Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    How did your growth come about... was it geometric or exponential?

Did you earnings tend to gradually increase month-to-month and you grind it out (geometrically), or is there a point you reach where you have more visitors and therefore more 'voices' talking about your site and suddenly it 'takes off' (exponentially).

ABW Ambassador
    geometric for me

I wonder if there are that many people "talking about your site" with affiliate sites. I probably talk about sites more than most people and I can't honestly say I've brought up an affiliate site other than my own.

I guess that's what Mike means when he says putting value in a click.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I wonder if there are that many people "talking about your site" with affiliate sites. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lots of people talk about content sites. Mine just appeared in a major magazine, surprisingly.

I agree that a pure affiliate shopping type site may not get much publicity, but even then, I've seen some top-rated shopping sites get talked about.

No it was really amazing.. i just woke up one day and was told i could make a millione online so i started the very next day and was earning 100,000 within 2 days.. im not retired...

wish they had told me sooner

T'was on a cold dark damp and foggy night I was poring over my CJ stats and wondering how I could get them to show more than $10.00 per month when the clock struck twelve. I jumped up and suddenly remembered I was tired and needed to go to bed before the man in red came.

I had just hung my stocking on the mantlepiece when he arrived. I had not even had time to get to bed. Suddenly he saw me and at the same time as I saw him, then he saw the milk and biscuits on the coffee table and started to guzzle them as if he had not eaten for 12 months, yet I knew this was impossible as he was so fat and rounded with his full cheeks covered in a snow white beard. He drank and ate his fill then sat down and bade me to sit at his side.

I sat down my eyes glazed in disbelief, is it really him I thought to myself? he looked into my eyes and without me saying a word he said "yes it is I, and for your kindness and generosity in leaving me these lovely biscuits and milk I would like to reward you. What can I do to repay you?" So I told him I wanted to make more than $10.00 per month with CJ and it just happened. I guess I do believe in Father Xmas now............ But

(ah yes there is always a but) as some people were watching us earn more and more they decided they would like a slice of this cake so they got some very talented programmers to write programs for them that would steal and divert our commissions to their accounts. We were all up in arms and wrote and telephoned CJ and Linkshare and they all got together one November and wrote a COC that all affiliates had to adhere to or be kicked out of all the Networks.

We continued to police certain parasites because we knew they were owned by thieves, lawyers, conmen, vagabonds and their likes and sure enough we found them stealing time after time after time. This happened so much that we wrote and telephoned all the Networks who came up with a brilliant solution "We will change the COC so the parasites are no longer not in compliance".

Oh dear I got carried away, you only wanted to know how I got to earn over $5000.00 per month not how it happened to go back down to $500.00 per month.

You can bet your bottom dollar this year I will be staying up all night in the hopes I see my fat friend in red again, because I know for sure the Networks are not going to help me get back to $5000.00 per month, I think it will take another miracle for that to happen.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

exponentially

This my 4th year and I doubt if anyone talks about my site either. But, the amount of traffic from bookmarks has grown steadily from 0 to 22% of my overall traffic. Overall income doubled during the first two years and tripled last year. The growth has steadily increased in year 4 and now I'm a lot more concerned about income tax issues than watching my stats.
    ~Ernie

Gordon:

Your posts are getting more and more entertaining ... you're not going off the deep end, are you?

I've seen both--geometrically and exponentially. The exponential growth usually comes first. Sites can easily double or triple month over month as things catch on. Once the newness wears off, it becomes more geometric and takes more work to grow.

People still do talk about sites. I've had sites featured and/or mentioned in: WSJ, PC World, Time, US News & World Report, Yahoo Internet Life, Computer Shopper, the Dallas Morning News, Better Homes & Gardens, The Other Half (TV show), Tech TV, and a variety of other magazines, newspapers, and radio programs. It's definitely slowed, but if you have something truly useful, people will talk about it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Exponentially.

Here is how it is done.

SPELL FOR GOOD RESULTS IN AFFILIATE MARKETING

Needed: one dark quiet place where you won't be interrupted, a black mirror or one dark bowl filled with water, cinnamon, a small piece of paper money (a small corner will do), a green candle, scented purpose oil (patchouli will do).

Focus on your goal (must be very specific, not subject to misinterpretation and not harmful to others). Dress candle with the oil toward yourself to attract the desired result. Light the candle so that the flame is reflected in the mirror or the water. Look into the reflection of the flame. Create a chant about the goal entreating the deity chosen. Visualize the goal accomplished in the here and now. Continue the chant while you burn the cinnamon and money offering in the flame. Continue the chant until you see nothing but the accomplished goal.

Say, "And, if it harm none, so mote it be". Thank the deity. You are done.

Allow the candle to burn until nothing remains. (Start with a small one for this.) Otherwise, take to leftover wax to a quiet, safe place and bury it.

---------------------------------------------

Notes: Research your deity in advance. Other herbs and oils may work better for you but these are good ones. It is OK to compose and write down your chant in advance.

Additional note: This won't work unless you make some pages. The more pages and sites you make you make, the more strength your spell will have!

Others just pray. That works for some, too.

Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I think you maybe get several phases, or at least I did:

Firstly, you toil away for ages on sites that don't attract visitors and don't sell. Income is virtually zero, or even negative after you consider your expenses.

Eventually things start to pay off. You can identify some market niches and start to generate some income in the order of a few hundred dollars a month perhaps. As you continually add sites and try new things, your income increases geometrically.

But then (possibly quite suddenly) you manage to combine all the right things for a site and you hit paydirt. Sales go through the roof - maybe from nothing to thousands of dollars in the space of a few weeks. So of course, you see that it's working and therefore you continue to exploit the niche or technique you used to keep the earnings growing.

BUT..

Remember this whole thing is like swimming against the tide. As you swim towards your aim of a luxury mansion in Malibu, you're struggling against competition (not all of it ethical), parasites and the changing whims of search engines. Sometimes you won't be able to beat the tide, but the important thing is to keep swimming.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't make 5k, but my growth has been logarithmic. Explosive growth early on, but it leveled off after a while.

It's actually declining, but that's my fault.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Karl wrote:
    Gordon:

Your posts are getting more and more entertaining ... you're not going off the deep end, are you? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I think it's that "secret ingredient" Pauline has been lacing his food with...

Andy

I build traffic first, loosely focused around travel & relocation, where I already have a revenue source other than affiliate income. Then I look/wait for programs that will dovetail into the sites.

I've found that advertising and aff revenue sources tend to come and go. While one is performing, I tend to leave it alone but when it dries up I start looking for replacements. I might replace a merchant with a sponsorship campaign, or banners, or -lately- adsense. I purposely try to stay well-versed in different ways of having the checks come in so I don't become dependent or, more importantly, lose sight of how web publishing (for profit) is changing year-to-year.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    My growth has been more like "geometrically exponential"
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gordon:
    We continued to police certain parasites because we knew they were owned by thieves, lawyers, conmen, vagabonds and their likes <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice post Gordon, but why did you mention lawyers when your other categories automatically include them?

Growth - mainly geometric, but the occasional and very welcome exponential saltationist leap.

I'd say mainly geometric if you average everything out, but sometimes every few months or so I hit a nice exponential leap. Of course on the flip side, there's also that exponential decline. I think the key is getting frequent exponential leaps, but that's tricky! Hopefully I can figure out a nice pattern to achieve this.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Definitely geometric.

I build one thing and refine and polish it to max profitability. Then let it run with min maintenance and start building another.

I often fail to make a new project profitable enough to add to my collection. I take it down and park it waiting for something remarkable to change - new vendor or quantum change in the equation.

My geo growth comes each time I polish one successfully.

About 1 in 3 times I get it to work really well - where each takes roughly 3 months to run it's course to tweak it - and I start a new one each month (so I usually have 3 main ideas in various development stages at any one time).

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Gosh, there's sooooooooo much more than creating links......

Off the top of my head...

Get a good domain name that applies to what you feature

market to your visitors - regardless of what the "experts" say

diversify and niche

subscribe to all the relevent newsletters and boards like abw, and try any of the suggestions

be open to new suggestions and technologies and trends

experiment

go with your gut instincts

when you find a merchant or product that converts, promote it from every concievable angle

don't be afraid to ask a merchant for a "raise". commission structures aren't written in stone

there's a lot more, but like I said, this is just off the top of my head

all the above is the result of 8 years of 24/7 trial and error, so was is exponential or geometric? Don't know.

But the last 2-3 years, all the puzzle pieces got fitted together nicely where I live comfortably, and can pretty much work when and if I want (except for my one friggin' site that I have to update coupon codes when they expire!!!)

Great replies so far.

This raises another question along the lines of growth: When do you ask merchants for a raise? How can you figure out how important you are to them and how you compare to similar affiliates.

When percent of your merchants are you getting the standard commission and with what percent are you getting more?

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Work your butt off just to stay even sometimes, but learning new tech stuff, marketing, coding, the whole time til, someday you really have what it takes.

By the way, if you double 1 cent each day to 2,4,8 cents etc for 31 days, the total is 2^31 = about 15 million dollars!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I must have done it wrong I never got to 15 million. I had ten then twenty million. I remember learing this years ago. Still amazing isn't it?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Exponential for a long time, until it got to the point where adding another site didn't make that much difference.

If you have 1 site that's doing well, and you do another one and it does just as well, that = double earnings.

But if you have 25 sites, it takes adding *another* 25 sites to have the same doubling effect (if they all perform the same).

So, eventually there is a point where it becomes unlikely to be able to double earnings without undertaking a truly massive project!

Plus--not all sites in the stable will perform equally even if the same formula is in place. Some will do great, while others may do nothing.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    Steadily going up each month. Slight increase in pages, overall still under 1,000. SE traffic goes up each month, bookmarks taking a big increase this year, and a litte more PPC sprinkled on top of that. So geometrically.

In December will be some of that exponentially stuff. Have 2 local TV stations lined up and another major city station will do a story. First year i did this got some TV coverage* and there was a nice spike, unfortunately they did the story around Dec. 20, little too late for the online stuff

Next year the focus will be doing some of the stuff mentioned in the Traffic Brainstorm thread. Focus on offline advertising and lose any dependancy on the SE's. Major site is almost there.

*Shocking seeing yourself on TV after going from 185 to 220 in 1 year sitting on your ass all day. But almost back to normal

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Heyder, you are correct. It's 21 million dollars after 31 days!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast