Texas Affiliates Heads Up
    In the last 4 states that attempted to gather sales taxes based on the location of Amazon.com affiliates, Amazon just dropped the affiliates in those states whether that state adopted those laws or not.

Now Texas is going after Amazon for back taxes because of an Amazon subsidiary that has a warehouse in Texas. This time it is not affiliates at issue, but like in the other states, Amazon could drop Texas affiliates, just to 'send a message'.
    Last edited by Billradio; October 25th, 2010 at 03:30 PM.

I really doubt they would do that, as this has nothing to do with affiliates and there's no threat of trying to use affiliates to establish nexus. Amazon has a distribution warehouse in Texas, and that's what Texas is saying establishes nexus.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Good link, thanks.. Its good that this is shipping center focused, although I do worry about affiliates getting drawn into the mix at some point.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Michael,
    Logic would say you're right, but after I spent several weeks writing letters, sending emails, making phone calls, buttonholing representatives and making a presentation for a Senate committee to successfully get affiliates excluded from the nexus of our state's "amazon law"...only to be dropped as an Amazon affiliate because of an "unfavorable tax climate", I must say I'm now leary.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    I really doubt they would do that,
    Last edited by Billradio; October 25th, 2010 at 04:09 PM.

From this Wall Street Journal Article:
    Texas Says Amazon Owes $269 Million in Sales Tax - WSJ.com
    An Amazon spokeswoman said it has an existing fulfillment center in Texas that is an affiliate, but not subsidiary, of the Amazon retailing entity.
    Errr, see, its wording like that that scares me.. You can see how things could degrade..
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread