Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Fraud Known as Non-Recurring Commissions
    Many affiliate programs do not want to pay recurring commissions for subsequent orders placed by customers we create for their company.

My perspective on this is that depriving an affiliate recurring commissions is akin to depriving a brick and mortar store their markup profit over wholesale after a certain time frame.

In both cases, the brick and mortar store, and the online promoter, both introduce a companies products to their customers.

Whether those customers then go to that companies website and buy those products directly, is irrelevant, because that relationship was created by the affiliate (or brick and mortar retailer), and thus that affiliate should be compensated a percentage of all subsequent purchases by that customer.

Unfortunately, most of the affiliate programs I've seen refuse to pay what is fair, or consistently compensate affiliates for their efforts in creating those relationships.

Is there anyone else here who thinks this is unjust, and if so, what can we do about it?
    Last edited by FairBusiness; October 13th, 2010 at 03:35 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    You can build sites that people come back to again and again, serve up fresh cookies.

Some merchants have a window where you would get paid again if that customer buys again within a certain time frame, usually not that long.

Realistically speaking tho, if merchants paid on that customer "forever" they wouldn't be able to sustain the affiliate program and it would fold. So go back to first sentence.

Edited to add. Also, you have to consider some other things. Somebody sets their cookie but that customer can go thru another affiliate site in the future. Then what? Are you still paying just that first affiliate, last affiliate, both affiliates?
    Last edited by Trust; October 13th, 2010 at 03:46 PM.

Some merchants don't pay on repeat orders and some do, if it is important to you, try to determine the merchant's position before promoting them.

The idea that you own the customer relationship is wrong, but it is up to the merchant to see that the customer can easily find them again - or want to find them again. If they end up clicking again through your links, you should be paid your commission.

Because this is entirely up to the merchant, read the TOS before you sign up.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    Realistically speaking tho, if merchants paid on that customer "forever" they wouldn't be able to sustain the affiliate program and it would fold.
    That's not true.

These internet wholesalers are raking in hundreds of billions of dollars, stealing our customers, and then leaving us with peanuts.
    Last edited by FairBusiness; October 13th, 2010 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    The idea that you own the customer relationship is wrong,
    It's generally accepted that people own what they create.

If an affiliate creates a profitable business relationship for an internet wholesaler, then it's only right that the affiliate should get a percentage of the profits generated as long as the relationship exists.

but it is up to the merchant to see that the customer can easily find them again - or want to find them again. If they end up clicking again through your links, you should be paid your commission.
    Why should we even have to create redundant websites to preserve a customer business relationship we created in the first place, and which rightfully belongs to us?
    Last edited by FairBusiness; October 13th, 2010 at 04:02 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    This isn't a brick and mortar store, this is affiliate marketing.

"If you guys want to be suckers for the rest of your business careers, by all means, go right ahead, but I'm not going to accept having my customers stolen and being defrauded out of my share of the profit."

Yes, it really sucks sitting at home right now, no boss, no limit into how much I can make etc. Seems like you've failed with affiliate marketing or something.

I noticed you also skipped over the other points I brought up. Or are you here just to say affiliate marketing sucks, not much else?
    Last edited by Trust; October 13th, 2010 at 03:59 PM.

This isn't a brick and mortar store, this is affiliate marketing.
    It's an analogy.

"If you guys want to be suckers for the rest of your business careers, by all means, go right ahead, but I'm not going to accept having my customers stolen and being defrauded out of my share of the profit."

Yes, it really sucks sitting at home right now, no boss, no limit into how much I can make etc. Seems like you've failed with affiliate marketing or something.
    And how much do you make?
    Last edited by FairBusiness; October 13th, 2010 at 04:05 PM.

I noticed you also skipped over the other points I brought up. Or are you here just to say affiliate marketing sucks, not much else?
    I addressed your point about sites with cookies in my response to the poster with the female icon.

There's no reason why affiliates should have to build redundant websites for a companies products.

Also, you have to consider some other things. Somebody sets their cookie but that customer can go thru another affiliate site in the future. Then what? Are you still paying just that first affiliate, last affiliate, both affiliates?
    The person who created the business relationship with that company should be paid for purchases made by that customer.
    Last edited by FairBusiness; October 13th, 2010 at 04:08 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by FairBusiness View Post
    It's an analogy.

And how much do you make?
    Enough to be sitting here right now. So why exactly are you here in an affiliate marketing forum? It's obvious based on your posts you used to do this so I can only gather you failed at it. That's life. And whatever you're doing now, drop shipping, merchant, whatever. If you're doing good with it, congrats. But there are plenty of people doing good at this.

ABW Ambassador
    "The person who created the business relationship with that company should be paid for purchases made by that customer."

There is no one off with customers. You just don't win them once and they're yours forever. You have to constantly win them. I see that time from time from merchants even, thinking they've "acquired" a customer. When I see that, I'm thinking they should have hired somebody who actually gets business and marketing.

"There's no reason why affiliates should have to build redundant websites for a companies products."

? You know brick and mortars do the same. They want people coming back to their store again and again. So yeah, it makes sense to have websites that can do the same.
    Last edited by Trust; October 13th, 2010 at 04:13 PM.

The affiliate is equivalent to a retailer
    A closer analogy is that an affiliate is a sales rep. Yes, on the one hand, a sales rep "on the payroll" gets paid a base salary plus commission, plus override commissions. But on the other hand, that employee's time is dedicated to promoting the employer's business; an affiliate is free to promote any or all of a merchant's competitors as well as non-related enterprises, and is also free to screw around and fritter their time away as they wish. In a sense (and in my own opinion) a one-time commission payment on a repeat customer is unfair in some way, but to label it as "fraud" as you do is a little bit outlandish; terms are spelled out up front and you can take it or leave it.

If you guys want to be suckers for the rest of your business careers, by all means, go right ahead, but I'm not going to accept having my customers stolen and being defrauded out of my share of the profit.
    So get a job, then. Settle for a fixed hourly/weekly wage. Get jarred from a peaceful sleep by the shrill scream of an alarm clock every morning. Don't miss the train, or you'll get *****ed at for showing up late.
    Last edited by davidh; October 13th, 2010 at 04:16 PM.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Enough to be sitting here right now. So why exactly are you here in an affiliate marketing forum? It's obvious based on your posts you used to do this so I can only gather you failed at it. That's life. And whatever you're doing now, drop shipping, merchant, whatever. If you're doing good with it, congrats. But there are plenty of people doing good at this.
    Nice way to dodge the question.

You're out schlepping another companies products, getting defrauded out of your rightful profit after 30, 60 or 90 days, and you're happy with yourself?

"The person who created the business relationship with that company should be paid for purchases made by that customer."

There is no one off with customers. You just don't win them once and they're yours forever. You have to constantly win them. I see that time from time from merchants even, thinking they've "acquired" a customer. When I see that, I'm thinking they should have hired somebody who actually gets business and marketing.
    That response does not appear to be related to the quote preceding it.

"There's no reason why affiliates should have to build redundant websites for a companies products."

? You know brick and mortars do the same. They want people coming back to their store again and again. So yeah, it makes sense to have websites that can do the same.
    Yes, but the internet renders boundaries of time and space moot, so your comparison to brick and mortar stores in this example is ineffective.

If your site was good enough that people would come back to it a new cookie would be set every time they did and you would always have your cookie on their computer.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    A closer analogy is that an affiliate is a sales rep.
    Sales reps generally get paid for subsequent purchases by customer relationships they create.

So get a job, then. Settle for a fixed hourly/weekly wage. Get jarred from a peaceful sleep by the shrill scream of an alarm clock every morning. Don't miss the train, or you'll get *****ed at for showing up late.
    "Either accept the way it is, or get an hourly job."... False choice.

ABW Ambassador
    Nice way to dodge the question.

You're out schlepping another companies products, getting defrauded out of your rightful profit after 30, 60 or 90 days, and you're happy with yourself?
    haha, it's none of your business what I make. And yes, I'm happy with what I do. What's not to be happy about? I've been doing this full time for almost 9 years.

Just out of curiosity. What do you do? Drop shipper or merchant?
    Last edited by Trust; October 13th, 2010 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    If your site was good enough that people would come back to it a new cookie would be set every time they did and you would always have your cookie on their computer.
    Yes, but what's to prevent the customer from going directly to the wholesalers site and ordering from there?

I've made money from it for 12 years now.

haha, it's none of your business what I make. And yes, I'm happy with what I do. What's not to be happy about? I've been doing this full time for almost 9 years.
    But you're still working.

Yes, but what's to prevent the customer from going directly to the wholesalers site and ordering from there?
    Some will and some won't. So what - what's the big deal about it.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; October 13th, 2010 at 04:26 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    But you're still working.
    Yes, that's how people make money. Now answer my question, what do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    Some will and some won't. So what- what's the big deal about it.
    Then you lose the fruits of your labor.

Yes, that's how people make money. Now answer my question, what do you do?
    I'm retired.

In other words, I live off of residuals.
    Last edited by FairBusiness; October 13th, 2010 at 04:28 PM.

I am too and I make as much money in affiliate marketing as I did working when I worked plus I get SS on top of that.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; October 13th, 2010 at 04:29 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm retired.
    Oh rly? Because if I was actually retired, I wouldn't go around affiliate marketing forums crying about it, I would be enjoying my retirement. Nice try. Side note, I see you're making the rounds on affiliate marketing forums.

You add some stuff -

"In other words, I live off of residuals."

Great. So don't beat around the bush. Your point in joining affiliate marketing forums, posting the same stuff? You selling something, bored, what? Spit it out.
    Last edited by Trust; October 13th, 2010 at 04:30 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast