Hi all!

Hope all is well!

Just wanted to see what you think of this issue. I know how I think it will impact publishers, but I was wondering what the reation is from the publisher side.

This is what Google wrote:

"To provide even more value to your users, and to help you further monetize your web pages, we're allowing publishers to place up to three ad units on every web page. Our system will automatically recognize the additional ad units, and will serve unique ads to each. Your ad units can each have different color palettes, formats, and alternate ad URLs, providing you with the flexibility you need to incorporate Google ads into your site design...

Collapsing ad units

An additional option for your alternate ad content, Google's collapsing ad units ensure that your page space is used to its maximum potential at all times. When targeted ads aren't available for an ad unit, the collapsing ad unit feature will shrink the empty ad unit, so that blank ad spaces are eliminated from your page."

Interesting....isn't it.

Cheers,

Beth

Hey Beth,

How do you think it will impact the publishers? I want to do some testing before I can really say. Right now I have mixed feelings

What are the collapsing ad units? I don't get what they mean.

Collapsing ad units just mean that if there aren't any relevant ads to display, the adsense box won't take up any space.

If you use an alt ad URL or you just use a solid color, the area that the adsense ad should be in still takes up space on your webpage. If you use the collapsing ads, it's like the ad isn't there at all. I suppose this would be useful if you were mixing ads into the middle of the content on your page.

I was hopeing it would have a Minimize Button on the ad and it would collapse to reveal something different. Oh wells

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joey:
    Collapsing ad units just mean that if there aren't any relevant ads to display, the adsense box won't take up any space.

If you use an alt ad URL or you just use a solid color, the area that the adsense ad should be in still takes up space on your webpage. If you use the collapsing ads, it's like the ad isn't there at all. I suppose this would be useful if you were mixing ads into the middle of the content on your page. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

excelent feature

I've just come across a site with 3 AdSense units on it. It was a garbage page on a garbage site where the "content" was designed to just hit the AdSense keywords and get visitors there purely so that they clicked on an AdSense ad.

I think it will just encourage the proliferation of useless sites that we've already seen a lot of.

how do you tell google you want the collapsing ads, i didnt see any box to check or let them know that the code you want must have collapsing ad code in it?

where do i find that part

I haven't done anything with them to make it happen -- saw no place to make the specification, either, but I have three units down the side of some very long content pages ("industry" directory) and I notice some days some of them run absolutely blank.

If you want collapsing ads, you have to download a script and place it on your server. It's done on your server, not Google's.

The most AdSense ads I'm running on one page is two. I haven't noticed a huge change in click throughs with two ads vs. one ad. I can't imagine adding a third would be of any benefit. I have noticed more of mine running blank as well, guess I need to add an alternate ad to prevent that.

Andy

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread