Unhappy Sale with no amount or commission??`
    Just saw a sale come through today with zero sale amount and zero commission, checked the link it came from and it is an actual product. Have any of you seen this today or any other time?
    I already contacted the merchant with the transaction details, but we'll see if I get a response any time soon.

http and a telephoto
    Two things come to mind, the product was paid for with a gift certificate or other full priced discount, or the product commission may not be paid until it's shipped.

Other times it is a mistake that is manually corrected.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I had one like that once and they told me that the customer was exchanging an item they had previously bought. My logs showed the same visitor on two clicks about 10 days apart so it seemed to be a possibility.

Being in the "financial' arena we have several layers of fraud detection/protection. Once in a great while we see one of those "zero sales" come through. There seems to be one point in the sales process where our supplier's fraud detection still allows a click all the way to the "Thank You" page - but no sale goes through. The first time we saw that happen there were three instances - all three of which were at nearly the exact same time, only on three consecutive nights (somewhere around 2:15 a.m., if I recall correctly).

So far (knocking on wood as I type this) the instances of fraud and reversals have been so few that we have not had to do any charge-backs to affiliates. (Go ahead - check our stats and see for yourself. )
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I reached out to the merchant and they said that they haven't seen the sale come through on their end, that's rather strange considering I have all the transaction information right in front of me.
    I hope that tomorrow this will be resolved, cause like all of us, the extra commission always helps!

ABW Ambassador
    They don't show up on a search on ABW do they?

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    They don't show up on a search on ABW do they?
    Who? The merchant?

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, I always check, they might have a past history that offers up some clue as to what's happening.

I couldn't find anything regarding suspicious sales/commissions.

Outsourced Program Manager
    I sometimes see a $0.00 amount on a sale, ( we average 5-6 /month for the Jewelry sites) and what it could mean is at the last moment the customer deceided against the sale, that something happened with the internet and the final page could not fully load or the cc was refused. Everytime it does happen there is NO transaction tracking number

Many other reasons for this I am sure.
    Last edited by Richard - AMWSO; October 28th, 2010 at 10:51 PM.
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    This often occurs when the post-order confirmation page (aka your completed order "thank you" page) is revisited via cached page or refreshed by the customer after the sale has been closed. When revisited or refreshed, the tracking pixel fires again but as the sale has already gone through it will show up usually as a $0 sale.

It can be corrected by the merchant - they usually need to change coding on that page to prevent refresh or revisit. They can either re-direct traffic to home page on revisits/refreshes or display a message which simply says something along the lines of "this page cannot be displayed - please return to the home page or continue shopping".

Or could be one of the other options suggested above but in my experience it's usually a revisit/refresh and stops happening once the merchant fixes the post order confirmation page code using one of the solutions above. You might want to notify the merchant - they may not even know what is going on themselves.
    Last edited by e-Gazer; October 29th, 2010 at 11:04 AM.

Outsourced Program Manager
    Another reason is when someone selects "Payment by Check" , ( if that is offered) the sale is recorded but no amount is listed until after the check arrives and clears. Usually these is a fraudulent purchase.
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

Just an update on this thread....still no resolution for the original transaction. This morning I did see another sale come through with the same issue, no sale amount and no commission. This is starting to get infuriating.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I had a $0 sale and commission report last month and found out it was because the customer had in store credit with the merchant which resulted in the sale ending up being free. The customer did buy something from my link and the transaction went through SAS but the final amount of the sale was $0 because the customer had enough in the merchant's store credit account to off set the price of merchandise.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by CluckCluck View Post
    I reached out to the merchant and they said that they haven't seen the sale come through on their end, that's rather strange considering I have all the transaction information right in front of me.
    I hope that tomorrow this will be resolved, cause like all of us, the extra commission always helps!
    Did you give them the transaction ID? I wonder if a network rep might be able to confirm for you whether or not the transaction ID shows up on the merchant end or not. On the merchant end usually we (the AM) will see both the transaction ID and the matching merchant's own order ID. Perhaps the reason they can't see it is because they voided both accidentally after seeing it come through as a duplicate? Just trying to brainstorm scenarios in which the merchant is being honest but maybe confused. Alternatively could be something shady going on but I would hate to assume.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne View Post
    I had a $0 sale and commission report last month and found out it was because the customer had in store credit with the merchant which resulted in the sale ending up being free. The customer did buy something from my link and the transaction went through SAS but the final amount of the sale was $0 because the customer had enough in the merchant's store credit account to off set the price of merchandise.
    Another thought came to mind. Does this merchant offer any "free trials" Or "free samples" of anything? If they are that could be another possibility. I've come across situations before where a merchant has doorway pages indexed in Google etc which aren't accessible from the main site, and on those doorway pages they offer free trials etc. It's possible in those cases that though a customer has clicked through your link at some point prior to closing the transaction that they finalized an order on that "free" item (as Rexanne sort of pointed to above re: store credit) via one of those doorway pages found in a subsequent search prior to ordering.

I think ultimately the merchant has to be willing to find out the cause of the issue and not leave you wondering indefinitely about the "why." If they are not willing to try and figure out what could be causing the issue, I'd question if they're worth working with. But I'd give them benefit of the doubt first. Bring your ideas to them and see what they have to say. It's possible they are as in the dark about the why as you are. They may not know how to figure it out.
    Last edited by e-Gazer; November 24th, 2010 at 05:54 PM.

I have seen this happen twice in the last couple of weeks with a SAS merchant I manage... in both cases it was a Paypal glitch.. the sale went through paypal but it didn't not get reported back to SAS... in both cases we made a manual correction. You should contact the affiliate manager or site owner and find out if they take paypal, and if that could be what happened.
    Last edited by Anne; December 3rd, 2010 at 10:19 PM. Reason: i can't type, lol

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread