7 days to remove links
    Got two auto generated eviction notices today from the same affiliate manager.
    A request has been submitted to terminate your participation in the o2 Gear Shop affiliate program.

You will have 7 days to remove any affiliate links to o2 Gear Shop from your website(s). As of Thursday, November 11, 2010 all remaining such links will become invalid and cease to count toward sales commissions on your account.

Please contact the affiliate program manager Chris Fink (cfink(at)o2gearshop.com) should you have any questions or concerns regarding this decision.
    Man that's cold to cut someone off without so much as a hint of a reason.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Yep, just responded to your email on that one John. You aren't the only one and it is unfortunate...

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell View Post
    ......Man that's cold to cut someone off without so much as a hint of a reason.
    Agreed. It is rude and not a good business practice. It will certainly keep us from ever looking at that program or purchasing from them.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Just reminded John of this in an email, but I thought I would post it here as well to remind everyone about "Inactive Link Handling" functionality.

If a merchant pulls the rug out from under you for whatever reason, you can at least assign links to a relevant merchant (instead of having a dead, inactive Affiliate link) for the short term while you get things updated..

Inactive Link Handling

(Note though in this case cited about, the 7 day notification period for removing your links will have to be up in order to see the merchant as an option for the invalid link handling configuration.)

Well I haven't heard from Mr. Fink in 4 days so he's probably not into communications. Just cut it all loose for o2 Gear and moving on. Was in way to deep with these guys.

I received the same message from Peter Glenn. They told me that the reason was that they are changing the focus of their affiliate program and removing coupon only affiliates. I do not use coupons but use their datafeeds.

I don't normally write when I get a removal notice, but this time it hurts. It is my second best perfoming program in Avantlink and it is near the skiing season. It is what makes affiliate marketing so depressing at times.

Quote Originally Posted by pdaden View Post
    I received the same message from Peter Glenn. They told me that the reason was that they are changing the focus of their affiliate program and removing coupon only affiliates. I do not use coupons but use their datafeeds.

I don't normally write when I get a removal notice, but this time it hurts. It is my second best perfoming program in Avantlink and it is near the skiing season. It is what makes affiliate marketing so depressing at times.
    Peter Glenn will work with you on it. They did with me on the same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell View Post
    Peter Glenn will work with you on it. They did with me on the same issue.
    Thanks John, I told them several days ago what my main site was and they have not reinstated my membership. I presume that they are not going to.

I wonder if anybody know of any merchants who are similar to Peter Glenn who I can use on my site.
    Last edited by pdaden; December 6th, 2010 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pdaden View Post

From a merchant standpoint, sometimes it is hard for us to tell what affiliates are really up to. Some affiliates go out of their way to make their practices somewhat of a secret, and I understand there are some good reasons for that sometimes. I think if you got in touch with the merchant, and explained your situation, hopefully the merchant would listen?

Quote Originally Posted by Makais View Post
    From a merchant standpoint, sometimes it is hard for us to tell what affiliates are really up to. Some affiliates go out of their way to make their practices somewhat of a secret, and I understand there are some good reasons for that sometimes. I think if you got in touch with the merchant, and explained your situation, hopefully the merchant would listen?
    That's a big old "it depends".... Some will, some won't.

Goes both ways though. I remember as an OPM and a merchant over the years reaching out to affiliates with questions and never getting a response either.

Business is business, as they say.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

To make a big generalization: good communication is good business, I think.

I need to get better at it myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I remember as an OPM and a merchant over the years reaching out to affiliates with questions and never getting a response either.
    I sometimes have a hard time telling what is a merchant reaching out and what is just a bulk email to all their affiliates.
    (But generally the how do you operate emails are fairly easy to see.)

I'm sure I've missed a few personal offers to talk to me and give suggestions on how we can work together to succeed because I assumed they are where bulk emails to everyone in their program.*

Quote Originally Posted by iolaire View Post
    I sometimes have a hard time telling what is a merchant reaching out and what is just a bulk email to all their affiliates.
    (But generally the how do you operate emails are fairly easy to see.)

I'm sure I've missed a few personal offers to talk to me and give suggestions on how we can work together to succeed because I assumed they are where bulk emails to everyone in their program.*
    Bulk emails are so easy to extensively personalize these days, it can be hard to tell the difference between a bulk email and a "real" personal email. Not just with affiliate network emails, but with emails in general.

Sometimes people ask me why I did not reply to an email, and I have to explain I thought it was just a bulk message sent out to 1000's of recipients...

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread