Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi All,

I have a web directory and I just started putting banners on my site. Believe it or not I feel crappy about it. I find that it takes away from the quality and the look of the site. I know that most websites have banners and it never bothered me unless the sites are filled with banners, popups/popunder.

I am planning to offer an advertising program in the future so I guess I better get used to it.

I know that I am writing this post in an affiliate forum and that the practice is, I guess normal but how do you feel about banners on websites?

If you'd like I can post a link to a page from the website that has a banner and you could tell me what you think.

I've had some success using banners on a shopping mall site. As expected, the banners get very few clicks compared to text links. But,
    my pages without any banners get less clicks on the text links. Maybe our instinct to avoid clicking banners points us to the text links? I don't know, but I think a limited number of banners is a good thing.
    ~Ernie

Well feeling Cheesy can't be all bad . . .

I have banner ads on nearly every page of my sites and they contribute about 3 % total revenue.

My 2 cents is: If you don't like them, lose them. You won't go to the poor-house over it.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> the banners get very few clicks compared to text links. But,
    my pages without any banners get less clicks on the text links <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

i only add a banner if it adds to the site. I have some sites with no banners at all. The ones i do have banners on only have one per page.
    dave

Internet Cowboy
    I use banners mostly for crossover products or advertisers.
    They work in the right spots!

The site is a directory and the banners are specific to the categories. People come to the site for information and click through to specific categories to look for specific things. So I guess a banner that is relative to the category can help the visitor find what they are looking for.

I'm just to fussy.

It's funny I feel like I'm spamming my own site.

I use banners as a place holder where the real products will go when I get to that page or area. Or, to mark a spot while I find the right merchant.

It helps me lay things out.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I always try to use banners. I work them into the design of my site. They don't take away from anything. I'm here to make money not pretty little pages that webmasters like.

ABW Ambassador
    Just say no to banners is my philosophy.

I had my first (and only) sale from a banner the day I decided to pull them all from my site.

Text links work so much better.

Banners are ok as long as you design your page to hold them. My best pages have both text links and banners. I design the banner elements to help with the over all appearance of the page. They can be used to guide the customer around the page.

Best of all if the banner has a coupon or special sale on it. It can get more hits than a text link only.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

For directory sites, Google AdSense can work much better than general banners - AdSense can pick up and target keywords amazingly well, and the clickthrough rate tends to be much better.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Thank you for all you replies. After all I've read I'm still not sure. I guess I need an opinion on how it looks.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    A truly ironic banner for you would be a Cheese People banner.

Considering the type of site you have, I'd say banners are not only appropriate, they're probably expected by the viewing public (assuming their ad blocker doesn't flush 'em).

I put banners at the bottom of my product pages. The pages are framed and not long so it's not too far to scroll to get to them. If the banners match in some way with the products displayed (which are wholesale only, so unavailable to most visitors) on the site the ctr can reach 5%. Conversion sucks though. If I put text links at the bottom the ctr is 0.

http and a telephoto
    Frames!!! YUCK!!! Plus check the TOS for your merchants, many don't allow framed pages as they have been pointing out a lot lately.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I'm a frames crank, I've had great success with my framed site. From an seo perspective anyway there's an awful lot you can achieve with them.

I don't frame merchants' pages if that's what you mean, the links either open in a new window or usually I set them to open _top, CJ links use _top as the default as you know. No different from a non framed site.

Oh...A link farm.

Was this a subtle spam?

Have at it with thebanners, your merchants won't mind with the type of frames you're using.

Fred

Frames can be done and utilized well - if the merchant does not want them, chat them up and show them why you prefer frames.

If the merchant still does not want them, work for there competitor. Then contact them back showing how the 10K you made could have been theres but for the frame issue! My favorite conversation when it comes to working with a difficult merchant!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Oh...A link farm.

Was this a subtle spam?

Have at it with thebanners, your merchants won't mind with the type of frames you're using.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Come again?

Sandra, I've been in touch with a few am's and they've never raised the issue of frames, can't imagine why any would.

Sorry, I should have separated out the comment about the frames (was not negative btw). The frames comment was for Davros.

Fred

http and a telephoto
    Sorry, not all frames are evil. Iframes are evil. But each likes their own style, so, sorry if I offended anyone. Sandra's frames are innovative and cool
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buy_online:
    Oh...A link farm.

Was this a subtle spam?

Fred <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A link farm only has urls and no descriptions. I guess we can call every directory on the internet a link farm including dmoz and yahoo.

I have removed the link from my previous post. If any of you have believed that I have misused my privilege to post topics for spamming I excuse myself those were never my intentions.

Thank you for all your replies

ABW Ambassador

It is okay to put banners on your site.

We all have to sell something in life to make a living, even if it is just our labor.

Some banners, at least in my opinion, can add to the overall artistic look of a web page if chosen well. Some merchants have good graphics artists working for them while others have not a clue as to what looks good artwise.

I'd suggest a well illustrated book of art history as a good grounding for developing your
    judgement in matters of graphics and art.

You know the old saying, " A picture is worth a thousand words."

RadarCat
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

I felt the same way. I ran my site about five years before I added banners, and I hated doing it, but my affiliate earnings were very low at that point -- I had to use ads or shut down the site.

I won't run any ad that I feel is the slightest bit sleazy (Fastclick lets you choose which ads you want to run). I spend a LOT of time checking out every potential advertiser's website, and if they don't have contact info on the site or seem even slightly suspicious or tacky, I don't approve the ads.

So I'm not earning as much as I could, but still doing pretty well, earning a lot more from CPM banners and popunders (one per sesssion) than from affiliate sales, even though my affiliate sales have bounced back.

I no longer feel bad about having advertising on the site. After all, most of the sites I visit regularly have advertising, and I don't hold it against them. TV has ads, and I still watch TV. It is OK for webmasters to make a living, too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast