Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ok everyone knows the best time of the year is coming..... we have 2 months really...

If you could only make 1 site that you would promote full tilt for the christmas season what would it be?

a mall site?
    a niche site? and if so what is a good niche for christmas thats bound to get sales if effort is put in to get it up in the rankings?

thanks for your time

ABW Ambassador
    Live Christmas trees or naughty elf (little people) costumes.

ABW Ambassador
    It takes google 3-4 months to add you to the index AND show your results for a new site now days. You should have asked this question 3 months ago.

Add to the sites you have now. That is my suggestion.

I agree it is already too late to make a site I started my christmas site on mother's day
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Outsourced Program Manager
    I recommend making a shoe site for any time of year. If you have any traffic right now we've increased our base comission from 10% to 25% for the month of September.
    Brook Schaaf
    Schaaf-PartnerCentric
    p/f: 512.464.1122
    Skype - brookschaaf
    www.schaafpc.com | brook@schaafpc.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I agree with Sid.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    How about a collectibles site?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>a mall site?
    a niche site? and if so what is a good niche for christmas thats bound to get sales if effort <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's too late to make a new site for Christmas, but assuming you have one, a good mall site with lots of sales/specials listed is a prime Christmas site.

I have a content site that does very well, but, come Christmas, it does better than average but not spectacular (owing to the "summer" orientation of my site). Thus, for me, while Christmas is good, it isn't nearly as good for a well-trafficed and well-done Mall Site.

If I had to promote only one product type, it would be apparel, whether shoes, shirts or jackets. Apparel is still one of the best selling items online, and Christmas is "prime time" for all sorts of apparel buying (another reason my site does so-so over Christmas, a lack of apparel!).

I'm with Leader & Sid on this one.

ABW Ambassador
    At this point to be sure you get any Christmas pages in, just make them on an existing site and link to them from a page that always gets that "fresh date" from Google, index page is good. Google has been picking them up usually within 24-48 hrs. and nowadays they stick.

Trusty:

Aren't you forwarding all Christmas traffic to phillyBurbs this year?

ABW Ambassador
    Other way around, i want some of that phillyburbs traffic

I keep dreaming Oprah will mention me and send me some of that pushing my site to the brink, knock it offline traffic

Animal Lover
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I keep dreaming Oprah will mention me and send me some of that pushing my site to the brink, knock it offline traffic <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought that was called the slashdot effect...

Oscar
    My DataFeed Scripts - php datafeed scripts for your site
    Shareasale datafeed scripts - to display Shareasale datafeeds
    Linkshare datafeed scripts - for multiple Linkshare merchants

Ok so i have a site that is showing in alexa at aroun 539,46 it has no page rank.. and was using it for summer site.. but gonna take that down make it into a christmas all in one mall site.. its indexed.. any hope if i work on it now.. i could get that found for keywords by november/december??

and is appareal the way to go? like what an earth are the best sellers for christmas time.. what do people buy online at christmas i havent a clue LOL....

ok more info

so the site i has about 512 pages found in yahoo but none in google.. not sure why... anyway...

what would you do.. would you just create a subdomain like

apparel.existingdomainname.com
    computers.existingdomainame.com

or would you just create pages like

www.existingdomainname.com/apprarel.htm
    www.existingdomainname.com/computers.htm

etc....

At first I was thinking of completely taking down the pages i have up there.. on that site

and stating afresh but that wouldnt help would it? i mean the existing domain is to do with outdoor furniture all the 512 pages are to do with that..

totally unrelated for christmas so i though i could take the outdoorfurniture index and sub pages down... a put in its place a new index page and subpages related to christmas? GOOD IDEA? or BAD?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I have no clue what categories to list on the site if above is correct?

ABW Ambassador
    "I thought that was called the slashdot effect..."

slashdot traffic would pale in comparison to oprah traffic. Oprah traffic probably would spend more per visitor than slashdot traffic too. She's one of the most powerful people in America

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>what would you do.. would you just create a subdomain like

apparel.existingdomainname.com
    computers.existingdomainame.com

or would you just create pages like

www.existingdomainname.com/apprarel.htm
    www.existingdomainname.com/computers.htm

etc.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would stay away from excessive sub-domain use. Great way to get banned from the SE's. One or two subs probably won't kill you, but many, many sites have been nailed for excessive (and useless, INMO) use of sub-domains.

ABW Ambassador
    LastHope,

I wouldn’t take down your current pages. The SE's think your site is about summer furniture (hopefully) and you don’t want to change the whole nature of the site from season to season. If you change the page names then you will be in a LOT of trouble with the SE's dropping your pages and thinking you have deleted some of your content.

I would do www.domainname.com/apperal.htm and go from their if it was me. Also about November put xmas banners on your summer pages. It can't hurt.

Good luck.

I agree with Sid_'s last comment. I'd also suggest that this entire thread get a spell checker (apparel)...

Actually, that's a pretty good word for targeting spelling errors. Hmm...

What about Christmas cards? I have a line on some very unique cards that have never been released and have considered putting together a program for them. How do cards generally do?
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What about Christmas cards? I have a line on some very unique cards that have never been released and have considered putting together a program for them. How do cards generally do? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paper greeting cards?

*Starts having flashbacks*

I used to have GetACard.com when they were at CJ, and...

1) Not many people who searched for cards really wanted *paper* cards, so the total amount of orders was pretty lousy.
    2) What's a good price for a card, is still cheap. $5.00/card = 50c commish = Pbbbtt!
    3) People really *didn't* buy one for all their friends and relatives. So 50c was about it for a sale, maybe a buck-and-a-half if I was lucky.

In short, cards were a dud for me. I think I ordered more cards from there than anyone else on my sites, actually! It seems that most people do not share my passionate hatred of standing in card stores on hurting feet, going through picked-over stock.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Leader:

Then there's the advent of people making their own cards. Most of the cards we get these days are the family picture postcards, handmade or customized cards from a computer.

ok dudes ill do that how about i leave all my pages up on the server....

but i change the INDEX file to a SHOPPING mall and then add pages...

thing is im not if my site has been penalized on google? as there is no page rank and i cant find any of my pages on google but i can on yahoo

That's quite often the case, you do well on one, but bad on the other. I'd keep your summer index as index2 or something and link to it from your new index and vice versa. Then when summer comes around again, just rename the two files...

Thanks for the tips on the cards. I was thinking of only selling mixed sets of a dozen, so commission could be okay. These would also appeal to a pretty narrow market, so maybe they'd sell well for the right site. I'll have to think it through a bit more.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

eathan thanks for that idea that was PERFECT IDEA!!!!

i will do that only one set back... and im not sure if my site is penalized LOL.... cant remember if i ever had page rank none there now. cant find pags in google but can find in yahoo.. do you think yahoo would be sufficent for sales this christmas???

http and a telephoto
    I can't seem to sell apparel to save my life, maybe this year will be different. I certainly have enough apparel merchants up, including my own stuff!!!

[forgot to include:]
    And my butterfly site is selling postcard 8 packs and greeting card 6 packs nicely, so I wouldn't discount the idea that properly marketed cards, that are interesting and unique could still sell well.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast