Question Isn't a catalog reproduction a mistake?
    Isn't it a mistake to just recreate the merchant's datafeed? For example, I am using WordPress and I saw plugins that would take a datafeed and generate posts based upon the datafeed, one item gets one post, so you would have 24k posts or the like.

But doesn't Google dislike stuff like that? I can't see any reason to do this.

Or does it work? Seems like if it were that easy everyone would be doing it.

I have been using merchant's datafeeds on my sites for ten years now and that is where all of my sales come from.

G is on my sites all day every day indexing my pages and most of my pages will come up on the first page in the G search results.

Merchant's datafeeds are the way you make your money in affiliate marketing.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; October 21st, 2010 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    I have been using merchant's datafeeds on my sites for ten years now and that is where all of my sales come from.

G is on my sites all day every day indexing my pages and most of my pages will come up on the first page in the G search results.

Merchant's datafeeds are the way you make your money in affiliate marketing.
    Do you cloak links? Sorry if too personal.

Nope. G knows they are affiliate links. If you have a page with the item searched for that page will come up on the G search results.

I have one site that has 650,000 pages on it. Which had you rather have - a 10 page website that gives you ten chances of coming up on a search results or 650,000 chances of coming up on a search result?

On my sites you can find all of the pages on the site from any one page on the site. If any one of your pages comes up - they have your whole site to shop on.

If you're only reproducing merchant datafeeds, without any original content, then your site will get lost among thousands of others (considered duplicate content)... so yes, you're right that Google wouldn't think much of it.

BurgerBoy has an established site, which is quite different to a new domain.

A few years ago, you could build a datafeed site and get indexed & ranked - it's not that easy now. You need to offer something unique/different - for me, that's content, with datafeeds used as a support tool.

Datafeeds add pages, but you need to make sure those pages contain something unique.
    Last edited by teezone; October 21st, 2010 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    if you're only reproducing merchant datafeeds, without any original content, then your site will get lost among thousands of others (considered duplicate content)... So yes, you're right that google wouldn't think much of it.

Burgerboy has an established site, which is quite different to a new domain.

A few years ago, you could build a datafeed site and get indexed & ranked - it's not that easy now. You need to offer something unique/different - for me, that's content, with datafeeds used as a support tool.

Datafeeds add pages, but you need to make sure those pages contain something unique.
    +1

Nope. G knows they are affiliate links. If you have a page with the item searched for that page will come up on the G search results.
    Google doesn't have to know... one way is to keep "buy" links JS-only. (However, I use a totally different method)

I have one site that has 650,000 pages on it. Which had you rather have - a 10 page website that gives you ten chances of coming up on a search results or 650,000 chances of coming up on a search result?

On my sites you can find all of the pages on the site from any one page on the site. If any one of your pages comes up - they have your whole site to shop on.
    Same here, though my system went online just 6 months back. Lot of pages (spamdexing!?) , lot of merchants, millions of products, dedi db server... integrated search from any page.

Yes, Domain-age has turned out to be a very important factor. I put all my old domains to use, for the rest I'm just twiddling thumbs till they get old
    Last edited by netmktg; October 22nd, 2010 at 08:28 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    If you're only reproducing merchant datafeeds, without any original content, then your site will get lost among thousands of others (considered duplicate content)... so yes, you're right that Google wouldn't think much of it.

BurgerBoy has an established site, which is quite different to a new domain.

Each page of the datafeed or just some uniqueness of the "supplemental" stuff?

Isn't this the same question you asked again today?

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread