Maximizing 70K traffic per month
    Hey all,

My first post and love this forum already (been following it for about a month).

So, i have the following situation and my thoughts where i would appreciate any comment/s.

Background:
    Have 2 tech blogs ( and working on the 3rd one). Both of them are aged and get a total of 70k/month (hits not PV) organic traffic targeted to phone/gadgets .
    Site 1; 45K (from all over the world, mainly noth america)
    Site 2: 25K (US and Canada)

Problem:
    So, i have been already using adsense, kontera and chitika and making OK $$$, so i thought may be i could maximize my traffic and channel them into a sales/deal page

Situations:
    Solution 1: Shopzilla api and create a search engine (will cost me about $700-$800 to revamp both the sites for that ). I already have the api approved
    Solution 2: Intigrate Amazon store (again quite a bit of money to change the lay of the sites)
    Solution 3: Buy softwares similar to OWS (again quite a bit of $$)
    Solution 4: Joint venture with some one for the sales portion of the site with 50-50 share

I am becoming biased to solution 4 since a) that will take some work off me since i already have a FT job b) i am not an expert on this so that will bring the expertise c) making more $$ out of my site

Any comment on how to get started with Solution 4 will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

First off, welcome to ABW. Looks like you've got a good web background, a head start on traffic, and a plan. And thank you for the thoughtful first post.

Question for you...

When you say Joint Venture, are you indicating you'd like someone to monetize the site essentially, while you continue to provide the content and framework? Or are you looking for someone that knows your space in particular, and will write "non-sales" content as well?

There might be a few folks here interested, if you can be a bit more specific as to how YOU like/want to work.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Yes, Welcome to ABW.

BTW, In my opinion, no-one can understand if Affiliate marketing is a good fit until they know what search terms are bringing in the traffic. Its really hard to convince someone to buy something if they aren't in a buying mood. I guess other's opinions might vary on this subject, but I would think that "Android OS x.x Release Notes" is not going to lead to very many purchases and you would be better off sticking with CPM/CPC ads.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    Yes, Welcome to ABW.

BTW, In my opinion, no-one can understand if Affiliate marketing is a good fit until they know what search terms are bringing in the traffic. Its really hard to convince someone to buy something if they aren't in a buying mood. I guess other's opinions might vary on this subject, but I would think that "Android OS x.x Release Notes" is not going to lead to very many purchases and you would be better off sticking with CPM/CPC ads.
    This is a valid point. Not all traffic is created equal in the scope of affiliate marketing.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

It's hard to make suggestions without a little more detail, but what I would suggest would be to manually integrate deals into your blogging in a more natural manner rather than making a sales page any trying to funnel visitors to that. Blog about tech things, as usual, but include affiliate links when you blog about anything product-related. And if you find any especially good deals relevant to your blog, blog about them. But don't get too commercial. You have two competing priorities - building traffic and monetizing that traffic - and if you focus too much on monetization, you may risk losing your readership.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

If your third site is going to be the same as the other 2, I would suggest you hold off to create the third site. Focus on 1 site to figure out what works to maximize your visitors funnel either by directing traffic from blog posts, to specific landing pages, ppc to landing pages, etc. etc. Figuring and optimizing various revenue streams and mix - locations of ads, blocks of Adsense, merchants, etc. etc. Once you are satisfied with what works, then move on, rinse and repeat.

@ Kevin:
    When you say Joint Venture, are you indicating you'd like someone to monetize the site essentially, while you continue to provide the content and framework? Or are you looking for someone that knows your space in particular, and will write "non-sales" content as well?
    I have a group of guys ( 2 and 1 ) who post regularly and i would like to continue providing the contents moving forward. If i go in JV route then i would want someone to run with the 'sale/aff marketing' part leveraging (at least try to ) the existing traffic.

What i also think (looking at the trffic) is that my sites will not be good for one item aff sales pitch or things similar rather 'amazon' or 'shopzilla' type sales section of the site. Again i dont have enough af exp so take this with a grain of salt.

@ Isellstuff, ladidah and michael for yor thoughts and comments.
    I have adsense ( 3 displays per post) chitika ( for organic traffic) and kontera for in text links and currently i have reached about $7-$8/thousand hits. I really dont know what else i can do to optimize those chanel and get more out , which is why i am thinking to add a sales section to generate more revenue.

About the new site , i am not expecting to make anything besides above for next 6-8 months. I dont want to bring/display too much stuff to my readers and pushing them out of my sites when i am trying to build the reputation.

I have to ask, is it 70k hits or are you talking about unique visitors? You said it wasn't pageviews, but hits is even more inflated.

That aside, if I'm doing the math right with the numbers you posted it sounds like you're making about $525 a month on the 70k. That's a good start, but not all that exciting as a JV. In my opinion you'd be best served learning the ropes on your own a bit more and building your traffic, income and assets before looking for a partner. I don't think you'll find one of any quality until you build something solid yourself to put on the bargaining table.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by Eathan; November 18th, 2010 at 02:59 AM. Reason: didn't like a certain comma
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Eathan View Post
    In my opinion you'd be best served learning the ropes on your own a bit more and building your traffic, income and assets before looking for a partner. I don't think you'll find one of any quality until you build something solid yourself to put on the bargaining table.
    Yup, I agree...
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread