ABW Ambassador
    Overstock Nearly Forcing Email Subscriptions to be Part of Program
    Recently I got this strange email and the only thing it had in the content was "TEST" plus it had an attachment. I just seen it as spam as the sender name also looked strange so I just deleted it without spending anymore time on it.

I then received another one from the same sender with the attachment again:

Dear Partner,

The attached PDF is Overstock.com's weekly scorecard which will be sent each Tuesday moving forward. If you would like to opt out of this email, please email Affiliategroup@overstock.com and include the following:

1) Your Name
    2) The email address the scorecard was sent to
    3) Your CJ CID

Additionally, if you would like us to send this report to a different email address or person within your company, please provide the information above for that account/individual.

Feel free to reach out to us with any questions, comments, or ideas regarding the scorecard (or any other matter).

Best,

The Overstock.com Affiliate Team
    I looked at the PDF, it had nothing that interested me so I thought no problem I will unsubscribe, oh wait I have to send all my details to unsubscribe so I wrote the letter as requested and put all the requested info to unsubscribe from this weekely email I never remembered subscribing to in the first place. I also noticed they are using my email from Linkshare, not the CJ one.

So I send the email off saying " Hi, I don't want this email anymore, I can't recall requesting it actually! (plus all my details)...

So I then get an email back as follows:

Should we be sending this scorecard to someone else in your company? If not, are you still interested in being a part of the Overstock.com affiliate program?

So I write back:

you asked me if I wanted to receive this score card and these emails so I replied that I don't want to receive them as I personally don't see what use they are to me and now your asking if I want to continue to be on your affiliate program?

Are you the affiliate manager for Overstock, seems a very strange way you conduct business and especially your email communications?
    I then get this back today:

We are trying to make sure our partners have the tools they need to make the relationship as profitable as possible (for both of us). Because the scorecard gives some very detailed information about sales, I am surprised when someone could not see how the information could help them optimize their profits. It makes me wonder how committed they are to the relationship.
    it makes me wonder where they get these affiliate managers sometimes?
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Just block the sender, unsolicited emails especially with attachments should be discarded immediately

Email everyday almost
    I have a small Publisher account and am joined to the "O" i get an email almost everyday. It is so annoying. I wonder if the managers have any idea, its like they are just out of High School.

Just delete the emails, it only takes about .5 seconds. In the time it took you to post this, you could have probably deleted Overstock emails for the next 2 years.

I get 100-200 affiliate promo emails in an average day. Its easy to just delete.

Quote Originally Posted by dagaul101 View Post
    Just block the sender, unsolicited emails especially with attachments should be discarded immediately
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris1 View Post
    Just delete the emails, it only takes about .5 seconds. In the time it took you to post this, you could have probably deleted Overstock emails for the next 2 years.

I get 100-200 affiliate promo emails in an average day. Its easy to just delete.
    Here's the problem with these 2 solutions. Merchants sometimes use e-mail to communicate important information to affiliates.

Many merchants complain that affiliates don't maintain current e-mail addresses or discard their e-mails prior to reading. Many affiliates (me among them) complain that some merchants send too many useless e-mails. The problem is that I want the important information that merchants send. I want to know about new deals and promotions. I want to know about hot new products or trends within their product groups. I want to know about changes in their program terms that may affect the way that I (should) promote them. What I don't want is my time wasted with non-relevant information or repeat e-mails.

Simply deleting the e-mails without reading them or adding them to my SPAM list means that I also miss out on the important bits of information that they also may send, so that really isn't a very good solution.

Now as far as deleting a weekly e-mail with an attachment that the OP posted about, I don't really see that as a problem. I could easily create a rule to have that automatically deleted or moved to a folder. What I do find problematic is the arrogance of the AM when he questions an affiliates commitment because he doesn't find a tool of the AM's creation useful.

I also would find an e-mail "almost everyday" from any program annoying. And because of the reasons stated above, I would feel compelled to open and at least scan them to ascertain if there was anything of value contained in them. That's a lot of wasted time. It's a pity that some AMs don't consider our time important.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post

Now as far as deleting a weekly e-mail with an attachment that the OP posted about, I don't really see that as a problem. I could easily create a rule to have that automatically deleted or moved to a folder. What I do find problematic is the arrogance of the AM when he questions an affiliates commitment because he doesn't find a tool of the AM's creation useful.

I also would find an e-mail "almost everyday" from any program annoying. And because of the reasons stated above, I would feel compelled to open and at least scan them to ascertain if there was anything of value contained in them. That's a lot of wasted time. It's a pity that some AMs don't consider our time important.

-rematt
    So true
    Last edited by Service Merchant; October 29th, 2010 at 02:52 PM.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread