Is there any way to determine which vendors are most trusted?
    Hello all,

I'm looking into several different possible vendors/advertisers for saxophone-related products.

I've been accepted into several different affiliate programs, but I'm wondering which one to choose.

Are there any resources out there that provide data as to the industry popularity and customer experience of companies?

Thanks!

Doron

You can try to test merchants alone:
    - try to get in contact with them by email - compare response time
    - try to ask for help with integration of their campaign to your website - Are their answers helpful ?
    - try to call them - personal contact with affiliate manager can help you in the future, also you can get some tips what works and what doesn't
    [SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]Viktor Zeman[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [B][URL=http://www.qualityunit.com/]Quality Unit [/URL][/B] Founder and [B][URL=http://www.qualityunit.com/postaffiliatepro/]Post Affiliate Pro[/URL][/B] developer

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Hi there,

I recommend establishing contact w/ the affiliate managers first, to open a dialogue and get more info on the programs you're interested in, as suggested above. Find out how the program is managed, whether they're responsive, or interested in having a real relationship with their affiliates or not.

In the case of lower ticket items (or where budget allows), it's not a bad idea to go through the order process yourself, to see what their customer experience is actually like if it's something that is important to you before promoting them.

In the case of high ticket items it may not be possible (I know musical instruments are not cheap) to place an order at every merchant you are interested in promoting... but if you can, it's a great way to find out for yourself, first-hand.

Alternatively, you could contact customer service with some questions about product from a customer standpoint - see how they handle you. If they are service oriented, have a good quality website, a quality product, fair prices, and anything else that is important to you in promoting a product it should help you make your decision.

You can also search around the web for reviews of the brand on customer review/rating websites (vs. affiliate or paid placement sites) to see what people are saying, what kind of feedback they have to offer.

For info from the industry, search the discussion forums for threads including their name. Good way to find out a history of how good they've been to work with from an affiliate standpoint (or not).

Good luck!
    Last edited by e-Gazer; October 19th, 2010 at 08:25 AM.

There are a lot of sites and forums online that specialize in customer complaints, so a search of the company name can turn up problems pretty quick. I wouldn't limit myself to promoting only one supplier, look at the program's terms and decide who gets top billing as long as everything else is equal. Sometimes one supplier only ships via UPS or something like that which limits customer's options so check out all your choices before you start and you will have a better idea of which programs to give preference to.

These are great tips. So much of affiliate marketing is about relationships. As an AM, I've found that even when we are having problems with our site or when we make a mistake, if you are upfront and honest with your affiliates, they are understanding and are loyal. I would get in touch with the AM and see what they're about. If them seem like they really care about you and your success, I would say they are a keeper. Sometimes knowing that you can reach someone who will listen means more than an extra $5 commission from someone who doesn't reply to your emails.

Wow, thank you all for the great advice, it's very appreciated, and I will do everything you recommend now.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread