Datafeeds out of date
    Hi, folks. New member, but experienced PHP programmer wanting to do some serious product presentation. In looking over some of the offered datafeeds I notice that some are out of date or, more accurately, out of sync with their corresponding Merchant stores. I'm sure there's no way to MAKE a Merchant constantly post ShareASale datafeeds, but I'm curious if others have encountered the problem and, if so, how you manage it. I don't like the thought of misrepresenting the price, or listing no-longer-existing products, etc. Any input would be appreciated.

Tax Paying Member
    Yes.

There has been a noticeable decrease in quality of data feeds during the last year. It is probably a cost cutting measure by the merchant....like eliminating the job of whoever was maintaining the feed.

I think that is a mistake on the merchants part.

When a data feed becomes broken and the merchant continues to ignore maintenance.......I move to competitor merchant.

The premise behind being a merchant is to make money..........Customers shy away from shops with tape over the show room windows.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

ABW Ambassador
    Some merchants don't update the datafeeds at all, they date back years.

You just have to pick the merchants that do update regularly. There are plenty of those to keep you busy for a long time.

Thanks for the advice. Glad I'm not missing anything. I'll just try to ID the current ones. Appreciate it

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by rickh View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Glad I'm not missing anything. I'll just try to ID the current ones. Appreciate it
    You can see when the datafeeds were last updated in Shareasale

Here's one you can ID. (Shameless plug follows...)

We strive at keeping an accurate feed with categorization and quality images. However, we only update the feed when we add new products. Our old(er) inventory does not go out of stock because "our" personal checks designs are stored digitally and printed on demand.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

http and a telephoto
    I moved this thread from Newbie FAQs to the Datafeed forum.

Date last updated is *not* a good indication of a feed being accurate or not. There are a number of companies that do not change products or pricing that don't need frequent updating.

Each merchant and each feed needs to be evaluated on it's own merits. There are some good threads in this subforum that outline some datafeed vetting procedures.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thanks
    I'll read through that thread. Very helpful. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    Date last updated is *not* a good indication of a feed being accurate or not. There are a number of companies that do not change products or pricing that don't need frequent updating.
    And some merchants that don't understand that removing obsoleted or unavailable products is as important as adding new products.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post
    And some merchants that don't understand that removing obsoleted or unavailable products is as important as adding new products.

-rematt
    What Rematt says is most important.

I agree with Loxly, that the date on the data feed is not the key to accuracy.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

BoatShoes.com is a good example -- feed last updated 9/18/2009. My guess is at least some of those shoes are out of stock after a year.
    Your Ad Here.

http and a telephoto

-rematt
    I totally agree, however there are sites that don't have that. I happen to know of one at least

Some merchants also just reload old data just to update the date in the interface, but the data didn't change at all.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager
    Keep in mind it was only a few months ago that ShareASale made the change to allow merchants to update their datafeed 31 times a month. Prior to that we were limited to 8 updates each month. Although I noticed the change more than a month before they made the announcment it took a while to get the automated updates setup, now our feed is updated daily.

Not that I want to provide excuses, but some merchants either may not be aware of the change, or simple have not implemented automatic daily updates or gotten into the habit of submitting updates more frequently. Although it should not be your responsibility to get them up to speed, if there is a merchant you're really interested in working with it may not hurt to send them and email about their datafeed updates. This would also give you an impression of how responsive they are to their affiliate partners.
    Last edited by Matt.P; October 28th, 2010 at 04:37 PM.

Matt, you wouldn't believe...

I don't mind a merchant's feed being a few days or even a couple of weeks out of date. There are merchants that haven't updated their feeds since 2007. There was one merchant that I contacted about a year ago about their feed that was about 3 yeas old. I was assured by the merchant that their feed was up to date due to very few changes in their product offerings. After implementing their feed I discovered that about 50 to 60% of their images weren't showing and that the links for those products weren't resolving properly either. I again contacted the merchant and provided them with a few of the links that were no longer available. They conceded that there were a "few" products that should be removed from their feed and suggested that I remove them and send them a copy of the updated feed. I of course dropped them, but I had to admire their chutzpah.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Thanks
    Wow! Fabulous answers all. A thousand thanks. The feed I started with was last updated in Sep 2008 (I won't name it because I don't know the ettiquette yet!). In my pre-scrub, will use code to suppress the product if the image is no longer there and will look for a way to pre-determine if the link is bogus. That will help a little, but I worry about "wrong" prices. Do any of you worry (or have gotten in trouble) if the price you display on your site is different when the viewer clicks over? Is that a deal killer?

Affiliate Manager
    Hey rematt,
    From some of the other threads I've read here I gather there are far more merchants on SAS with outdated datafeeds than there should be. Do you see the same issue with other networks, or is this mainly an SAS issue?

I'd be ashamed if I asked you or any of our affiliates to do the work of updating the feed for me. Of course, if I were in your shoes they likely would have received one of three answers, depending on my mood at the time.

-WIIFM (What's in it for me)?
    -Exactly how much is this work to you? Because my hourly rate is...
    -'INSERT COMPETITOR'S NAME' didn't ask me to do that.

As Witzer pointed out it may be a matter of cost cutting and some merchants may not be aware their feed is not being updated regularly.

I don't think that this issue is exclusive to SaS. I probably see as many merchants with outdated feeds on other networks.

Cost cutting is certainly one explanation for out of date feeds, but I have one merchant on LS that has categories like "Mother's Day 2003" still in their feed, so go figure.

-rematt

That will help a little, but I worry about "wrong" prices. Do any of you worry (or have gotten in trouble) if the price you display on your site is different when the viewer clicks over? Is that a deal killer?
    IF you display prices they should be accurate. Some people don't show prices (maybe because of datafeed issues).

Affiliate Manager
    Cost cutting is certainly one explanation for out of date feeds, but I have one merchant on LS that has categories like "Mother's Day 2003" still in their feed, so go figure.

-rematt
    I would equate that to shopping for modern furniture in an antique store, which makes it really hard to find what you want. I've been with the same company for 12 years now, several of those I managed our product content, prices, etc. on our site so for me attention to detail is key. It's not hard to get it right and if it's not accurate it's not right.

That will help a little, but I worry about "wrong" prices. Do any of you worry (or have gotten in trouble) if the price you display on your site is different when the viewer clicks over? Is that a deal killer?
    If someone sees a price on your site and clicks through to the merchant site to see a higher price that would definitely be bad, at least in my opinion.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread