tracking at affiliate programs outside of the affiliate networks
    Hello,

I wanna start my cashback website, the first one in my country and it's almost done but now I'm a little bit confused. I know that through affiliate networks (like CJ, Shareasale,...) you can get enough info to know which member's account on your cashback site u should credit with money when they make a purchase. But here in my country most merchants use their own in-house affiliate programs on their website and I'm wondering how will I be able to see who needs to be credit?

P.S. my site will automatically equip member with user id and each click also has it's own ref id.

thank you

someone please?

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Red face
    Hi Rocoloco, there are many in-house programs that use their own technology to track affiliate sales. That technology comes with a web-based tracking/reporting application to help you track/analyze all your program results via your own unique login access. Often they are customizable. I run one in-house program currently and one on a network. They each have pros/cons.

Many experts favour using a network over an in-house solution for many reasons, but running an in-house program can still be a reliable option - one which largely appeals to businesses looking to cut corners on the expense that you'd incur on a network. And experienced, quality affiliates often prefer the networks as well though if you have a good program you can still do well on an in-house platform.

That said, consider the man (or woman) hours and the level of internal resources needed in order to *effectively* run a successful affilaite program in-house. It is a lot of work when a program is being managed well, like the entire separate marketing channel that it is.

Recruiting/nurturing those affiliate relationships is key, as is making sure that tracking is effective at all times, promotions kept fresh/relevant and that payments are going out regularly, on time. Networks have entire departments set up for the purpose of offering needed support to both affiliates and managers and to ensure the technical side of things is working right re: tracking and that payments are being processed/sent regularly and on time. Plus they already have a large pool of affiliates to draw from (though you can never rely 100% on that alone).

If your company has those resources and feels confident that you can "do it all" without any major problems then yes, an in-house program can be effective but it still requires a lot on the admin side - your company would be spending time/money on those resourcees as well as incurring the responsibility to stay on top of it all when you could be having all the technical and payment side of things handled by a reputable, trusted, third party network while your in-house (or outsourced) program manager handle the actual marketing/sales of the program for you above all else.

In my experience and in many others' professional experience in this business, in the grand scheme of things, a network is usually the better solution. But to reiterate those in-house solutions do come complete w/ what you need to track everything and analyze those results - they track which affiliate is referring what traffic through what links, on what order ID, etc etc etc.
    Last edited by e-Gazer; October 15th, 2010 at 10:28 AM.

thank you e gazer for your full answer.

just one more question,

i know when you run a cashback/reward site you need to equip retailers links with user IDs. But I dont understand how to do it for all the members of your site. So if I have 1000 members I must add a 1000 sub ID's to one link for one merchant or what? Or this user ID stands for my ID?

btw, my scripts instructions are:

Please DO NOT forget to add '{USERID}' to your affiliate link to track members.

http://www.shareasale.com/r.cfm?u=zzzzz&b=xxxxx&m=yyyyy&afftrack={USERID}

http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=xxxxx&offerid=12345&type=2&&subid={USERID}
    Last edited by rocoloco; October 15th, 2010 at 10:46 AM.

Hi Rocoloco,

I don't understand enough about your business model to be able to answer that for you, sorry. On one hand it sounds like you are wanting to run a merchant program but on the other hand you sound like you're talking about affiliate links of your own, to merchant sites.

I would suggest posing your question to the network or tracking solution provider you have chosen to work with. Their tech support people should be able to assist you better.

I'm sorry I wanna run affiliate program, I am an affiliate using a cashback website. So yes I'm talking about my link for merchant sites.

Cause in my website every member get's it's own user ID and I must include that into my link to the merchants site.

From what they have posted here, rocoloco is an affiliate who would like to run a cashback/rewards site using their affiliate links and they are asking how to track who clicks what and when. Networks do not handle that aspect other than offering subids or afftrack parameter.

I think that rocoloco could resolve the problem with a script but they will need to find someone who knows what and how to provide it and set it up. That is a coding or scripting question and not a network question. Good luck rocoloco.

thank you =)

would you mind to take a minute of your time to review admins page from a script a bought? Is it possible here to send private msg?

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    From what they have posted here, rocoloco is an affiliate who would like to run a cashback/rewards site using their affiliate links and they are asking how to track who clicks what and when. Networks do not handle that aspect other than offering subids or afftrack parameter.

I think that rocoloco could resolve the problem with a script but they will need to find someone who knows what and how to provide it and set it up. That is a coding or scripting question and not a network question. Good luck rocoloco.
    Thx 2busy. After going back and re-reading the original post, I thought that might be the case, too, especially since almost all cashback sites are affiliate sites not merchant sites. I had at first thought it a merchant question due to the OP asking about how to know who to pay when sales come through.

thank you =)
    would you mind to take a minute of your time to review admins page from a script a bought?
    You're welcome rocoloco.
    I'm very sorry I can't help you out with your script, I don't have a clue what kind of script you would need and couldn't guess whether the one you have will do what you want it to do. There are some others that come in here that might be able to help you out.
    PM rights come with participation in the forum, as outlined in the rules. I know that there are places like Rent-a-coder where you can post the job you need done and people who know how to do what you need will bid on the job. I haven't seen any detailed discussions here at ABW about a script like the one you want.

I understand.

Btw my page is almost finished, a bough a script specially designed for cashback website and it's a good script for a start. All members are automatically equiped with ID and script also offers clicks reference numbers, program ID, transcation ID...

I just become confused cause here in our country almost all merchants have their own inhouse affiliate programs and I dont know what kind of info about sales I could get from them...but I will contact them when I'm ready for business and we will see.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread