What is your favorite software?
    I was just curious as to what are some of your favorite programs that you use for the industry.Throw anything out here,for web develope hosting servers driving/monitoring traffic or whatever.I would like some recommendations as I have no idea what software is out there for what purpose.

You would probably find WordPress near the top of most affiliates' lists of favorites because it does almost everything you mentioned in your question. It's free and available for simple install on most any domain via your Control Panel. You can read accounts here from different affiliates as they set it up step by step. I bet if you did a search here for "Set up WordPress" you would have reading for a few days and know what to do next..or at least where to get started.

Search can help you find the most recommended hosts and how to buy a domain and all the things you need. Of course if/when you run into a hard place just ask. Most everyone is happy to help if they can.

1. WordPress for site building.
    2. FileZilla for FTP
    3. EditPad Pro or a really nifty free text editor called WriteMonkey for text editing.
    4. Firefox web browser
    5. Microsoft Security Essentials for anti-virus/Internet security package.
    6. Gmail for email (I've now got it rigged up to check all my email accounts online and no longer use Thunderbird email client.)

Those are in no particular order since you just wanted "favorites" in a range of usefulness. I would probably put WordPress at #1 as I have, though.
    Generate more fake news.

Agree with your list but suggest ESET for AV/security and (free) Notepad++ for text. Of course, that's because I have it, and haven't seen the wonders that WriteMonkey and EditPad Pro can do. None of these programs do everything you might want done so I use PSPad, and Arachnophilia too. (all freebies)

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    Agree with your list but suggest ESET for AV/security and (free) Notepad++ for text. Of course, that's because I have it, and haven't seen the wonders that WriteMonkey and EditPad Pro can do. None of these programs do everything you might want done so I use PSPad, and Arachnophilia too. (all freebies)
    I've used and appreciated PSPad, and I've tried Arachnophilia some years back. Arachnophilia seemed sort of "clunky" to me. But like all these recommendations, a lot of it comes down to what you want to do and what you personally feel comfortable with.

Years ago, a friend of mine suggested the word processing software you first use is the one you'll probably always think was/is the best and you feel most comfortable with. (My first word processing software was "Leading Edge Word Processor." It's long gone into the dust bin of computer history! )
    Generate more fake news.

Arachnophilia seemed sort of "clunky" to me.
    There are two versions out there, the Java based program is clunky, I agree! I have tried to use it but as long as the older version is functional I keep using it for what it is good for:
    Macros: you can store big chunks of code that you use frequently in building pages and enter it on your current project with a macro keystroke. I use it to add menu segments or stats code , whatever I find myself needing to copy/paste repeatedly.
    Find and Replace:half a page at a time if you want and on 20 pages at a time if you want. To replace one word or phrase, Notepad++ is better, you don't even need to open the files, but it can't do 6 lines at a time. That's why only one program isn't enough.

No one's mentioned WebMerge, that's still one of my favorites, but for it to be worth it, you need to understand basic HTML They're on here, look for Richard Gaskin from FourthWorld. He's awesome

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Three biggies for me have been for a while...

Adobe Dreamweaver
    Corel PaintShop Photo Pro
    WinSCP (FTP/SFTP Client)

Ditto Gary on Dreamweaver and PSP, I use those programs daily.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Carolyn, I didn't even realize PSP was Corel now, until I posted to this thread..

I am still using the Jasc version 8

LOL, I'm still using Jasc version too...I'm only a little bit ahead of you, I found out it was Corel about a month ago.

Software
    I am a newbie and am looking for a javascript (I don't write code) I can adapt to automaticly change subid in linkshare and sid in CJ so I can track sales by individual members on my site.

Any ideas where I could get such a javascript for dummies lol.

Would appreciate any input.

Thanks

I don't know of any codes to suggest, but there are sites where you can find lots of ready made scripts by category and they have coders who can custom build a script for your needs. Try Hot Scripts - The net's largest PHP, CGI, Perl, JavaScript and ASP script collection and resource web portal., they're friends of the ABW family.

Quote Originally Posted by limpylegs View Post
    I was just curious as to what are some of your favorite programs that you use for the industry.Throw anything out here,for web develope hosting servers driving/monitoring traffic or whatever.I would like some recommendations as I have no idea what software is out there for what purpose.
    Hello.

I realize these are not really specialized "for the industry", but these are what I use. All these programs are free. Listed in the frequency that I use them.

1. emacs. Yes, seriously. writerguy suggested above that the first text-editor you use is the one you will probably always feel most comfortable with, and I agree. I scratch-code everything, because that's the way I learned. I know emacs isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it does everything I need, including editing PS files. The first word processing program I learned to use, by the way, was actually Volkswriter.

2. LAMP or XAMPP. My website is database-driven, and depends on mySQL and php. These two program bundles are what I use to develop and test my website. XAMPP is available for LINUX and Windows, and includes phpMyAdmin.

3. GIMP and Inkscape. Substitutes for Photoshop and Illustrator, respectively. Inkscape is very good for text/text effects, banner-logos, etc.

4. Open Office suite. Calc and Writer are substitutes for Microsoft Excel and Word. I don't know Calc's scripting capabilities. If you program, you can do some amazing things with Excel.

5. Microsoft Windows Movie Maker and Windows Media Encoder. Movie Maker is a fantastic, stable, easy-to-use video editor. Includes essential transitions (wipes, fades) and limited special effects. Click-and-drag audio editing. Best of the free video editors, in my opinion, including kdenlive, kino, etc. Combined with Media Encoder, possibly worth the price of my buying Windows 7 alone.

6. Audacity. Good, basic, audio editing program. Includes many effects.

Finally, I highly recommend Ubuntu, the linux distribution. Excellent community, good documentation available.

As for browsers, here is the rough breakdown for visitors to my site:

50% Firefox
    40% MSIE
    6% Seamonkey
    2% Safari
    1% Opera
    1% Blackberry

So I use all of them except Blackberry.

XAMPP - Install a windows + apache + mysql stack on your PC in few clicks
    Netbeans - really nice development ide ( I use the version for PHP )
    MySQL Workbench / TOAD - Two MySQL database management tools, handy if you need to manage and want a bit more control/do things easier than what PHPMyAdmin gives you.
    PSPAD - text editor with syntax highlighting, it can open rather large files
    Programmers notepad - even larger files ( logs of hundreds of MBs, I think I managed to open a 2GB file with it )
    Filezilla - FTP/SFTP
    Wordpress - Best and easiest cms for content based websites.

Glad to read that WordPress is tops in the affiliate community.

I have many blogs in WordPress but didn't realize, until joining here, that I can create more with it than my blogs and my membership site.

There's a lot more here for me and appreciate the ideas you're helping me to generate.

Shirley

I created my deals site www.dealstracker.net on wordpress. There are countless plug-ins that you can use. Very good SEO plug-ins too.

Any body know any plugin that will integrate with CJ, LS, etc?
    Last edited by MichaelColey; April 28th, 2011 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Unlinked

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread