Outsourced Program Manager Shaina@GHC's Avatar
    What is a datafeed and how do I set one up?
    Ok, so I keep hearing about "datafeed" and I have absolutely no idea what a datafeed is or how you set one up or even what it's for. Could I get some input on this pretty please?!

[I][B][U]Shaina Peterson[/U][/B][/I] | shaina.peterson[at]ymail.com
    [URL="http://highs-and-lows-of-life.blogspot.com/"] The Highs & Lows of Life[/URL] | Skype: flappersncrags

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaina@CB View Post
    Ok, so I keep hearing about "datafeed" and I have absolutely no idea what a datafeed is or how you set one up or even what it's for. Could I get some input on this pretty please?!

Basically, a datafeed is a text file that contains all the products from a merchant. An affiliate can use the datafeed to display the products on their website.

There is lots of information about datafeeds in the datafeeds sub-forum where you posted this thread.
    Last edited by Julian; October 27th, 2010 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    There is lots of information about datafeeds in the datafeeds sub-forum where you posted this thread.
    Thanks Julian
    I've been snoopin' around on this sub-forum, but when you don't know even the first thing about datafeeds, all of the discussions don't make much sense....
    [URL="http://highs-and-lows-of-life.blogspot.com/"] The Highs & Lows of Life[/URL] | Skype: flappersncrags

You can further view a datafeed as a spreadsheet of the merchant's products. Each column in the spreadsheet corresponds to a "field" in the datafeed, i.e., Column One contains "Product Name"; Column Two contains "Link" in form of the URL to the product; Column Three contains "Product Description" of the product, etc., across the spreadsheet for each product. The columns are information for a single product; the rows are all the products available in the merchant's affiliate program.

Of course, those are just hypothetical column names and content. That varies from merchant-to-merchant and it varies as to the order of the information.

One of the biggest problems working with datafeeds is the almost complete lack of uniformity from merchant to merchant. Another big issue is that most merchants make little or no effort to "clean up" their datafeeds, i.e., remove unneeded html coding and/or fail to keep the products updated in the feed.

That's all very simplified, and if you "Google" around, as well as look around the forums here at ABW, you'll find information to help.

I would suggest, if you are interested in using datafeeds, you should sign up for one of the merchants in one of the most popular networks -- get permission to use their feed, and download the datafeed. Open it in a good text editor, or import the data into an Excel spreadsheet, and look it over.
    Generate more fake news.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaina@CB View Post
    Thanks Julian
    I've been snoopin' around on this sub-forum, but when you don't know even the first thing about datafeeds, all of the discussions don't make much sense....
    When you first start learning about datafeeds, they can seem to be daunting. However, they really are not that difficult to understand.

Do you have any specific questions?

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Yep, what they said. It's just a list of all the mrchant's products in a spreadsheet, and because it's pulled from the database it's called a "data feed" - or product catalog... - the feed part comes into play I suppose because we feed the file to the affiliate so they can showcase products/prices/promotions on their website as if they were selling them there. The customer generally does the shopping on the affiliate site in cases where datafeeds are used by affiliates, only clicking thru to the merchant once ready to buy. Great for conversion!
    Last edited by e-Gazer; October 27th, 2010 at 06:46 PM.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Check out PopShops and AvantLink which have tool to easily create datafeed pages. You have to be an affiliate of the programs.

http and a telephoto
    Are you asking as an affiliate using a feed or as a merchant setting one up? Writerguy had great info on what a datafeed is.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I'm asking as a Merchant thinking about setting one up.
    And I definitely have a better idea about what a datafeed is now.
    I'm going to keep looking through the forum to learn more.
    Thanks everyone for all your help!

Check out Goldencan as well - another third party datafeed solution - they've been in the space a long time. GoldenCAN, Affiliate Data Feed, Coupon & Search Integration Solution

I look for price changes using datafeeds, so for me having a data feed with regular price changes (promotions or sales) is desired. I think lots of other people are making more catalog like sites and work ok with datafeeds with few changes. Others are trying to make price comparison sites.

Almost everyone would appreciate it if you include a UPC, manufacture name and model number, and overall just make sure that the data in the feed is correct and valid. You should be able to find a post on this site about what people look for in a datafeed.

http and a telephoto
    Liz, you need to have a datafeed before you can use GoldenCan or PopShops. Those are tools that aggregate datafeeds and make them available to affiliates.
    Deborah Carney

Ah yes, this is true. I thought we were discussing all datafeed options since Chuck suggested Popshops & Avantlink, thought I'd throw Goldencan into the mix.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by e-Gazer View Post
    Ah yes, this is true. I thought we were discussing all datafeed options since Chuck suggested Popshops & Avantlink, thought I'd throw Goldencan into the mix.
    That was why I asked what she specifically needed, so we could narrow that down
    Deborah Carney

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread