Unhappy Help! Google Dropped My site
    I have an 8-month old e-commerce mini website that's was sitting on pg 1 of Google for the past 5 months. It is in a very small niche but was slowly building traffic to 220 visits a month - 95% from Google. I only got 4-5 conversions a month, but it's a very high-end product and that sometimes meant a $1,000 for me.

Unfortunately, as of Saturday Google de-indexed all but two pages. This included the homepage, which was the best ranked page. Now you have to go to page 4 to find my site and I am getting 0 traffic.

I should mention that on Saturday I added a single affiliate link to my website from Commission Junction. It was the only affiliate link on my site - but I find it hard to believe that it's a coincidence that Google dropped me on the same day!! If you have an ecommerce site - apparently it's not worth the risk to add even a single affiliate link.

I have been reading different blogs about dealing with de-indexing but I would really appreciate it if members of the community could share there experiences about how they managed to overcome "getting dropped." Did you manage to get back to your former ranking? How long did it take? What did you do to get that result?

Thanks so much.

PS. May this never happen to any of you!

Affiliate Manager
    I am sorry to hear that

You can start checking your backlinks to be sure you have no harmful ones.

Good Luck!

ABW Ambassador
    tblogster,

First thing - don't panic!
    I know that this is hard advice to take when your site disappears from Google but it will usually come back in a short time.

In addition to Victoria B's advice:
    1) Are you using Google Webmaster Tools? If you are, you will be able to see if there are any major problems with your site (in the eyes of Google).
    2) Are your sitemaps up to date? Again, a great way of keeping Google happy.
    3) Are you pages really de-indexed or just appearing way down the SERPs?

I have a "page one" site that recently disappear (but not de-indexed) and it resurfaced in around a week.

My advice is to diversify with a few well-ranking sites so you always have two or three on top at a time...

Could you post an update in this thread when your site does come back?

Dave
    Last edited by CanadianDave; November 9th, 2010 at 08:52 AM.

They wouldn't have done this for an affiliate link. Are you doing (or have you done) anything that they would view as spamming the index?

Have you ever hired an SEO firm to improve your rankings? Some are less than ethical and will do things that get quick but temporary results.

Have you ever paid for high-PageRank backlinks?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks for your replies.
    Canadian Dave was right. It turns out that all my pages are still indexed, they have just lost their rankings altogether. Hopefully you are also right that my rankings will come back in a week or two.
    I have never hired an SEO. This is a really simple site. It only had 4 backlinks and they were all kosher. It's a miracle that it got to page 1, but there is very little competition, and none from anyone who has invested in keyword rich content.
    In the meantime, I submitted it to Google for reconsideration. It says you can do that if you site suddenly drops drastically in rank. I am also building a few new links.
    I also can't believe this happened due to one affiliate link - I have other sites that have quite a few affiliate links and Google doesn't hate them. But the coincidence is a bit much!
    Anyone else have any advice or experience to offer?

Take a deep breath... and welcome to the roller coaster that is search rankings!

A site that is only 8 months old will definitely take time to settle - you should consider it a very good thing that you reached page 1 quickly. However all good things (with google) do eventually come to an end

All good advice here - webmaster tools, maintain keyword rich content, etc - just don't get obsessed, even though it does have a (seeming) drastic impact on revenue. And I speak from personal experience as google rankings have been my obsession on many occasions. But once I stop looking for immediate changes in serp results, and get back to the basics of improving the visitor experience, good things start to happen.

If your affiliate link was relevant, and targeted to the page, it wouldn't have caused the drop in rankings.

My best advice is to be prepared for up/down cycles.. it's part of the business.

Don't panic.

Unfortunately, as of Saturday Google de-indexed all but two pages. This included the homepage, which was the best ranked page. Now you have to go to page 4 to find my site and I am getting 0 traffic.
    Since your site is not de-indexed completely.

Maybe is caused by google dance.

Wait for 1~2 weeks to see what will happen.

ABW Ambassador
    pmarketings,

It was my understanding that the "Dance" was no longer an issue (and has not been for a few years). When my site tanked recently I did a lot of reading and this (the G dance) seemed to be older information that went away once Google started live indexing.

From somewhere on the internet:
    The name "Google Dance" has often been used to describe the index update of the Google search engine. Google's index update occurred on average once per month. During an index update there was significant movement in search results and Google showed new backward links for pages. However, in mid-2003 Google started to update it's index continuously. It appears that, still, there has to be an update of the complete index once in a while and during this time new backward links are shown. But, because of the continuous update, the effects on search results seem to be rather insignificant.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by pmarketings View Post
    Don't panic.

Since your site is not de-indexed completely.
    Maybe is caused by google dance.
    Wait for 1~2 weeks to see what will happen.

An update on my site...
    It is starting to get more traffic again, but not for my main keywords and for some reason this means no leads or sales. I guess that long-tail does not work in this niche - people are either looking to buy it or not.
    In any case, I'm hanging in there and hopefully things will pick up again eventually...
    Thanks to everyone for your advice!

One of my sites dropped into oblivion too last week after a number of months on page 1. It was a 20 page site that is now just getting a trickle of traffic for long tail keywords.

The site is an Amazon afiliate site. I was thinking it dropped either because of the afiliate links, there was 15 in many pages (did not make it nofollow) or the fact I had Unique Article Wizard for backlinks.

Maybe it would help if you add some more pages, Google dosen't generally like thin sites.

Thin affiliate sites does not refer to the number of pages, but rather sites that offer little or nothing of value other than affiliate links and the same word-for-word product descriptions found on countless other sites.

Adding quality pages and properly anchored backlinks to your site will likely give you a nice boost... in time.

A quick question:

when you update the datafeed (like product datafeed), would that affect google rank?

Yes.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Actually I had a relatively big drop last time also.. My site have gone done to the #20 position for a pretty nice keyword, however I started to get more backlinks and everything went back fine

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread