Pepperjam, Sharesale CJ or Other?
    Hi All

I am a merchant and offer logo design services. I know a bit about affiliates but little about the most suitable aff networks for our situation now as merchants.

Could I get other merchants tips please on what might suit us?

The priority is which network will provide the most sales or likely do that? ie who has the most serious super affiliates in the sort of top end side. Our logos average $400 sale.

So far I have looked at Pepperjam and looks good to me but the cost is like $3k upfront. Thats fine if we can recoup that but I am wondering my options. Sharesale I hear good things about from affiliates and seems to only cost a few hundred upfront. CJ I am not sure about.....

What I want is a network where there are not already many logo companies there and where there are likely suitable web related affiliates. I dont want my offer lost in the crowd. So far Pepperjam has no other offers and sharesale has 1, CJ many i my area......

Can I get opinions on these and any others you might think will work for us?

I am purely looking at sales, I dont care that much about how nice they are etc although service is always important.....

Thanks and any help is very greatful

Manny

You do not want Pepperjam. Affiliates don't like them.

CJ, SAS, and AvantLink are ok.

Thanks BurgerBoy.....I see lots of negatives on PPJ here but I also know someone who does big sales via their network so I am wondering if there is another side to PPJ where yeah they might be rude etc but they get the cool brands and some good super affiliates....

Thanks for the others cheers! (how much is CJ btw?)

CJ is the most expensive of the networks you asked about. I don't know why.

It would probably be best to go with whatever is least costly if you are going to manage the program yourself.

But if you want the network to manage your program and provide "customer service" (human interaction with affiliates) for you, then Pepperjam is the best of the bunch by far, and CJ, GAN, and Linkshare are the worst.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    You do not want Pepperjam. Affiliates don't like them.

CJ, SAS, and AvantLink are ok.
    I have no problem with Peperjam and do not see any difference then any other network. They pay their bills and programs do not go offline.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

http and a telephoto
    Pretty much the same affiliates are on all the networks. Do your homework and see which network seems right to you. There are some affiliates that will not work with specific networks for many reasons. Many affiliates can't work with GAN, many don't like CJ or PepperJam, and Linkshare.... well we'll leave that along.

Good ones to look at are SAS, buy.at and Avantlink. If you are self managing, I would recommend talking to buy.at.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    Pretty much the same affiliates are on all the networks. Do your homework and see which network seems right to you. There are some affiliates that will not work with specific networks for many reasons. Many affiliates can't work with GAN, many don't like CJ or PepperJam, and Linkshare.... well we'll leave that along.

Good ones to look at are SAS, buy.at and Avantlink. If you are self managing, I would recommend talking to buy.at.
    I wouldn't say many don't like CJ, not true at all - VOTE: Best Affiliate Network in '09 - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum

They had more votes than Avantlink and buy.at.

I actually have a merchant that was on my wish list to have an affiliate program and found them on Facebook and mentioned an affiliate program. They had no idea what one was and I gave them some info. Then I was thinking which one would I recommend.

Was thinking Avantlink and I think they have the least amount of issues of all the networks but a couple of big ones. They're closed off to third party applications like Pop Shops and others, I think the only network that is, so I couldn't recommend them until/if that ever changes. And then, they really need to stop adding any more outdoor merchants. It's like over half the merchants are outdoor related. And some other categories literally have a handful if that. I like to see them get competitive and start rounding out the merchant selection.

Then was thinking SAS but I don't think they have enough employees to deal with the ever growing list of merchants, something like 3300 now and I base that on the not knowing there are merchants that don't exist on the network and then payment being a little late because everybody was out in California, the almost 1/3 of merchants that aren't doing anything at all over there etc.

Linkshare, the worst of the majors to me and according to the ABW vote.

GAN, don't like them either based on recent actions.

Pepperjam I didn't like because of the original person running it but they were bought by GSI and they moved all the merchants over and having a deal site, really had no choice. And then actually using the network, they're fine. And when I've need the account rep, worked out great.

CJ, I like them best out of the major networks (LS and GAN) They've all had questionable love affairs over the years with parasites and such but overall I do like them better than most. Not so much the people but the platform itself, what I use on a day to day basis, I think is one of the better ones.
    Last edited by Trust; October 25th, 2010 at 01:21 AM.

http and a telephoto
    I wouldn't say many don't like CJ, not true at all
    I personally know a substantial number of affiliates that refuse to work with CJ, that is why I can say what I did. It isn't all in the public stats....
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    It's because all your programs are at SAS. It's probably a very, very low percentage of affiliates, vocal minority stuff, that will straight up refuse to work with a network. And that's because it's about merchants mostly and if there is one they think they can make money with, they'll go there. And there are many who say they only work with one network and straight up lie about it. I've seen people post that over the years and then I look at their affiliate sites with links to merchants and networks they say they never work with. Refuse to work with CJ, you can switch out CJ with any network and find affiliates that say they won't work with this or that network. And the poll is the poll. It was a vote here at ABW and they came in second overall and pretty amazing since most are pushed usually to the usual networks.

And can't forget about - http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showt...highlight=owns

For 1 network to have over 40% of the top merchants, pretty dominant.
    Last edited by Trust; October 25th, 2010 at 03:11 AM.

Manny,

Your niche has lots of competition in affiliate networks and I'm not sure you will see success for a long time, so don't rely on the affiliate channel to help kickstart your business. I would think that ShareASale's low start up cost would give you the fastest chance for ROI but who knows how long that will take.

I just typed in logo design in Shareasale and found 9. Three of them have 0 sales in the last 7 days.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    It's because all your programs are at SAS.
    There is a reason they are mostly on SAS... People forget the programs I managed that were inhouse and on CJ. Some pretty large programs...

Not arguing, just pointing out that there is more than what you are seeing. It's great that you have good relationships across most networks, other people that don't post on forums but that are pretty substantial affiliates disagree.

CJ is huge but that doesn't make them the best.
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    "there is more than what you are seeing."

No there's not, I'm not new. I've seen people post that say they won't work at SAS as well but will at CJ. Again, you can find that with any network. I think most of your interaction with affiliates would be those with your programs, at SAS. I can't think of any full time affiliate that limits themselves to just one network, because that would be foolish. How about we start a poll on this.

"CJ is huge but that doesn't make them the best."

What's best will be different to each affiliate. You make it seem like there are tons of people out there that just won't work with CJ, when we have an actual ABW poll that says the exact opposite. What you're saying just doesn't go along with the poll and anything I've seen.
    Last edited by Trust; October 25th, 2010 at 02:55 PM.

Three years ago, I posted an article on the topic of "Affiliate Technology & Network Choice." (http://www.markwelchblog.com/2007/11/04/affiliate-technology-network-choice) Nothing significant has changed since then.
    Last edited by MichaelColey; October 25th, 2010 at 04:14 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    Actually there has, Kowabunga** doesn't even exist anymore. It's not called DoubleClick/Performics anymore. Maybe time to freshen it up some and

**looks like that's called Inuvo now.
    Last edited by Trust; October 25th, 2010 at 03:52 PM.

Hi MPC

I have worked with all of them, I'm also an OPM, and I also vote for ShareASale as the best one in your list.
    BUT, think about adding some of the smaller networks that do not charge a set up fee or any monthly minimum, just add them to your mix, you might be surprised.

And last, make sure that you have on your site a link to either your in-house, or to your network affiliate program. Your best affiliates will be those who like your site, are currently your clients, or are experts in promoting your type of product.

Good Luck

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread