Cool Keywords
    How do you know which words are exactly THE keywords? Do I HAVE to buy a software or pay for service to help figure this out, or is there literraly a list of words that tend to be more valuable?

What makes a word more valuable? Is it the amount of bidding that goes into that word for SEO?

Would using words more often help?--that pertain more to subject matter of your site

I.E. I have a site that's focussed on nightlife culture. Would using the word nightlife in every new article help my search rankings when somebody searched for nightlife?

It's a real confusing subject. Please help me out with this. Thanks.

Well first of all your going to want to dig a bit deeper to find better "long tailed" keywords.
    You said your site was about nightlife, so try to find more specific keywords. While there are plenty of paid keyword tools you can start witht the Google one. Just search for "keywordtool" on Google and it should come up. This will give you a better look at what the scene is.
    Yes of course if most of your site is base around nightlife you will be helping by mentioning that word in your content, but that a pretty general word to rank for.

Thanks for the reply. Great tool to leverage.

So would you say the keyword with more searches is better or is that less valuable? How about the word with higher cpc avg?

Of course the more searches the better, but only if the term is a bit focused. Like the term "nightlife" may have thousands of searches the term is so broad that you would have a hard time getting noticed for it. So try to look at the onles with say, a few thousand searches a month, but are more focused. That's where it's at. You need to get as many "targeted" people to your site so you want to shoot for quality instead of quantity.
    As far as the CPC rate, unless your doing paid advertising I wouldn't be concerned with that. All it really means is that there is a lot of competition for the term.

Personally i never even look at that because I don't do paid advertising. Why bother when you don't have to?

Talking
    Yes, no doubt. Thanks for the reply. I've done a lot of research since then and now fully understand this equation.

Luckily, though my site is not in production yet, the main keyword that I have, has over 1 million searches per month with very little competition. I hit a gem and will stick with it.

keyword are the phrases people generally use to search something on internet. e.g. If I want to search gift item for anybody I'll type "best and cheap gift items" so this "best and cheap gift items" will be my keyword. Thanks

yeah, you need to make sure people who search your keyword are at the end of their buying cycle, meaning they're ready to buy. Eric gave a good example. It's awesome if you find a keyword that includes the word "buy" or "purchase" of course.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDaudelin View Post
    Of course the more searches the better, but only if the term is a bit focused. Like the term "nightlife" may have thousands of searches the term is so broad that you would have a hard time getting noticed for it. So try to look at the onles with say, a few thousand searches a month, but are more focused. That's where it's at. You need to get as many "targeted" people to your site so you want to shoot for quality instead of quantity.
    As far as the CPC rate, unless your doing paid advertising I wouldn't be concerned with that. All it really means is that there is a lot of competition for the term.

Personally i never even look at that because I don't do paid advertising. Why bother when you don't have to?

Thats great advice John... so is the best way to go about doing it to search the google keyword tool to see what has a few thousand views per month and then build a web page that focuses on that phrase? Maybe even title the page with that phrase... or, will you still get the same SEO results by just using that keyword phrase a few times on some of the current website pages?

Try mnf
    Google keyword tool is a great free tool. If you ever decide to buy a tool I would go for micro niche finder. I don't know how many sites you plan on building but it is worth the investment. One great feature that use to be available free at microsoft adlabs but is not now is OCI (online commercial intent). Although this is not a 100 percent, it will give you a percent for the keywords based on if people who search for that keyword will buy which increase your chances of picking keywords that will help you convert rather than ones that don't.

Keyword tools
    Google keyword is helpful but not entirely reliable as the results are not accurate, but it is a start and free.

Another great free tool is Traffic Travis, there is a paid version but the free version is brilliant.

ABW Ambassador
    Try using the keywords visible in the source code of high ranking competition.

Keyword research is a huge topic and sometimes general rules (like having a certain number of searches and competition) might do more harm than good in the long run. For example, you would look at different information if you were building a product review site, an authority site, etc.

When I do my research, some of the things I like to look at aside from the search volume is also filtering it by exact match as well as locality. If I'm mainly targeting US buyers because a CPA offer is only valid for US residents then obviously it would do me no good to look at global search volume.

Another thing that helps me decide whether a particular product or keyword is worth going for is looking at the Google Trends for the keyword. If it is on a downward trend over a few years then obviously it's not a good sign. Sometimes you might see spike due to the product being advertised on tv as well.

When it comes to tools, I like Traffic Travis and Market Samurai. I think these two are among the best in the market and both come with free versions which are already very powerful. Both also provide really good information on how to go about doing solid keyword research and best practices.

Hope that helps,
    Joshua

For your keyword research, think of somebody who would be interested in buying your products. What topic would these people be interested in? What would they type in the search engines? Once you know what those are, you have a pretty good idea what keywords you should use. Of course the keywords need to meet the proper search volume as well.

Another great way to find keywords is to go to forums related to your niche and see find out what topics your target market are talking about. What terms do they use? Forums are good because they represent a hub of data where users will search for solutions to specific concerns.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread