Talking How to find a niche?
    Hi,

I am trying to figure out how you guys find a niche. What are the steps that we need to follow before deciding on which topic are we going to establish a website/blog?

Let's say for e.g. I have interest in "Food and Health" category and I want to make a mini site on it. Now the thing is this is a very broad category so I am going to further into it to find a niche. Let's say inside "Food and Health" I am interested in writing about "Potato". Now shall I make a website on Potato or go further down and like "Potato Salad", "Potato Recipe", "Potato Tips" e.t.c.?

I went to Google Adwords Keywords tool and searched for term "potato" there were several results. So how do I decide which keyword to choose from? Shall I sort those results by "CPC" and then use the top 3,4 keywords or I shall sort them by "Competition" and then do my work?

Thanks

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    What I do to build content sites is use a keyword tool like Wordtracker trying out 2 word phrases closely related to my proposed niche. If there are few searches, then I drop the niche or modify it. If there are a lot of searches, then I try doing some actual searches in Google using the phrases. I look at the top 20 results or so and ask "Can I do better than what I see here?" If I can, then that is my goal; do better. If there are already many sites offering excellent content on the topic, I move on - you won't get to square one if you have to compete with 30+ good quality established sites. Bottom line is that if you can produce the best site on the niche without an excessive amount of competition you eventually will get the rankings - it is a long-haul process though.
    Last edited by Cheesehead; November 14th, 2010 at 10:27 AM.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

wordtracker
    Thanks for the great advice cheesehead. Seems like a very logical approach.
    I've been looking at word tracker, but at this point, a subscription is beyond my budget. Do you use their free tools or are you a subscriber?

Thanks

Jomo

You can do the same thing with the free Google Keyword Research tool.
    Generate more fake news.

ABW Ambassador
    To decide on a niche you need to know if there traffic for your niche/keywords. One free tool that I use is Google Trends (most major search engines have these tools).

Google Trends
    Last edited by CanadianDave; November 15th, 2010 at 09:33 AM.

As Cheesehead said, don't forget to assess the sites already in place, ie. review the quality of the competition, not just the quantity.

The only issue I have with keyword analysis is that it is historical - and you never know what the next hot term will be. Sometimes all it takes is one Oprah mention to send traffic through the roof on a keyword that was under the radar.

Keeping that in mind, I'm a big fan of starting out broad, then fine-tuning once the site is established - using your example, "Potatoes". When Oprah recommends "potato pancakes" as a health alternive, you can quickly create a new page that covers the topic.

Re: niches, I'm always reminded of Homer Simpson asking where he can buy hammocks..

Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.
    Hank: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks! Homer, there's four places. There's the Hammock Hut, that's on third. There's Hammocks-R-Us, that's on third too. You got Put-Your-Butt-There?
    Homer: Mm-Hmm.
    Hank: That's on third. Swing Low, Sweet Chariot... Matter of fact, they're all in the same complex; it's the hammock complex on third.
    Homer: Oh, the hammock district.
    Hank: That's right.

Thanks everyone for the input. It was a learning experience for me.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    The only issue I have with keyword analysis is that it is historical - and you never know what the next hot term will be. Sometimes all it takes is one Oprah mention to send traffic through the roof on a keyword that was under the radar.
    I guess that this is a point about how everyones personal style is different. I would rather find an underdeveloped niche where there is tons of traffic and little competition. Trending provides this and more. You can also see what is "hot" in the summer versus the fall etc. I know for sure that there will be competition for the latest "Oprah product". I am just not interested in chasing that kind of traffic.

To each their own! Hats off to you and what ever route gets you converting traffic.

To each their own!
    Yup, we all have a different style. I chose a niche that personally interests me so keeping up with trending topics is a snap.

Much of my conversion success has come from (newly) hot topics that have already been covered on the site. Plus the site can get to page one for those unexpected (but related) hot keywords.

It is definitely a longer-term strategy as it takes time to develop the site. But it's an enjoyable ride as I like the topic..

As CanadianDave said, to each his own.. and whatever converts!
    Last edited by teezone; November 16th, 2010 at 12:52 AM.

When I switched gears from being an affiliate (and/or program manager depending on what year you caught me) and became a merchant I picked a niche I was familiar with, at least on the surface. Gold prospecting was what I did for fun, to get away from computers, phones, Skype, etc and I was somewhat familiar with the shopping opportunities available online.

I knew there weren't many ecommerce sites, weren't any affiliate programs, weren't any strictly online marketing companies competing in the space, and I knew a lot of the potential customers were hours away from any "local" shops that could serve them (online or catalog shoppers). I felt like I could compete.

Since then we've expanded into rockhounding and lapidary equipment and metal detectors and accessories. Those niches have more established and varied competition, but our foothold in prospecting gear has made that expansion more possible.

I think some of this can be translated into selecting a niche for an affiliate site as well:

Is there a niche you already have some understanding of?

Is the niche well served, is there an opening for your site to fill?

Is there a solid customer base (is there commercial traffic)?

Can you leverage the niche into other niches?

If you can answer yes to all 4, get excited and start building.

Hope this helps.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

You can't really get a straight answer, my advice is that you find some free ebooks and start gathering info.
    I recently read an ebook about niche finding:'Unhearting the Blazzing hottest of hot niche markets' by Jason Gazaway, i don't know if it's free or not, but you can find it easy on torrent sites, it good enough to get you started.
    Last edited by php; November 18th, 2010 at 06:11 PM.

If you pick a niche you enjoy it will be easier not to get burned out on it. But you have to be careful that the niche will get traffic. Some things are to competitive and you will never get traffic and some are to obscure and you will never get traffic.
    Personally I couldn't study a niche for long that I have no interest in.
    Last edited by zire; November 18th, 2010 at 07:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Can a blog site attract traffic? just wondering....

Quote Originally Posted by focused View Post
    Can a blog site attract traffic? just wondering....
    Hi pal, blog absolutely can attract traffics. Generate traffics is the most hard work to affiliate marketer if you use SEO.

Regards,
    CyberAffiliate

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread