping people get what they want - more so than just a datafeed fed into Google for instance.

You make some excellent points Paul and I'm happy to hear this because it's exactly what I'm doing with Ebay. I've fused Ebay into my existing category structure which allows people to browse my site using my structure in order to compare Ebay to other merchants. It's turned out beautifully and I'm excited to jump on the Ebay bandwagon.

Funny story, it's been so long since I used Ebay that I had to talk to their online support and backtrack through 5 of my previous addresses just to find the one I registered with. Finally got my password, Whew! Good thing I've got a good screenname. Maybe I'll buy or sell something someday.

- Scott

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snib:
    Maybe I'll buy or sell something someday.

- Scott <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've bought and sold quite a lot of stuff on ebay, it's where I cut my teeth for marketing my own products on route to becoming a merchant (very much embryonic at the moment).

It's worth using it as a buyer and seller to see how it works and get a handle on how to best promote it as it's rather different in operation from any other merchant site.

ABW Ambassador
    Here's the url in case anybody needs it

http://developer.ebay.com/DevProgram/

Should give you any info you need on how their services works.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread