Datafeeds. I'll Bite
    So.

If the links are 1435 characters long.... How am I supposed to work with these things?

How do you guys deal with merchants using a Froogle feed for their aff program?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Let me ask a more specific question..... How are you importing those links into your data tables? Shortening them ahead of time? Using a Blob field?

I'm using a plug in for Wordpress to parse Datafeeds, so I need to find a solution. The merchant in question is critically important to us.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

I used to use a text(255) field, but changed it to a blob field or something similar when I ran across my first URL that was longer than that.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Hmmm. Thanks MC. I'll take a look at the plug in table. Trying to think if there's a danger in changing from Text to Blob in the function of the plug in. I.E. breaking all our other links, etc...
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Oh... That's only part of my problem. I wanted to work with them in a spreadsheet ahead of time. 255 max.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

ABW Ambassador
    I had a problem too with the new feeds. Would upload the feeds and, presto, the links wouldn't work since the links are longer than 255 characters (they usually run around 270 characters or so). Thus, when uploading the feed and the link field in the database used "varchar", the link was cut-off.

The solution was to change the field in the table for the links from "varchar" to "longtext". Best that I know, there isn't a max limit to the amount of characters held in a field using "longtext."

In any event, since doing that links have worked correctly - even if conversions have fallen over a cliff since they rolled out the new feeds. Not sure why - and no longer really worried about it, either.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread