Talking Generic website for affiliate marketing - is this allowed?
    Hi,

I am very new to affiliate marketing. In fact I don't have a single website/blog that does this. I am thinking of an idea which is to make a generic website that deals with different categories.
    For example the shopping sites you see that deals with different categories like cosmetics, computer, books, apparel e.t.c. so I am thinking of such website where these categories will be displayed on left side.
    Clicking on each category will open a page where my affiliates banners/buttons/images will be displayed. And clicking on any banner/button/image will take user to that affilate website.

Is such a website allowed? Has anyone does this and got any success?

Thanks

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    This was done to death a decade ago and was proven to be a total waste of energy and resources.

You need to find a niche and build a site with content and relevant product links; the generic "link farm" concept died a long time ago.

Spend a couple of days reading here and you will find a vast array of info giving you insights into what you should not be doing, and into what you can do to start on the road to success.

Welcome to ABestWeb and good luck.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    This was done to death a decade ago and was proven to be a total waste of energy and resources.

You need to find a niche and build a site with content and relevant product links; the generic "link farm" concept died a long time ago.

Spend a couple of days reading here and you will find a vast array of info giving you insights into what you should not be doing, and into what you can do to start on the road to success.

Welcome to ABestWeb and good luck.
    Thanks for the quick reply. I was about to register a domain for this purpose but now I will wait and read more on this topic.

Can you tell me which category/niche will be right for me? I mean as a newbie if I have to start with one category (out of those categories list that you see on cj.com) what will it be?

Secondly I can't seem to find the beginners forum where I can read about affiliate marketing basics. There are a lot of forums here so please point me to the right one.

The "Affiliate Academy" forum should have much of what you need. There are a lot (likely, too many) sub-forums in there. I suggest you begin with the Affiliate ABCs.

As far as the "right" category? There is no "right" category for everyone. You should choose to begin with something in which YOU have a personal interest. That way you already have some background for, and familiarity with, the products/services. You will also have a personal interest, which makes it much easier (and more fun) to develop.
    Last edited by Bill; November 2nd, 2010 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Added the "category" bit.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMan View Post
    Can you tell me which category/niche will be right for me? I mean as a newbie if I have to start with one category (out of those categories list that you see on cj.com) what will it be?
    You need to pick what YOU are interested in - build a site about something you know and about which you will enjoy writing about.

Quote Originally Posted by TechMan View Post
    Secondly I can't seem to find the beginners forum where I can read about affiliate marketing basics. There are a lot of forums here so please point me to the right one.
    Here are a couple of places to start:

The Magic Bullet Thread
    AffiliateABCs.com
    Soo you want to start a niche site......
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    The "Affiliate Academy" forum should have much of what you need. There are a lot (likely, too many) sub-forums in there. I suggest you begin with the Affiliate ABCs.
    Thanks Bill

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread