Question about Sourcing Images and Content
    Hello, I'm a newbie in affiliate marketing, and I just wanted to clear some questions about copyright and information sourcing before I start doing anything. I searched through the forum and couldn't find the answers I was looking for.

I have an inspiration blog where I feature works by photographers and artists and also pictures of home decor, products from fashion shops, etc. I include all sources without exception and a link back to the original places where I found the photos. Is this in any way copyright infringement even though I am actually "publicizing/featuring" their works? I do plan on monetizing the blog through ads.

Secondly, I have a question about creating information/content sites. If I were to do a site on green tea benefits (I won't be. Just an example), I would go look up books, articles and other material for the content. What I learn is what I'm going to put in my own words, but would I still need to supply every source that I used to come up with the content?

Thank you so much in advance, and I apologize if I posted this in the wrong place.

You cannot use images that do not belong to you or that you do not have permission to use from the owner. Many images online are licensed for use through a Creative Commons license, but nearly all free Creative Commons licenses do not permit use of the images for commercial purposes such as an affiliate site. A link back to the owner's site is not sufficient to keep the owner from filing a DMCA complaint that can cause Google not to show your site and hosts will require you to remove the images. DMCA stands for Digital Millenium Copyright Act and it is the law.

Some Artists and amateur photographers may give you permission to use their works in exchange for a backlink, but you do need to ask for permission prior to using the work of other people on your site. There are many photo sites where images are available for a small fee. It is better to get permission or pay people for their work than to take a chance. If you read more about the DMCA you should get a good picture about use permissions for images and text.
    Good luck.

http and a telephoto
    Ditto what 2busy said, unless the affiliate program provides you images to use that link back to that program, you can't just grab images off the web and use them, even with attribution. Ask first, always.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I see... thanks! What about information? Such as writing about for an example the benefits of eating strawberries. Of course I would write what I learned in my own words, but do I have to ask for permission from the writer of the book I am using?

If you read more about the DMCA you should get a good picture about use permissions for images and text.
    It is always best to go and read for yourself. If I look at what I know and apply it to what I'm doing then I'm sure I'm not going to have a problem. Generally speaking, if you write about things you know in your own words, there is no need to give credit to where you learned about it. If you are quoting data from other sites, check the site's requirements. Most sites will have a copyright notice, then you will need to follow the DMCA guidelines. We all work in different ways and it is just best to look for those kinds of answers yourself because only you know precisely the kind of uses you plan to do with information from other sites. Good luck.

Reading the DMCA now =) Just wanted to see what others had to say. Thanks all for your input.

Regarding your written content; generally, if what you say is in your own words then you may post whatever you wish.

You don't need to post your references.
    Andrew M. Jaffe | [EMAIL="attorneyjaffe@aol.com"]Email Me[/EMAIL]
    Attorney at Law
    330-666-5026 [url]www.netlaws.us[/url]

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread