ABW Ambassador
    I haven't loaded XP Service Pack 2 yet, but just received this from SBC:

Dear SBC Internet Services Member:

If you are currently using the Windows XP Operating System on any of your computers that access the Internet via SBC Internet Services, this courtesy message is for you. Users of other operating systems are not affected.

In August, Microsoft Corporation will be offering Windows XP users an update called "Service Pack 2". You may hear about the Service Pack 2 update in the news, on the Internet, or by seeing prompts on your computer screen telling you to load a "Critical Upgrade" to Windows.

Service Pack 2 provides a series of security enhancements for the Windows XP operating system. These new updates and features may cause your Internet service and other software on your computer to behave differently.

If you are using a firewall on your XP computer, you will need to go to the firewall manufacturer's website and load any software updates they provide for Service Pack 2. Although we do not provide support for firewall software, you can find information and web-links for the major firewall companies at:

Zone Alarm: http://www.zonelabs.com
    Norton Personal Firewall: http://www.symantec.com/sabu/nis/npf/
    McAfee Personal Firewall Plus: http://www.secureie.com/c/002/firewa...word=firewall&
    For problems with other software, please check the manufacturer's website for information and Service Pack 2 software updates.

If you would like to know more about the Windows XP Service Pack 2 update, please refer to the Microsoft site at http://support.microsoft.com/windowsxpsp2 or call 1-888-SP2-HELP (1-888-772-4357).

Sincerely,

SBC Internet Services

Got mine too, but I'm not doing anything for the time being. Heard too many horror stories.

i don't want to be the Ginnie pig either. The last thing i need is for software to stop working

i have a hard enough time not getting sidetracked as it is
    dave

Mine downloaded yesterday morning. It took about 30 minutes to download and install on a DSL line.

The one problem that I found is, I like to use .shtml files, and I have learned to randomly select a few to make sure everything is alright before uploading them. With the new XPv2, my .shtml files wouldn't load up in IE6 right off of my machine BEFORE uploading (they work fine when loaded from a server.)

I found a fix on micro$oft's site in case anyone else has this problem as well:

Associating a file extension with a file type

Other than that and all the "newness" of some of the features, everything seems OK so far on my front.
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

well, I've lived through it now. only real problem I had was that it caused my machine to lose track of the gateway IP number. telling it to go get a fresh one worked on the second try, but it took maybe a half hour to do the job.

seems OK now but with some of the stuff I have on this box it may take a while to find other problems.

http and a telephoto
    On my laptop it killed the virtual memory settings and can't seem to let me get anything done that needs a BIG paging file. Still looking into how to handle that. I do a lot of batch processing with a graphics program and it needs a big ol' scratch disk..... I have the space but Windows is ignoring it!!!!!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Mine installed before I had a chance to hear all the horror stories. No problems here. The popup blocker is AWESOME. It gets all the ones that other blockers used to miss.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Mine installed fine. However, all of a sudden, it is blocking cookies from a certain CJ merchant. I've tried several other aff links via CJ and their all fine - cept this one merchant. Gotta try and figure out what is going on. Sigh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> needs a BIG paging file. Still looking into how to handle that <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

start | settings | control panel | system

&gt;system | advanced | performance | advanced

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Herb Ô¿Ô¬:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> needs a BIG paging file. Still looking into how to handle that <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

start | settings | control panel | system

&gt;system | advanced | performance | advanced <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yup, reset that to system managed when I realized that the upgrade changed it to a ridiculously low number. It still isn't working right, so I need to pick a big number and try that.
    Deborah Carney

if you happen to have more than one hard drive, with good space available on both, you can also let the second one be used.

http and a telephoto
    Yup, big external drives and space allocated on them too. That is why I am confused why it isn't using the space.
    Deborah Carney

I remember going through this once, long ago. Can't remember how to tell the computer to use the extra drive but I know it is very possible.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread