The biggest pitfalls doing Google AdWords?
    Hi,
    I'm thinking of starting an AdWords campaign, but before I begin can anyone tell me what the biggest problems are with AdWords or what I should watch out for?
    Thanks,
    Humsmasher

Biggest pitfall is spending more than you make before you learn how it all works.

Am I searching the right place in this forum for Adwords questions?
    Thanks 2busy,
    I posted here to gain insight about what NOT to do with Adwords.
    Thanks,
    humsmasher

The biggest pitfall of doing Adwords is how easy it is to spend money..

This is similar to what 2busy was saying - it takes only a few minutes to create a campaign, then let it fly. When I launched my first site, it made sense to launch a campaign to bring in new readership. It was crazy easy to blow through the daily budget, so I kept tweaking it upwards. The traffic that I attracted converted to zero sales...

I started to turn off the campaigns one by one (couldn't afford to keep it up!) - and started to focus on organic traffic. I haven't spent a dime on ads since 2008, and don't think it's something I would ever do again. My biggest frustration was not being able to measure the quality of traffic coming in.. again, probly my own lack of knowledge.

If you're prepared to launch a campaign, I would spend time on research... take the time needed to understand the process, and learn PPC properly (optimization, etc). It has become an industry specialty of its own..

Just sharing my own personal experience.. I lost money that I was able to recover using organic search.

On some level, it reminds me gambling in Vegas... you have to know what you're doing to make it work. But there are professionals out there making a living at it.

teezone,
    Great, insightful answer! The quality of traffic! Is there a way to measure it?
    humsmasher/scottgerling

test and track... see whats working and what isn't so you can remove the keywords not converting or converting well and focus on the ones that are

Another thing that beginners often do wrong with AdWords is to use too generic of keywords. They'll cost you WAY too much and get you less targeted traffic than more specific keywords.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Some of the biggest problems are these:

Broad match is the default match type. Exact or phrase are almost always better.

The content network is on by default. I think this confuses most people as they really dont know where their leads are coming from.

It is very easy to set the wrong geographic targetting being optimistic. If you deliver something tangible or in person you should not be making statewide ads unless you are in a tiny state and have good delivery terms and little to no competition.

And as quick as possible learn the conversion rate. If 1% convert and clicks cost you $1, is it worth $100 to make a sale?

GL

I know this is more on the "to do" side rather than the pitfalls, but a good list of negative keywords can really make a difference.

Do you really want to match when people search for a product you're promoting if they also have keywords like: free, customer service, phone number, scam, broken, fix, repair, uk, canada, sex, etc.

Look through the suggested keywords in Google and I'm sure you'll find many ideas of things to add to your negative keyword list.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Absolutely what michael said. The negative keyword list is one of the most important things you could have, but you don't know exactly what to put there unless you've got a good analytics program running. Monitor your stats daily to weed out the terms G thinks are a match but you don't want. In the meantime consider setting a limit on the amount you want to spend each day, until you flesh out your negative keyword list.

Also, make sure you specify North America only, or UK and Ireland only, whatever market you want. Otherwise in 10 minutes you will have 20 visits from Kragostan that you didn't want at $1 a click.

Create at least 3 ads and monitor them daily as to what is performing best, and delete the bottom two and fine tune the best one. There are dozens of things you can do to an ad that will make them stand out such as use a @ or a TM thingy. There is evidence of a "keyword triangle" catching the eye so try that out.

plus I would set it up on adcenter first to see if it was profitable, because everytime you add a campaign to Adwords you risk your entire portfolio being slapped. I only ad campaigns once they've proven to be winners.

Paranoid? you betcha.
    Last edited by ToughTurkey; November 8th, 2010 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ToughTurkey View Post
    plus I would set it up on adcenter first to see if it was profitable, because everytime you add a campaign to Adwords you risk your entire portfolio being slapped...........

Using Google AdWords would cause your site to be dropped by Google ??? Never heard this before.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    Using Google AdWords would cause your site to be dropped by Google ??? Never heard this before.
    Not what I said. I said/meant if you add a campaign to your account that turns out to score a low QS for whatever reason, it could negatively impact your other campaigns. No sites are being dropped from the index, just adwords QS taking a dive, which is too much of a gamble in Q4. Anyone who thinks it's impossible has been drinking too much Google KoolAid.

I personally won't be adding or tinkering with my campaigns until Q1. I've been tinkering all year so that it's smooth sailing now.

Quote Originally Posted by ToughTurkey View Post
    Not what I said. I said/meant if you add a campaign to your account that turns out to score a low QS for whatever reason, it could negatively impact your other campaigns. No sites are being dropped from the index, just adwords QS taking a dive, which is too much of a gamble in Q4. Anyone who thinks it's impossible has been drinking too much Google KoolAid.

I personally won't be adding or tinkering with my campaigns until Q1. I've been tinkering all year so that it's smooth sailing now.
    Ok, Thanks
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

And this really uncovers the biggest pitfall of using Adwords (getting back OT), if you do something google doesn't like they will ban your account faster than you can say googlebot.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread