Affiliate Manager
    banners and alt text
    Would it be considered *not* a best practice to include a merchant's URL on banners or in image alt text?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Do you mean so a consumer would just type in the URL and not go through the link? Some consider it a bad practice, I consider it moot. Sales are made through text links 80% of the time as they are incorporated into content on the affiliate site. Now if you ask about 800# I would consider that to be a bad practice as an affiliate manager as it takes the sale away from the affiliate (unless you have phone tracking).

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Now if you ask about 800# I would consider that to be a bad practice as an affiliate manager as it takes the sale away from the affiliate (unless you have phone tracking).
    Even WITH phone tracking, having a telephone number shown on a banner is very unlikely to result in a sale being tracked. With SAS for example, after a visitor clicks through an affiliate link to the merchant site, an affiliate id number shows on the merchant's page and the customer service rep is supposed to ask for that id to ensure tracking. But if the customer never clicks the banner, there is no id number to provide, and as the SAS Account Settings section only has room for about 10 affiliate site URLS, many affiliates have sites that are not listed, and how then does the merchant know how to track the sale to which affiliate?

No way would I ever display a merchant banner with a phone number. In fact, I saw a merchant with this last month, and I posted about it here, and in a couple of weeks, the banners were changed to replace the number with the merchant's url. I agree that is not a big problem, as I think most visitors with the choice of clicking a banner on one hand, or copying and pasting (which they probably could not do for most banners) or typing in a URL, would just click the banner.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

http and a telephoto
    Phone numbers and urls should not be on banners. Affiliates won't use them so making those banners is a waste of your money.

Alt text: Affiliates will change it. Sneaking a straight link into alt text is more than a bad practice.
    Last edited by loxly; November 14th, 2010 at 02:19 PM.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I think a company name (which for many is the same as their URL) is just natural. As long as the name/URL isn't too prominent and there's not a call to action to type in the URL, I think it's fine. For some things (like a branded 88x31 button), it's essential.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks for the thoughtful replies and explanation about why you feel the way you do. I've decided against using our company name or URL in alt text or banners. The telephone number also will not appear on banners.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread