Product specific articles or generic articles
    Hi,

Let's say I want to make a website where I will sell PET FOOD related items and I found a program for e.g. Acme Pet Food.
    What is the best practice; to write generic pet food related articles and in between throw Acme Pet Food banners and info OR write Acme Pet Food related articles on my website?

Thanks

Both.
    Generate more fake news.

Even better, sign up with more than one merchant so you can compare and no matter which one sounds better to your shopper, you come out ahead. Most products have key features that are their selling points, but not everyone wants the same features - or different features appeal to different shoppers. The big plus is that if one merchant goes out of the picture you aren't left holding a useless website.

I would write articles that are not brand specific like 2busy was saying what if Acme pet food goes away ? Or you find you are not getting traffic targeted for that.

After a while you might find you are getting tons of hits on obscure stuff like lizard food, lama vitamins (or whatever) and find a good merchant that pays out for it.

IMO stay versatile.

Good input guys.
    Which brings me to another question, do you first create a website and then apply for a program OR you first apply for a program and if approved then you create a website?

You'll need a website to join most networks. Many merchant will want to look at your site before they approve. This is not 100% true, but you are miles ahead if you have a site and traffic for the products you hope to promote. If you wait until you find the merchants and then start, it can be months before you see success. The merchants products won't bring you much traffic, it is the content that you have on your site that is related to those products that brings traffic.

you should also consider the keywords and phrases that people are searching for. in the example you gave "pet food" is extremely broad and would be hard to rank for. but "Acme Pet Food for older dogs" might be easy to rank for. then you'd just need to write articles about or build pages for many many combinations.

this might not be a good example, but hope you get the message. superCool ranks well for some brand-specific phrases and they bring traffic

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread