Should I have a "links"" page on my blog?
    Hey all,

I was thinking that it would be important for me to get back-links from established blogs, and one way to do that would be for me to have a "links" page where I would list all of the links to sites that agreed to link to me in return.

My concern is that this is yet another way for users to exit my site before clicking on an affiliate placement.

Sounds petty, I know, but I'm wondering what your thoughts are on whether the SEO benefits of getting backlinks outweigh the potential for people to bounce from my site when they could have stayed on clicked on affiliate ads.

Your opinions are much appreciated!

Having a links page will not inspire other sites to link to your site. The best links to (and from) your site will not be on a links page, but rather in articles or posts where something about the other site is part of the topic under discussion and where the text in the text link reinforces the link destination's keywords.

Outsourced Program Manager Ross Yamashita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dorono View Post

My concern is that this is yet another way for users to exit my site before clicking on an affiliate placement.
    Agree with 2busy. That, coupled with what you acknowledged here ^^.

The site at the other end of the deal would be at equal advantage or disadvantage.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

The only links I place on my site are affiliate links...

I chose the long & winding road for backlinks - build good content, and hope to get linked for that content. It's my view that it pays off in the long run.

You have to ask why an established blog would want to link to you? They may be protecting affiliate links as well - plus link exchanges don't really work anymore, G got wise to the whole concept (sidebar: anyone remember webrings??). Better to spend time building your own site with your own vision.

Wow, unanimous support of the "no links page" option. Well I guess I know what I need to do, thanks SO MUCH guys!

If what you are thinking of is a link exchange page, those are becoming less and less valuable. Essentially, you could create one, call it a variety of names (resources, related links, friendly sites, links, partners, etc.), and make it one of the least noticed links on the page by putting it on the footer. Essentially, most link exchange partners are not too concerned about whether people can find the links, but just that the search engines can.

But in reality, you'd be better off building links on forums, blog comments, article marketing, etc. Those are less likely to be penalized. I know because I used to work at a link exchange company, and several of our clients were penalized by Google and dropped out of the index completely for a month or more.

Thanks Kristi!

Yep, I totally see your point, and am nixing the idea of a links page, and instead offering links where relevant in my content. I want my site to contain useful and actionable information, and not just be a link farm.

Quote Originally Posted by dorono View Post
    Hey all,

I was thinking that it would be important for me to get back-links from established blogs, and one way to do that would be for me to have a "links" page where I would list all of the links to sites that agreed to link to me in return.
    In my opinion, it is an unnecessary step. It is due to following reasons:

1. Nobody is interested to get reciprocal link from a link spam page

2. Importance of reciprocal linking is over and you cannot expect any benefit from it

3. In blogs people prefer links from articles

Yeah, like others have said above it's often better to have links placed within relevant posts or articles etc. This will give the links more authority and relevance rather than having a page that has just been spammed with links. Google may not give those links pages as much authority also.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread