Affiliate Manager
    Involved in multiple networks, will this negatively affect my program?
    Hey Guys!

I am new to managing an affiliate program and now have this task at hand for the company that I work for.

The program is new and I had signed up with SAS, LinkShare and CJ.

I have the followign stats:

CJ 1200 affiliates 13 Sales (1 month since launch)
    SAS 93 affiliates 1 sale (1 month since launch)
    LinkShare 300 affiliates 2 sales (1 week since launch)

I am excited about the amount of affiliates that have joined yet worried that there are not many sales. I am wondering if the fact that I have joined with multiple networks may be a bad thing and may be effecting me negatively...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

Hi Misha,
    Nice to meet you and welcome to ABW

Managing a program on multiple networks can be challenging because affiliates may be worried about their transactions being reversed. Here's how that works. Let's say a consumer is shopping around and they are researching your product. They do a search, find a blog post, click through a Linkshare link and come to your site. They're not ready to buy yet.

They continue their research and end up clicking back to your site from other blogs, or other shopping comparison sites, and my end up with a ShareASale cookie as well as a CJ cookie.

At the end of the month, you run a report and realize you're paying commission to three parties on a single transaction. So you end up backing out two of those transactions, so two affiliates see their numbers go down at the end of the month. That's never a fun experience.

It may not necessarily impact how many affiliates join your program, but it may impact what kind of priority the assign to your program. I'm sure some of them can respond with their opinion here as well.

I provide my opinion as a current affiliate manager, and as a former employee at ShareASale...but that's all it is, an opinion. Hope that helps though!
    best,
    Carolyn Tang Kmet
    AllInclusiveMarketing.com
    carolyn-at-allinclusivemarketing.com

I personally don't like multi-network programs because it removes the protections that you have by working with some of the more ethical networks.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I don't think being on multiple networks will have much impact on how many affiliates may or may not sign up or actively promote your program. Yes there are a small handful for whom it would be an issue, but it would be absurd to say (or think) that lack of performance from a base of 1,600 affiliates could be because of your program's being on multiple networks.

It does sound like you need to do a bit of promoting to entice potentially active affiliates to step up their game for you, though. But do keep in mind that when your total affiliate count is in the hundreds or thousands, as a general rule, only a single-digit percentage of them are going to produce any sales for you ever at all; the key is to get the most out of the ones who are potentially most productive.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Here's a good article that shows pros and cons
    Pros & Cons of Utilizing Multiple Networks by Brian Littleton

I try to avoid multinetwork programs as an affiliate. I can't tell you if that is a common attitude or not, and I'm sure that some folks sign up regardless of your multi-network status.
    From the time they sign up with your program until they produce a sale can be months depending on their priorities and methods. PPC affiliates may start producing sales right away, niche sites and content sites can take a few months to start producing so first month figures don't give you much indication of future expectations.

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the replies!

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread