Mall site with affiliate links or

coupon site??

or BOTH??

thanks

http and a telephoto
    Think about how you, your family and your friends shop. The people *here* are not normal shoppers, we don't shop the way the majority of the internet users do. And during the holidays, NEW people that have never shopped online get their feet wet and who knows how their minds work.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Is there a neither answer. The money is in niche sites
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The people *here* are not normal shoppers, we don't shop the way the majority of the internet users do. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, most people probably don't ask themselves, "do I have an affiliate link for this?" when they're considering whether to buy something, LOL!

Actually I'd say, run a mall and "post 'em if you got 'em" when it comes to coupons.

Some items go over better with no-coupon-needed deals, and some do good with coupon codes. It's hard to tell which is which in advance, though, so unless you've seen that they DON'T work with a particular item, it's probably good to go ahead and put 'em up.

Provided you remember to take them down when they expire, that is. No matter what coupon "tricksters" may think, a dead coupon is ANTIconversionary. People HATE to think they've missed out on a deal; it's much worse for conversions to have people see a dead deal than to never mention a deal/coupon in the first place.

Update--As for niche sites, there's only good money in 'em if you happen to hit a hot category. Otherwise, the money's definitely in MALL sites!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Thanks leader for your input.. i agree with you that niche sites unless you know you have hit a gold mine.. its best to go with a all in one site you can promote everything...

My only fear with doing a mall site is that merchants turn me down due to my site being not specific enough /nichey!

i know merchants are pickey when it comes to accepting

well.. if you was to do a mall site leader and wanted to cover all cateogries like

food and drink
    computers
    movies
    clothes and apparel

etc....

2 questions on that..

would you do a site thats completely LINKS... or would you put banners on their too?

also

if there was a certain GENERAL category that you would say.. given time and effort you could do not bad in would you say its apparel?? like tops, bottoms, jeans, shoes, etc..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The people *here* are not normal shoppers, we don't shop the way the majority of the internet users do. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, most people probably don't ask themselves, "do I have an affiliate link for this?" when they're considering whether to buy something, LOL!

Actually I'd say, run a mall and "post 'em if you got 'em" when it comes to coupons.

Some items go over better with no-coupon-needed deals, and some do good with coupon codes. It's hard to tell which is which in advance, though, so unless you've seen that they DON'T work with a particular item, it's probably good to go ahead and put 'em up.

Provided you remember to take them down when they expire, that is. No matter what coupon "tricksters" may think, a dead coupon is ANTIconversionary. People HATE to think they've missed out on a deal; it's much worse for conversions to have people see a dead deal than to never mention a deal/coupon in the first place.

Update--As for niche sites, there's only good money in 'em if you happen to hit a hot category. Otherwise, the money's definitely in MALL sites! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

loxly said:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The people *here* are not normal shoppers, we don't shop the way the majority of the internet users do <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can I get an AMEN!

I couldn't agree more. There are some on this board who say "I would never click on [FILL IN AFFILIATE TOOL OR WIDGET]." What WE would do DOES NOT MATTER. What matters most is what a "typical" Internet user would do, and that's what we should focus on. Personal reference is a dangerous way to make business decisions.

Ok why would noone hear click on an affiliate link.. are we all so much against seeing another person make money??? i dont understand people who wont click on someone affiliate link or they wipe there cache.. its dumb and quite frankly childish..

we all have to make a living i dont mind seeing someone get a commission if they have led me to what i want

LastHope:

If you are referring to my post, you misunderstood.

I was not saying that we should not, could not or would not click on an affiliate link that was not our own. I was saying that we shouldn't use our Internet behaviors as a guide for predicting how "typical" Internet users will behave.

http and a telephoto
    LastHope,

First, if *I* want to buy something I look and see if there is an affiliate program and if it is worth signing up for. Otherwise I *would* click on someone else's link. That *isn't* what I meant.

I meant that *we* (the people that post here at ABW) shop very differently from your average computer user/shopper. We know where to go to get stuff, we know who we want, or don't want, to buy from.

Most of *us* are very computer literate. Most of your shoppers will not be. Many of them will shop online for the very first time this fall. And those that do shop online regularly will all shop differently than you and I.

So, like I said, go find your friends and relatives and watch *them* shop. Ask them to show you what they do when they go shopping for a birthday present for a friend. Or how they found that last cool thing they bought online. Look at the computers and browsers they are using.

I have had the advantage of working in customer service for an online company and the things I learned from the people that called that had problems with our website or that were confused or that still just won't enter credit card info online are scarey. Not what most of you want to hear. When I watched a friend of mine cruise through websites rejecting all cookies, it scared me.

I am just saying that we are not your typical shoppers and asking us how we buy and what navigation we like is pretty pointless.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread