Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Trying it Out
    So, after Trust's sage words in this thread, I went ahead and applied to Pepperjam last night, and was approved this morning.

Looking over their interface, I am struck by two things:

1) The white-on-black color scheme is horrible - very difficult to focus on and extremely tiring on the eyes; and

2)The merchant programs that I have glanced through - primarily in the "Home & Garden" section - almost universally have 30-day EPCs of from $ .00 to around $ .15. I have seen only a few higher, and NONE above $ .40. Do PJ merchants actually convert?

Any input would be appreciated.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    That EPC is different from other networks EPC like CJ's. It's actually per click, not per 100 clicks.

Ok, - That's a bit different. Thanks.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

white-on-black color is way easier on eyes than white-on-black. Whenever I program I always use a black background. Can't satisfy everyone I guess. But lots of people prefer black backgrounds for the eyes... What color scheme do you use for programming? - Stack Overflow

Quote Originally Posted by shimmy View Post
    white-on-black color is way easier on eyes than white-on-black.
    Huh?

If you meant to say "white-on-black color is way easier on eyes than black-on-white" I couldn't disagree more after staring at PJ. But - it could be because the white is just too white; it seems to GLOW. A less brilliant off-white might make a significant difference.

yea that's what I meant. I make way to many typos. everyone's eyes are different, white backgrounds hurt my eyes. I have all my monitors on very low brightness because of it. I read somewhere that yellow on black is supposed to be the easiest on the eyes, but that's pretty ugly.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    1) The white-on-black color scheme is horrible - very difficult to focus on and extremely tiring on the eyes; and
    Agree! I don't like the white-on-black color scheme either.

Other than that, their support actually are very friendly and helpful.

One of the original complaints about PepperJam was that affiliates' personal information was visible to ALL merchants on the network (whether there was a relationship or not). I would be interested in hearing if you start getting unsolicited contacts from PJN merchants that you don't work with.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    One of the original complaints about PepperJam was that affiliates' personal information was visible to ALL merchants on the network (whether there was a relationship or not). I would be interested in hearing if you start getting unsolicited contacts from PJN merchants that you don't work with.
    None so far, in the first two days.

But - I also read a lot about their great customer service to affiliates. I called them earlier morning with a couple of questions. The person who answered was very nice, but had to ask someone else for the information I was looking for. First question - she came back with the answer in a minute. Second question - she came back and told me the person who could answer the question (which was pretty basic about finding/building links) was occupied, but would return my call in 30-45 minutes. It's been more than 1-1/2 hours and no return call yet.

ABW Ambassador
    "I would be interested in hearing if you start getting unsolicited contacts from PJN merchants that you don't work with."

Nope, pretty much like any other network. Sign up, try it yourself.

I'm glad you started this thread, if only to let us know about the unfriendly color scheme. I hope that it has evolved into a decent network and will eventually address the usability issue. It sounds like they might deserve a second look sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    It's ironic that this particular point would be hammered here.... in a place where an OPM who has their own forum... who has been known to use his previous employer's affiliate mailing list to solicit affiliates, calling this stolen property his "buddy list", and members here were banned and chased off for calling him out on it.

That was a long time ago and I know you had nothing to do with that, Michael, but this is still that same neighborhood with those same characters operating out in the open.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

http and a telephoto
    The problem I saw was that *all* info about an affiliate (including SSN) was available to any merchant on the network, not just contact information and as an affiliate there wasn't a way to restrict that. Hopefully that has changed with GSI running the show, but I have no way to verify since I no longer run any programs on PJ.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    The problem I saw was that *all* info about an affiliate (including SSN) was available to any merchant on the network, not just contact information and as an affiliate there wasn't a way to restrict that. Hopefully that has changed with GSI running the show, but I have no way to verify since I no longer run any programs on PJ.
    They addressed that in another thread. It's like any other network again. Merchants don't have access to your SSN, the network needs it tho, just like any other network.

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=14

Also, threads from a couple of years ago went into that as well.
    Last edited by Trust; October 28th, 2010 at 04:35 PM.

http and a telephoto
    Trust, it was a "couple of years ago" that I managed a merchant there and *did* have access to that information. I would like an AM with a current merchant there to verify what information they see to both joined and unjoined affiliates in the network.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

All of this supports advice I've given before in this context: Sole proprietors - get and use a Federal EIN, NOT your social security number.

You DO NOT have to have employees to obtain one (ANYONE can get one) or to use it for business purposes.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    Trust, it was a "couple of years ago" that I managed a merchant there and *did* have access to that information. I would like an AM with a current merchant there to verify what information they see to both joined and unjoined affiliates in the network.
    I would contact/pm one of the GSI merchants/people that post from time to time. The thing I linked to was a lot more recent, earlier this year. Also, you can sign up and under Pepperjam Chat (another nice thing), they have email addresses/names to all of the merchants/affiliate managers. Email them. Or you probably know some of them already or on your Twitter etc.

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    All of this supports advice I've given before in this context: Sole proprietors - get and use a Federal EIN, NOT your social security number.

You DO NOT have to have employees to obtain one (ANYONE can get one) or to use it for business purposes.
    Absolutely agree on this. Using an EIN rather than a SS number also adds to the appearance of professionalism along with the safety aspect..
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post

... pretty much like any other network. Sign up, try it yourself.
    Bottom line.

I joined PJ because there was a merchant I wanted to work with there. Conversions are spotty on some merchants, not bad on others, just like any network.

I, for one, don't let unsubstantiated fear stop me from joining a network if there is a merchant I want to work with. I think serious affiliates need to be working across all networks. Sure, we have our favorites but omitting one is defeating, even if it's to work with just one merchant who has the products your visitors would want to buy.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread