how long did you wait?
    so i'm curious,how long did it take for any of you to launch your first website after you had started doing your fair share of research into the industry?

My first web site? About 4 years before I discovered affiliate marketing.

My first affiliate page on the site? The same day I discovered affiliate marketing.

I earned about $50 my first month, $450 my second month and was earning a full time income within 6 months.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I still haven't got around to "researching".

"A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." George S. Patton
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

are there any live examples of successful affiliate pages that i could go to and look at for a perspective?granted the niche i'm going for is a little difficult to organize and has an oddball starting point...but it would be soo much easier to see examples of blogs and websites that affiliates created.they don't even have to be related to my niche.

Do a Google search for the kinds of things you are interested in promoting and you will see how affiliates are promoting them. Don't click on paid ads just to view a site, that costs people money, but the organic results will be primarily affiliate sites - just because we work hard to get search visibility.

Oh, about how long to wait? Why waste money spending time? The sooner you begin, the sooner you will have a chance to be successful or at least learn what doesn't work. That's a valuable lesson too.
    Last edited by 2busy; October 24th, 2010 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Added some more stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    Do a Google search for the kinds of things you are interested in promoting and you will see how affiliates are promoting them. Don't click on paid ads just to view a site, that costs people money, but the organic results will be primarily affiliate sites - just because we work hard to get search visibility.

Oh, about how long to wait? Why waste money spending time? The sooner you begin, the sooner you will have a chance to be successful or at least learn what doesn't work. That's a valuable lesson too.
    2busy has offered some good advice.

"Why waste money spending time?" Absolutely! Get started NOW - you can always go back and make adjustments. I call it "tweaking" and it goes on forever...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by limpylegs View Post
    so i'm curious,how long did it take for any of you to launch your first website after you had started doing your fair share of research into the industry?
    MUCH TOO LONG!! Don't wait. go for it once you know enough about picking your niche, getting a domain name and hosting. most of us have several failed websites so don't be afraid to fail. you'll learn a lot on your first site and unless you pick a bad niche you will probably be able to correct any noob mistakes you make

superCool's first site was in a much too competitive niche - hey, there's billions of $$ there!! (thought superCool) ... yeah, and superCool was about 15 years too late to the game. it's hard to get anywhere in a super competitive niche if you're a newbie. not that you can't, but it will be difficult, frustrating and demoralizing.

superCool still hasn't hit it big (for sure), but that's a lesson he learned.

good luck limpylegs

Quote Originally Posted by superCool View Post
    MUCH TOO LONG!! Don't wait. go for it once you know enough about picking your niche, getting a domain name and hosting. most of us have several failed websites so don't be afraid to fail. you'll learn a lot on your first site and unless you pick a bad niche you will probably be able to correct any noob mistakes you make

superCool's first site was in a much too competitive niche - hey, there's billions of $$ there!! (thought superCool) ... yeah, and superCool was about 15 years too late to the game. it's hard to get anywhere in a super competitive niche if you're a newbie. not that you can't, but it will be difficult, frustrating and demoralizing.

superCool still hasn't hit it big (for sure), but that's a lesson he learned.

good luck limpylegs
    with a name like supercool you already have hit it big! thanks for the advice fellas

I do OK in a super-competitive niche (hotels) because I got started nearly 11 years ago.

On the other hand...it is still within reason TODAY to be able to get into many competitive verticals. We got started in the very competitive "Checks" marketplace in July of 2007 - as an affiliate - by putting beach checks on our popular "beach hotels" site. It worked. So, when I give any advice it is to start "in a niche" within that "super competitive" vertical (either checks, or whichever one it may be in which you have an interest).

Sooo...today we are actually a checks merchant - in a very competitive vertical. And, at just one year old, we are helping affiliates earn some serious cash. So, it is possible and it does work. Follow your heart and do something in which you are interested.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

ABW Ambassador
    Start a website immediately, then tweak it while you try different things. If you want to do some research, then do it while you build your website.

Why wait?

Personally,i'm a big of a music guru.I love anything and everything between the 70's and late 80's of rock.I'm just not sure what aspect of this niche i want to do yet.

then of course there's always the problem of finding an affiliate program that i can join that's interested in the same kind of information that i'm providing.maybe i could use the information as a way to draw in traffic first then add on a small store afterward? products that relate to music?? i don't know how i'm going to pull this off but it's going to be interesting once it's all said and done.

Lots of guitar in the music you described. I have no idea what you plan to "do" in that genre, but there are likely some good affiliate matches. Here are just two examples: Matt McWilliams has a good program, Legacy Learning, with a guitar course that has a good rep (and they have a forum here). People who are "into" guitars and related music may also like to express that in the checks they buy. We have some music-theme checks and do sell a lot of the Guitars Personal Checks and Pianos Checks. There are also programs with CDs and Music Videos. Plus there are also music players (MP3, iPod Touch, etc.) with which to listen to that music.

If you can create something in which people have an interest and make it a bit different and better than other sites you will attract traffic. If you get traffic you can monetize it - in one way or another.

guys i just clicked with what i think it's a really great idea! i did numerous searches for the ideas i have and not one page came up with anything similar...and the page that did wasn't it's own page,it was one of those .about.com pages.i think i'm on to something....

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, you just have to do some experimenting and find what works for you. Old fashioned trial and error. And when you do, don't ever post it here in front of potential competitors.

ABW Ambassador
    guys i just clicked with what i think it's a really great idea! i did numerous searches for the ideas i have and not one page came up with anything similar...and the page that did wasn't it's own page,it was one of those .about.com pages.i think i'm on to something....
    Thinking 'outside the box' can be great, and sometimes it is good that nobody else has done what you want to do, but it isn't always a good thing that nothing comes up when you do a search. It just might mean that it is not viable.

or it could be viable because it solves a certain curiosity?

ABW Ambassador
    or it could be viable because it solves a certain curiosity?
    Of course. Good luck.

try the google keyword tool to see what the search volume is like

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Matt McWilliams has a good program, Legacy Learning, with a guitar course that has a good rep (and they have a forum here). People who are "into" guitars and related music may also like to express that in the checks they buy. We have some music-theme checks and do sell a lot of the Guitars Personal Checks and Pianos Checks. There are also programs with CDs and Music Videos. Plus there are also music players (MP3, iPod Touch, etc.) with which to listen to that music.
    Hey thanks Bill

Limpy, that would be me by the way!
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread