ABW Ambassador
    I used to love going to onion.com. Well, they like to bombard with ads nowadays.

They say "if you put too much salt on your food, salt is all you taste".

The onion gives relentless pop-ups, I have to look at a beer advertisement when transitioning from page to page and reading anything more than four issues back requires "premium membership".

Don't get me wrong, the humor is excellent, but it seems that they're shaking the money tree a bit too much.

The sixty-four dollar question: are they hurting for money or are they greedy?
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

ABW Ambassador
    Whether they are needy or greedy has no bearing on whether they are justified in monetizing traffic from the millions who are not willing to pay for "premium membership".

I don't work for free and I wouldn't expect anybody else to either No dollar, no donut.

ABW Ambassador
    In the world of advertising, I sort of believe in the mantra that "less is more". You can reach a point where too many advertisements drive viewers away for good - making you no money now or in the future. Popup's are a particularly good way to drive away visitors in my own opinion - especially if those users have popup blockers installed (like I do) and yet the sites by various means force the popups anyways.

Can be both greed and lack of money.

I recently was approached by Bestbuy to display one of their ads on my site. The ads rather large 728x90 which expands to 728x400 when you mouseover it. But at 10 dollar CPM they are paying I couldn't say no.

Here is what the ad looks like
    http://www.rydium.com/samples/BB-Expand.html

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I think I might prefer the popup ads (which my browser blocked) over the fat naked guy!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CheeseHead:
    I think I might prefer the popup ads (which my browser blocked) over the fat naked guy! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> It has become a greedy market,but that makes it a buyer's market,with sales down, even walmart is hurting,takes time to tango with the mavons of the market,and an election coming up,flip flopping?My nickled worth,
    JJ

ABW Ambassador
    Let's not make too many assumptions.

I'm not anti-advertisement. Not by a long shot. (I make posts here, right?) I understand that humor alone won't pay hosting costs.

I'm basically trying to figure out where the line is between "need to cover costs of operation/comfortable living salary" and "how much can I milk from it"?
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I'm basically trying to figure out where the line is between "need to cover costs of operation/comfortable living salary" and "how much can I milk from it"? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The key line is that where profits are maximized. If they overshoot it and drive people (and profits) away, then presumably they will cut back on the ads.

ABW Ambassador
    Like Salon with their day pass ad, they are trying to drive people into their subscription service. Some of them have been very successful, gamespot.com for instance.

Chet

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread