Just a heads up to all who might consider looksmart among your PPC options, you may be sorry...

I ran a test on one page. I used a list of words already used on Google, Overture, FindWhat and GoClick and set a monthly budget of $100.

Looksmart burned the entire budget in two days, faster than the others combined (similar rankings). As their reports are a day behind, this was a bit inconvenient, but I would've swallowed it for decent traffic.

The real problem was the traffic was garbage. The average profit per click on the particular page, as averaged accross all the PPC engines pointing to it on that same set of words, dropped from over $1.00 profit per click to negative $0.04 per click during the 2 days Looksmart was running. In fact, commissions generated stayed pretty much exactly the same as if looksmart didn't exist.

Looksmart single-handedly dragged the average of all the engines waaaaay down, and it popped right back up as soon as looksmart finished.

I asked for a refund and they instead declined my listings (103 words), saying they didn't meet looksmart's guidelines. Between you and me, wouldn't you do that sort of editorial review BEFORE running the campaign and chargeing the advertiser?

Bottom line, Looksmart lost an advertiser that would've happily paid much more than that test, month after month for decent traffic, because they don't police their link partners and allow obviously fraudulent clicks through.

I can't figure out why this is so common in the PPC space, where loyal advertisers are worth their weight in gold. And I'm not near as slim as I once was...

ABW Ambassador
    Gotta read the SE forum here or do a search on them:

http://abw.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=se...ords=looksmart

Yeah, they suck.

They used to be awesome about 6 years ago, but so did so many...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eathan:
    loyal advertisers are worth their weight in gold. And I'm not near as slim as I once was... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I sit here grossly inflated by a gargantuan Chinese takeaway, you've made an increasingly portly man feel more wanted

Looksmart aren't long for this world, when MSN dropped them they laid off more than half their staff I recall. They don't offer any kind of value for money to anyone, and their crappy payment model always was a bad idea..

..except of course Yahoo! stole the idea to come up with the equally crap Overture Sitematch.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    They where never on my favorites list.

I have not been to their site in the past 2 years I think.

Don't think I'll miss them when they're gone. Sounds like not many will. Way back when, when they were a directory, and you knew the backdoor to quick listings, they didn't suck, but now... Ack!

Paul, I'm glad I could help! :P
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread