ABW Ambassador
    What's this? Maybe i'm reading this wrong (still sleepy) but it seems they want their own pop up advertising BHO something, even see a reference to Gator.

http://appft1.uspto.gov/...."Anderson,+Darrell"

[Truncated massively long URL that was messing up the formatting - Dynamoo]

Since all references "Client side" it isn't adsense.

I'm hoping that this isn't part-in-parcel to the rumors of the google-mozilla browser release.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Well looks like it may be another good reason for people to stop using google.

I thought Google was against pop up advertising. I doubt a new browser will go over big anyway, even if it does come from Google. People are happy with IE by and large, especially now that Microsoft seems to be attempting to fix it.

Microsoft is still going to dominate the browser market, I can't see Google making much headway, but you never know I guess.

Google should really be spending these resources in fixing its SERPs, as they are still not as valid as they should be. I'm finding more and more on MSN lately, and Alta Vista seems to be the best of the bunch.

Andy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Google doesn't comment about products it hasn't released yet - Google <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

... but will try to answer questions regarding the app and address any concerns of the affiliate community, obviously I'll keep everyone posted.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    Doesn't this describe their current setup in opera?

ABW Ambassador
    As far as "Google should really be spending these resources in fixing its SERPs, as they are still not as valid as they should be."

There's a misconception that overall people think the SERPS are messed up, that mainly comes from affiliates, webmasters etc. Online consumers (our target) love them:

http://www.inc.com/criticalnews/arti...08/search.html

So besides some tweaks every now and then, what you see is what you'll be getting and people overall are satisfied with Google.

As far as the Google advertising/BHO stuff, just have to wait and see. Were they planning it for Google advertisers (adwords) or advertising like the other BHO's. They know people don't like this stuff, that's why their toolbar comes with the pop blocker. Also if this comes out, how will they distribute it? I can't imagine too many people wanting to get something that causes more advertising to pop all over the place. Would Google give them something to entice the dl? It could be one of those things that never comes to fruition, time will tell.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1:
    Also if this comes out, how will they distribute it? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Haiko:
    I'm hoping that this isn't part-in-parcel to the rumors of the google-mozilla browser release. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

????
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Trust,

I was doing research this weekend for a non-affiliate site of mine. I typed in specifically what I was looking for at Google, and found everything BUT what I was looking for! This was not an item you would buy, it was factual, historical information.

After over an hour of clicking on sites listed in Google, I went to MSN and found exactly what I was looking for - specifically - on the third site listed. This was not a commercial or affiliate site, but a content site, so it should have been ranked highly in Google, yet it wasn't. Instead I got hundreds of junk sites, and irrelevant returns on my search.

That is what I'm talking about, and it seems to be happening with quite a bit of regularity on Google lately.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    "I'm hoping that this isn't part-in-parcel to the rumors of the google-mozilla browser release."

Haiko, i've always liked facts over rumors Something real, not speculation. Even though that might be the way. Time will tell.

I know Andy, sometimes i get those results too, i'm talking overall people are satisfied, you'll never have 100% satisfaction with anything.

Would the google toolbar popup blocker block googles popups, or would google block everyone elses popups except their own, interesting situation.

Can they patent something that is already being done by the BHO's out there.

Or could it be that by patenting the process, in effect the BHO's popping up ads now would then have to stop, unless they paid google of course.

Could it really be that now google has gone public they are turning to dirty tactics in pursuit of the dollar.

I don't know much about patents or anything. But how do you guys know this is google? Is one of their CEOs names listed in the patent?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andy:
    I thought Google was against pop up advertising. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You gotta make enough money to justify that market cap somehow!

Seriously, Google is mentioned in the Patent all of three times and only one is a reference to "Google Viewer".

They aren't mentioned as an "applicant". Is this a Google thing? Where's the connection?
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

ABW Ambassador
    Was from a newsletter i get, link said Google. And searching on one of the names:

http://www.cs.duke.edu/~anderson/index.php

Also all those guys are based in Mountain View, where Google is based.

We should send BLFH undercover, get him drunk, throw some of that Southern charm his way and make him divulge some Google algo secrets

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> We should send BLFH undercover, get him drunk, throw some of that Southern charm his way and make him divulge some Google algo secrets <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>All we need is B's PayPal account, and we'll start a fund drive to get her up there! Google secrets here she comes!!

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    Sounds like a plan. What do you say BLFH
    Maybe take Gordon too, i've heard Gordon in a dress is a head turner.

I've always wondered if these Google PHD's do a little SEO on the side for clients or themselves. Or their friends. You know college buddies. Or if one day one of their children got mad at them and started a forum divulging algo secrets somehow. Something like that

Just so you guys know. Google is blocking 3rd party Gmail notifiers and released a beta version of their own. I have a feeling that maybe Google might want to make a pop3 type Gmail thing where ads can be delivered as well. Maybe this is why they applied for this patent.

Also Picasa. They use to charge for it and now don't. Maybe they want to place ads in it.

ABW Ambassador

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andy:
    After over an hour of clicking on sites listed in Google, I went to MSN and found exactly what I was looking for - specifically - on the third site listed. This was not a commercial or affiliate site, but a content site, so it should have been ranked highly in Google, yet it wasn't. Instead I got hundreds of junk sites, and irrelevant returns on my search.

That is what I'm talking about, and it seems to be happening with quite a bit of regularity on Google lately.
    Andy <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've noticed the same thing while doing the basic research for my web site. The really
    good sites are buried under a ton of old outdated page links and sites that haven't been updated for years.

For each link on my site, I had to go through many, many old outdated sites. Personally, I don't think Google's Page Rank system is really tuned for up-to-date content sites. It seems to be tuned for what is "popular", which is often the lowest common denominator, i.e., "The Britney Spears Effect".

RadarCat
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

Speculation on a Google browser here:

http://www.kottke.org/04/08/the-google-browser

It wouldn't need to be a massively evil thing to make some money for Google, simply switching the default search from MSN to Google would generate revenue.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread