The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Hi all, I am starting a dog news paper. I have dog news, dog comics and dog advice. Anyway have any suggestions?
    Dog News

Mike
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

ABW Ambassador
    Is that cow in the background trampling a dog?

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Some of the news on your site is positively gruesome. You might want to get rid of that.

Mike...

Your other stuff looks great... but this dog thing...
    looks like something from the 90’s...
    and... the content isn’t too great either...

Use the same energy that you used to creat your other
    stuff to improve this site... otherwise... dump it and move on...

I’m only saying this because you asked...
    and since free advice is worth about what you pay for it...
    I only offer it for what it’s worth...

Bob
    <Font size="1" color="99000">Never doubt anybody's word for anything... but... Always double check everything... - Grandpa</font>

ABW Ambassador
    Well I think it is a good idea as a vehicle for promoting pet supplies.

The cow-trampling-a-dog graphic is a distraction at best.

The news; a bit gruesome as Rhea said, but relevant nontheless. I'd try to add informational articles to the site with brief summaries taking up the top part of the page, along with a couple of "featured products", then have the news a little further down "below the fold".

Great Idea!! Just clean up your template and graphics a bit - the google ad was blocking one of the articles.

Also, have you thought of doing a "dog blog"? That might get you some eyeballs too.

I am doing something similar with a different kind of animal, so best of luck!!!
    Ebudae

Boston: NO that is a barking cow dog :-)

Rhea: Hey don't make the news I only report it. I'll bet your regular paper has alot about the hurricane tomorrow, you don't see them removing it b/c lots of people and property got hurt.

web: Not gonna do it, but thinks anyway

Boston: You want the news in a newspaper to be deemphisised, kinda defeat the point of a newspaper. I don't know any dog information, that is why I get people to write the advice for me :-)

Ebudae: The ad isn't blocking an ad on my screen, the Adsence is in its own table. I'll see about the blog in several months, one thing at a time. I don't understand what you mean that the template is screwed up, seems fine to me.

Just to reinerate. The news is the news. I can't help it. I've been following the dog news for 2 months now, and well most of it is bad. Everyone once in a while you get some good news, a heroic dog or a dog found after walking 100s of miles. There is also the dog show news, dow park openings. What are you going to do, last week a catfish ate a dog. Well that is what the article said, but it happened in Poland so who knows.

Thanks for all your comments, keep em coming.
    Mike

I'm not into dogs really, but I can't see it being a fast-moving exciting sort of field.

The thing with news sites is that you really need to come up with original articles, or at least make a comment or summary of a longer article, rather than just aggregating news verbatim.

I run a news site about electronics has about 6-8 original articles a month, last month it attracted 14,000 visitors, from whom I made the princely sum of £147.30, or about 0.1 cents per visitor. I don't think the site actually breaks even. So.. a news site can be hard work and not a huge earner.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

All my sites are content sites, once I realised I can handle this web building business, I decided to start a site on a subject I'm not really interested in, but could get lots of content for.

The result is that it's the poor relation, it pays for itself and then more, but sometimes I think, I'd just like to sell it and be rid. Looking back I would have done better if I'd spent the time on my other sites that I was interested in instead.

I agree the news is pretty much all grim. Dog lovers (your potential audience) are just that - lovers of dogs. I can't see them lining up in droves to read bad news about dogs. They are also often pretty fanatical about their interest.

I hope you make a go of it, but I think you've chosen a difficult area.

A white background is usually best if someone is going to read a lot. Get rid of all the distractions and make things easy to read.

Remember, whitespace is a beautiful thang.

Happy news about dogs would be much more interesting to a dog lover.. keep the not-so-happy news in too, but change the balance.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Dynamoo, where do I find happy dog news? Let me look at the dog news coming up for tomorrow's paper...
    DOG'S owners to face charges
    PUTTING on the dog (about a westchester breed show)
    Dog trainer Sally Prehoda offers some insights into the canine mind.
    SHOW dog dies after attack at Elgin competition
    EUROPE Wide Hunt for Rabid Dog's Victims
    DOG Mauls Young Girl
    DOG Bites Politician On Campaign Trail (OK my first happy story)
    DOG dies in wreck; driver sustains minor injuries. (I suppose the dog wasn't wearing his seat belt)

Anyway I don't make up the dog news I simply compile it.
    Mike

Paul: I know what you mean, but it seems to me,t hat you always have to be improving your sites. Creating the paper its selt is not that hard, I have it partitally automated with software. The cartoons, I have bunches of what I can use, the articles, I have worked on getting so I shouldn't run out foir a while and the news comes all the time. Every week (well right now I'm 2 weeks ahead. I lay out the paper for the week that all it needs is the actual news, this takes me about an hour. Putting the actual news in the paper (b/c of the automation) takes about 5-10 minutes. Not much work but the number of pages will grow and grow and each one has the potential to get people to my site proper where they can buy stuff. I have found that every once in a while, there is a story people actually look for and my site is the only easy place to find it.

Also, who knows that combination of words someone will be looking for. The point is the work is minimal and the content is real and it makes my site more valuable. Personally, I don't care is people read the paper every day, if they read it one and see my site and bookmark it, that would be better. I'll try this between now and xmas and see what happens.

Once again, thanks everyone for their suggestions, keep em coming, even those that say this is a bad idea

Mike

Ojmoo, there's a recent merchant that's right up your street, you're probably aware of them, but just in case I was going to PM you, but can't find the link - it's late I'm tired - PM me and I'll reply.

http and a telephoto
    Your site with the news you are featuring is likely to attract a not-so-shopping minded crowd, it is actually going to attract the anti-dog ownership crowd it seems to me.

I would be looking for a new news feed.

I used to have a similar newsfeed on CoolCatSites.net and pulled it because it did nothing to enhance my site, and the news was always bad. Even I couldn't read it.

You may want to advertise on a writer's list I know of for columnists that might work in exchange for links and exposure. PM me if you want the list information. There are a couple of yahoogroups where you can post work for writers.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

http and a telephoto
    One more venue, yahoogroups has announced they are going to be changing some services and chopping the archives of some groups. If you are on dog related groups you might want to ask if they want to archive old messages on your site. I contacted some authors on my cat lists and will be moving relevant posts (that I have permission to re-post) to CoolCatSites in the very near future, since I don't know when Yahoo might zap the older messages.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> the google ad was blocking one of the articles. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

if google ads block copy and the viewers report it to google/adsense (happened to me) you could have a problem. they said to me that some viewers were opening my site in partial windows and the flush-right ads were lying over the directory copy. I finally moved to a page with two tables, left and right, with directory copy on the left and enough space for the ad patch on the right.

adsense folks were really micromanaging me last March; cost me a bit.

ABW Ambassador
    I would do news stories where you can tie in some selling. Do stories about dog health, tie it in here:
    http://store.yahoo.com/911healthshop/petshealth.html

Some people like to dress up their dogs with clothing/jewelry, drop some affiliate linked suggestions.
    http://www.emediawire.com/releases/2004/8/emw151879.htm

That kind of thing. Maybe look for products then look for stories to wrap around them.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread