Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Question Preferred way to categorize links for affs?
    Hi everyone! Happy Friday.

I'm about to upload a lot of new banners for the SaffronRouge.com affiliate program (organic beauty/grooming & more) for deep linking to various product categories within the site.

Examples of banner types include: deodorants, body lotions/washes/scrubs, perfumes/colognes/fragrances, baby bath/skincare products, hand creams, cosmetics (eye/lip/face, etc.), hair styling, hair removal and so on and so forth (and many more).

These banners are in a variety of sizes/dimensions. This is separate from our datafeed by the way. Before I do this, I'd like to get some affiliate input as to how most of you prefer to search links for a given merchant. Do you prefer links organized by size/dimension, or by product category? Or something altogether different? I want to make sure I'm optimizing organization to make it most convenient for our affiliates to find what they need quickly with least fuss possible. We're an SAS merchant by the way, so if you are familiar w/ the interface you can let me know how you prefer to work w/ that platform when it comes to searching banners.

Hope to get some input on this soon. Thanks in advance.

Hello, hello, hello... Is there anybody in here??? Just nod if you can hear me..... is there anyone home?

C'mon sing along... Better yet - input to my above inquiry, please.

http and a telephoto
    Shareasale already gives a way to search by size, I would load them by category because affiliates are probably going to look for them by what type of things they want to promote.

Hopefully some affiliates will pop in with their opinions
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    Shareasale already gives a way to search by size, I would load them by category because affiliates are probably going to look for them by what type of things they want to promote.
    +1
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I'm not sure there's a "one size fits all" answer to this. Whatever categorization works best for each particular merchant is what's best.

In general, I would suggest that a good categorization would split things up so that the number of groups and the number banners within each group are pretty close to the same (or the number of banners in each group are no more than 2-3 times the number of groups). For instance, if there are 100 banners, 2 groups with 50 banners in each group isn't categorized enough. 50 groups with 2 banners in each is TOO categorized. 5-10 groups with 10-20 banners in each group is good.

But exactly how those groups are determined is tough to generalize. It could be product categories. It could be target markets (banners oriented towards women, towards men, towards homeowners, towards sports fans, etc.). Some could be seasonal promotions. At least one category would probably be promotions (dynamic banners that always show the current promotion are very handy). One category should probably be logos of virtually every size.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks everyone for picking up the discussion. I have my own ideas but thought I'd ask how others would find it easiest.

So far I've already created the following banner/link categories for the merchant whose new banners I was thinking about when I posted this (SaffronRouge.com):

Baby Products // General // Gifts // Mens Products // Mommy Essentials // Sale Items // Store Brand Message // Store Logo

But then I have a TON of new banners to upload which cover individual product types, in which case there might only be one banner advertising an entire category of product (for now) so I was debating whether to just have one category of "product banners" or divvy them up into categories some other way. Your replies have given me some ideas on what might work best.

Thanks!
    Last edited by e-Gazer; October 29th, 2010 at 03:46 PM.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread