Sorry for this but I had to vent somewhere or my head would burst. If it isn't bad enough that google and yahoo are out to do us in, now my web host, who shall go unnamed, is screwing me. On August 25th just before google did their little update, my web host decided that they would point my url to a new server and IP address without telling me and delete my files on the old server. Fortunately that was recovered after much hassle, but between that and google's update my traffic dropped from about 10,000 hits a day to 1000. It started getting a little better this Monday, but last night they decided that they would do that little trick again. Now they are having trouble getting it back so my site has been down for over 10 hours. I'd love to have my own server and not have to deal with this but I don't have the computer expertise to do that. I'd also love to reach through my computer and knock some people silly. This is driving me nuts. ...Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Epic, my heartfelt sympathies.

You need a new host. FAST. Ask them how they'd like it if you sent your payments to some random address every month.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Ouch! If you end up looking around for a new host, I still like www.thmedia.net .
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Yup, never had a problem with TH Media, although they did have a major server wobbly last year that hit a lot of ABW members. But all hosts can have major hardware issues.

It definitely sounds like you need a new host. There's lots of 'em out there. Just remember to keep your domain name and hosting in separate places

Added: my *big* traffic sites have their own hosting accounts, but I also have a reseller account which I can have as many domains on as I like. In case of an emergency, I can temporarily move a site from my main host to the reseller. Of course, it takes at least 24 hours to the DNS changes to work, but I have done that a couple of times in the past as a precaution (especially if the host has a major planned outage).
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Epic, I feel your pain.... i had (keyword had) a hosting company that did the same funny business... to me... called it load sharing...

I called it stupid... I was up and down never really knew when I was online... and my sales suffered....

moved to a dependable host... no problems since..

I too would like to move to a decicated server... but I dont have the required knowledge to manage my own server...

so I hunted around till I found two dependable hosting companies...

now my websites are split between two reseller accounts in two differnt data centers in different parts of the country.

I now have room to menuever when an outage comes...

ONe more thing... I have dedicated IP #s so I know I am not going to be shut down because of spam... or some other TOS issue beyond my control..

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Thanks for all the thoughts. I've been afraid to change hosts because I've heard bad things can happen when your IP address changes. I've heard that you can loose your position in the serps. But obviously those go up and down like the tides anyway and right now they will be down after my site's been offline for so long so this might be a good time to change. I've also worried about old pages that I may not have backups of. But those pages are probably not doing well anyway since they are old and haven't been updated forever. So this might be a very good time to go to something different.

Thanks all

No, changing your IP address won't adversely impact your position in the SERPs. Having your host go up and down might.

I had to move my busiest site back in January and it went without a hitch.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Go to rackspace in Befree -- sign up as an affilaite -- then grab yourself a server!

I know your pain... get yourself a dedicated server you will love it... and the price is worth it... tehy can be had for $100 and sometimes less a month with tons of features!

I was one of those who was majorly hit by that "server wobbly" (in Americanese, that's SCREW UP, LOUSY SUPPORT, EVEN WORSE COMMUNICATION, AND TOTALLY DROPPING THE ACCOUNT OPTIONS AFTER MONTHS OF PROBLEMS, but who would hold a grudge after a year of relief and not having to worry about my hosting since I left them behind?).

The first host I ever worked with (past tense) did that little change-the-IP-without-telling-you-and-not-transferring-the-site trick. The next one wouldn't allow me any cgi. The next one was/is/continues to be great but I persisted in trying to find another decent host for diversity. So the next three errors went the way of the first two. I have finally found another host I can rely on for uptime, but for all around can't be beat, the one and only for me is that third.

One of the things that is important for me, besides that dedicated IP address (and not LYING about it being a dedicated IP when you can get the info on the net that another hundred some odd sites are on the same IP), is a host owning their data center. Resellers out of Texas don't differ all that much in their wobblies, IMNSHO. It's not an insurance policy, but the only two hosts I've been satisfied with (and only one gets my business sites) both have their own data center. In case of hurricanes, they are in charge of the generators. All support tickets are answered by someone who can type American as a first language and who is actually dealing with the issue.

I just renewed my accounts that I had to emergency transfer a year ago this month. The search engines forgave the IP switch, and I've been able to concentrate on business instead of *when* the NEXT outage would occur. Not if, when. I am always truly thankful when my billing surprises me. It means I haven't had to think about my hosting!

epic, get out now before Q4.
    Video Marketing Success eBook -- co-written by webmarm

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Couple more bits of advice. I wouldn't go with a server that's physically located in either California (earthquakes and brownouts) or Florida (lightning strikes, hurricanes and brownouts). Nor would I go with a server located in tornado alley.

Hmmm. Would Arizona be the best place to have your server?

ABW Ambassador
    My best experience is with a host called alentus, I have 3 different companies now, and have tried 8 more. Alentus was the best, support goes even beyond contract limits just to satify the customer.
    Fer(nando) - US & EU Marketing

Whats the advantage of having the domain and hosting in different places. I have 10 sites and domains all at godaddy
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

The problem would be "having your eggs in one basket" if GoDaddy went down.

But really, if either your domain or your hosting goes down, it has the same effect as both going down.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I am going to do my research and find the right host that can give me a true dedicated server. The bozo's finally got me back online this afternoon after 13 hours of being offline. I updated some pages and the googlebot has been all over my site tonight so that is good. I actually made $70 on the 700 or so hits I got today so that's good. It seems people are doing lots of shopping right now. It makes me wish I had the 10,000 hits/day I was getting two weeks ago.

My host is in Orlando. They made it through Charley on generator. Someone actually stayed at the data center to add fuel... hurricanes could not drag me away from this host.
    Video Marketing Success eBook -- co-written by webmarm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Whats the advantage of having the domain and hosting in different places. I have 10 sites and domains all at godaddy <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you ever have a falling out with the host, then you can just walk away if you control the domains. However, if they lock your account for any reason, you're completely stuffed if that controls your domains too.

You are far more likely to have a bad experience with a host than a registrar. Keeping them separate keeps *you* in control of your sites, not them.

Sorry to hear about your hosting troubles, epic. I moved one of my sites 4 times in one year in an attempt to find a decent host. I know all of them are going to have problems from time to time, but sometimes enough is enough.

I also agree 100% about keeping your domain and hosting separate. I've heard real horror stories about people who were basically held hostage because they couldn't move their site to a better host, because the old host wouldn't let go of the domain. Very important to keep the two separate. That way, if your host goes bad, you can move your site immediately and after the domain propogates, you're back in business!

Andy

I'm shopping for a new host for sure now. They did the same thing to me again and it took just as long to get it back. That's enough of that. How do you go about having your domain at one place and your host at another?

Hosting is not an area to look for bargains ...I always host with expensive ones so that they have enough cash flow to run a data center and support team

I will suggest to go for a dedicated server in reputed concerns like rackspace or pair .Also always have domain registeration and hosting separate so that no one can blackmail you

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread