I'm being hit by some sort of bot that is clicking through every single link. So far I've got over 2500 product link click thrus showing up to a single merchant in the last hour.

I wish it weren't a spider but real peoples and I was about to become a very wealthy man hehe.

CJ I'll be giving you all a ring tomorrow and hopefully you can restore my epc as well as my merchants.

hmm... 7200 cj click thrus and counting

Damn skippy!

Have you identified them yet?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I didn't see this thread before, but if it's still going on, it might be worth turning your whole site 403-forbidden for a couple of minutes, just to break the loop on the spider.

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

Or put something like this in your .htaccess file

<Limit GET>
    order deny,allow
    deny from ip address
    </Limit>

I've had this happen before. Deny that IP number as suggested above in your .htaccess file. Leave it alone for a month or so, then try removing it, but keep an eye on your logs.

I removed mine after 24 hours, and got hit again. The second time, I waited over a month and it hasn't been back.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, Heyder. I hope CJ will do something to restore your good EPC.

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

I am having something similar happen this morning - 5000 and counting hits on a particular page of my site - fortunately (or unfortunately, I guess) the products on that page very rarely see sales, so, I have taken the page offline for awhile - we'll see what happens.

Abigail

ABW Ambassador
    This brings up a good question. What bad things happen to affiliates with low EPCs?

Do merchants see an affiliate's overall EPC and cancel them?

I have some low conversion merchants (job search engines, etc.). Because of this, I have a less than respectable EPC.

boom!

I don't think any merchant with half a brain would cancel an already existing account because of low epc and especially if that affiliate is producing sales for them.

I do think it does affect when you apply to a new merchant if they are into screening their affiliates.

I think epc is really more of an affiliate tool to judge merchants performance as well as your own to give you an idea of your standing.

PS I'm now up to 14k clicks for the day plus a total of 11k from yesterday. As I said last night I was going to report this to CJ today. I called and talked with a guy named Ed this morning and he made it sound like it was a good idea to call when situations like this occur. My merchant could think I was trying to pull a scam on them and drop me but now CJ is there to back me up in case this happens and work it out.

ABW Ambassador
    I think these wacky spiders are one of the banes of EPC programs. They do look like fraud.

I would hope that CJ would be smart enough to block such spiders in their .HTACCESS file. If you have the name and IP of the spider, it would be great if you posted it on the board. I would hate for the thing to visit me.

boom!

What name does this "visitor" go by when it shows up in your logs?

Ray

If it's slick, it's not sticky.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread