GOP controls Legislature; nexus repeal possible
    The Republicans have won control of the House and Senate in Raleigh...

GOP takes the General Assembly - Elections - NewsObserver.com

Rep. Thom Tillis, who may be the next Speaker of the House (and the only legislator I talked to last year who really understood the negative impact of this legislation), has told me, "if I have anything to do with it, the click-through tax will be repealed."

The Legislature won't convene until January, faces veto threats from Gov. Perdue, and may not work this into their agenda until budget time next summer, but things are definitely looking up.

I hope this becomes a big issue so all those legislators who voted for this stupid bill will feel what they did to us.

Thom Tillis wins NC House Speakership...

House Republicans pick Tillis as speaker - Home Page - NewsObserver.com

For folks watching this thread... Let's come up with a lobbying game plan for repeal come the new year.

Tax Paying Member
    Need an organizational meeting soon. I mean a real organization.......not just a bunch of e-mails.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

I plan to contact Thom Tillis over the holidays and see if he will offer advice on who to meet with, time frame, etc.

NC is a big state, and it may be hard to get folks to travel for an organizational meeting and again for face to face lobbying. Maybe we can all do a conference call / video chat sometime.

Tax Paying Member
    It is a very big state.............Why not have some organization in various areas with reps from the areas to a state gathering?

Put a little pressure on each member of the legislature. Build the change from the bottom up. If enough of the less powerful know what the problem is and talk about it then the top echelon will be forced to listen.

I know that dealing with all of the legislatures is a major undertaking, but it is necessary in order to make changes.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

7. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Witzer View Post
    It is a very big state.............Why not have some organization in various areas with reps from the areas to a state gathering?

Put a little pressure on each member of the legislature. Build the change from the bottom up. If enough of the less powerful know what the problem is and talk about it then the top echelon will be forced to listen.

I know that dealing with all of the legislatures is a major undertaking, but it is necessary in order to make changes.
    My experience in that area is that most don't care to listen.

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BizDocs View Post
    My experience in that area is that most don't care to listen.
    I agree on that. Earned the "tee shirt" many times.

But if you can't get some to listen then it is a hopeless cause.
    Carolina China

Repeal update
    I received a couple of emails this weekend from the Internet Alliance, mostly noting new nexus legislation in a number of states. But it did include this...

Bills introduced recently pending in Colorado, Rhode Island and Oklahoma that appear to propose to repeal the sales and use tax reporting or affiliate nexus tax laws currently on the books. There is also one expected to be introduced shortly in North Carolina.
    There appear to be at least two groups of lobbyists working towards repeal. A repeal bill must be filed by March (PDF). I'd love to hear from any of you that would be willing to meet personally with legislators in support of this effort.

A Joint Regulatory Reform Committee is seeking input on regulations that may be preventing you from doing business in NC. Public hearings are coming up next month or you can provide feedback online. Details are available at North Carolina General Assembly - Joint Regulatory Reform Committee.

Regarding repeal, it is still expected that a bill will be introduced. Since it will be a finance bill, the filing deadline is April 6.

Tax Paying Member
    One newspaper article says that NC is in the process of auditing 400+ companies and another article states that the legislature is starting a repeal process

Yet, while others are introducing bills to tax Internet sales, North Carolina – one of the first states to pass an Internet tax – is seriously considering two measures (HB 867 and SB 715) that would repeal the law. North Carolina has witnessed first hand the negative repercussions of the Internet tax. Since its enactment, the law has failed to collect any additional revenue for the state or level the playing field with in-state businesses, instead simply costing North Carolina advertisers their jobs.
    Sounds like confusion
    Carolina China

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    Witzer, can you post or PM the link for this article - I can really use this info in discussions I've been having with some Ca legislators. Thanks.
    I sent you a PM but here are the links if anyone else wishes to read them.

States Push Internet Taxes While North Carolina Looks to Repeal

Senate Bill 715 Action History (2011-2012 Session)
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; September 22nd, 2011 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Updated links
    Carolina China

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Copied from conversation on this thread: http://www.abestweb.com/forums/north...le-138279.html

15. Thanks From:

Both links aren't working. I'm curious to see the articles as well if someone can post them

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Updated, should be working now.

18. Thanks From:

Tax Paying Member
    Thanks Chuck,
    I appreciate the help with updating the links,

Someday I will learn to use my computer
    Carolina China

ABW Ambassador
    Hopefully this gets repealed, then the state of NC can get some taxes from me.

ABW Ambassador
    Any updates on this? When is the next date something is happening? Also, did anybody keep a list of what merchants dropped NC affiliates? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    Hopefully this gets repealed, then the state of NC can get some taxes from me.
    Having faced two consecutive attempts at similar legislation in MN, I'm eager to see NC repeal their ignorant affiliate tax legislation and allow business persons to get back to work and earn a living.

GOOD LUCK!
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; December 30th, 2011 at 03:20 PM. Reason: typo

Tax Paying Member
    I do not see any thing happening at the moment. Last article in the news paper was a couple of months ago......quoting some state official saying that he is gona collect the money.

Appears to me that NC is waiting to see what Washington does... Of course that could all change tomorrow.
    Carolina China

Tax Paying Member
    Here is a blurp from a major NC news paper printed on Dec 1, 2011
    Now, after years of wrangling with online retailers, Congress is on the edge of a breakthrough, with bi-partisan bills in the U.S. House and Senate. The Senate bill even has the early, critical backing of Amazon.com. The bills would allow states to compel Internet retailers to collect taxes, but they would require those states to adopt streamlined and simplified rules that make it easier for online retailers to collect from different states.The bills each would exempt smaller online retailers from collecting sales taxes. Companies with less than $500,000 in annual online sales get the waiver in the Senate bill. In the House version, which is co-sponsored by N.C. Rep. Renee Elmers, the threshold is $1 million in annual sales.
    Carolina China

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    As messed up as CA's process has been the past six months, the one good by-product to come out of it was Amazon's agreement to both start collecting sales tax on sales to CA residents (thought not until September, 2012) and to support the effort for a national tax system.

Sounds like the federal bills are on track for a compromise on small retailers at $750,000, if it gets that far.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

If the Republicans stay in power long enough, they may try to get rid of this as part of an overall, comprehensive tax reform package. Other than that, the federal legislation is our best hope in the next couple of years.

27. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread