Interest research on how customers perceive the various Web ad units. Yes, I know that I'm a geek for loving this kind of stuff.

Read the report summary

Thanks for this informative AD marketing gauge info Karl! I am studying & outlining a new restructure of our advertising methods. This info will be very useful.
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Hi Karl,

Very interesting article thanks for posting it!

In regards to the below comments on Interstitials, I've never used them and this surprises me. Does anyone out there use Interstitials? How do they work for you? Thanks for any comments!!
    -----------------------------
    "What is surprising, however, is that consumers seem much more tolerant to ads such as Interstitials (ads that pop in-between web pages) than they are to Pop-ups or even Pop-unders, which are at the bottom of the list. It may be that consumers are more willing to tolerate advertisements when they are perceived to be around or in between content as opposed to feeling that the content is being blocked by the ads. It is a subtle, but perhaps significant perceptual difference that impacts consumers' acceptance of the formats."
    Travelin' Man

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown

ABW Ambassador
    I am surprised how low the rectangle ad ranks. Maybe they included even the super sized ones? because the cnet style ones are not so bad once you know a site has them.

Chet

Thanks Carl Interesting read but I don't agree with it much. If I am on a website that has an audio or even visual movement at all I click off it as if it were onfire.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Good Article Karl. I research this stuff all the time.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

Animal Lover
    Yeah I loathe the ones with the audio - music in the background type things. That's probably why I surf with my speakers off.

Oscar
    My DataFeed Scripts - php datafeed scripts for your site
    Shareasale datafeed scripts - to display Shareasale datafeeds
    Linkshare datafeed scripts - for multiple Linkshare merchants

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Great article karl

> Good Article Karl. I research this stuff all the time.

Me too.

> It may be that consumers are more willing to tolerate advertisements when they are perceived to be around or in between content

Very true with the whole article

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Thanks Carl Interesting read but I don't agree with it much. If I am on a website that has an audio or even visual movement at all I click off it as if it were onfire. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

nyfalcon: That's because, as I have pointed out many times at ABW, you (and the rest of us) are NOT typical Internet users. That's what makes research like this so valuable. It takes "regular" people - the people you & I are trying to reach - and figures out what makes them happy online.

I think you're absolutely right Karl. Its hard to step back from all of this sometimes, and information like this is really valuable. Thanks for sharing it with us!

John

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Good article.

I always had thought that interstitials would be even worse than popups, irritation-wise (I know *I* hate 'em worse!), but it seems that the survey respondents think they're not too obnoxious...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

consider what kind of chart that is and that the red bar is wider for the turn-offs.

doesn't look to me like interstitials are very popular: the red outweighs the green by a lot.

Yup, good article indeed. Intersitials have been growing in popularity for this very reason, it is not seen as much of an annoyance as popups. It is sort of in your face but users seem to be tolerating this form of advertising, especially when the interstitial has a note indicating, it's an ad.

Good read. Even for the stat geeks.

I think they should have made it more clear that obviously the people polled hate all ads. Knowing this they could have eliminated the negative side of the poll and posted easier to understand data.

Right now you have to consider the size of four extra fields on top of the negative field. I am interested in tolerance more than how much they like an ad. Will they tolerate an ad? We always here complaints about popups but they make money because people tolerate them to some degree. How many people will tolerate a banner? Will they leave the page if it has one? Will they tollerate an inbetween pages ad?

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread