Joomla, ftp, godaddy
    Hello all,

Here is my first problem as I am starting a website, I am using Joomla and my website hosted on godaddy, I think I have problem with ftp, whenever I try to upload something to my website it gives an error, I searched and looked and I even made sure to put (/) which godaddy says to put it and still not working, finally I contaced godaddy and they told me something about they don't support this feature on a shared hosting and that if I want this feature then I might need to check their dedicated hosting, I looked at it and was shocked by the prices,

I honestly can't afford those prices, I used to be wealthy and doing great but not anymore (lost everything), don't get me wrong, I am not whining, but I am trying to start from Zero,

now I am sure many of you used or are using joomla, how do you get around this?

Now while I was looking for a way to build up links on my website, I read a thread here about cms shop for joomla and decided to look at it, and then found some other programs, since I have limited budget and trying to do it with as low budget as I can I would love to here some ideas about this too, I don't mind do some work, I mean it is not necessary that the link building tool do everything for me I can do some work too, it is just I want to get the best out of my low budget,

Any idea or advice would be really appreciated about both concerns,

Thank you very much,
    Best regards,
    One Dream

I would start by looking for a better host. GoDaddy has some functions disabled that you might want to use. You can get much better hosting for $5 a month or so.

Sorry, I don't use Joomla so I can't help you much there, but lots of affiliates do use it and they can give you good advice.

Good luck!

GoDaddy hosting sucks..

For sites like Joomla you don't want godaddy for sure, not sure what you have going on with the ftp but godaddy has really slow ftp and joomla is large, I went to uplaod a wordpress site a while back on their ftp and it said estimated wait time 1hour 47min. Godaddy also has a weird set up with the database so it make sites that run off of data bases really slow.

I could go on all day about the problems with godaddy hosting. They are good at giving refunds though. My advice get a refund and get real hosting.

Get shared hosting at HostGator. Your site will work fine there.

I'd agree with the above advice. Godaddy is a good domain registrar, but you can find better hosting. Search for cPanel Web Hosting - just about any provider will give you a plan better equipped for your CMS systems.
    Steven Clarke
    SeeksAdmin.com
    Join @ SAS
    Server Management Affiliate Program
    We specialize in making life easier for everyone. Focus on what you do best on the internet. We handle securing, optimizing, monitoring your servers 24/7! Commissions start at $45/sale + regular bonuses.

Hi,

I switched my hosting from godaddy to hostgator, somehow in the process I lost all the modification I had on my website, so I have to start again from zero,
    I am so dumb at html and php ...etc, I know nothing about them lol ,

Anyway I will update you whenever I get my website up again,

I believe this kind of work needs some knowledge of coding, design, little developing which I don't have them all, not sure what I am getting myself into but I am sure I will find out soon,

Thank you all.

Would you share which error you were getting?

I really think you should have been able to run a joomla site on godaddy as well...

Getting the error during the ftp upload means clearly that the problem is not with joomla itself, but with something you were doing wrong during the upload.

Quote Originally Posted by MoreBeer View Post
    Would you share which error you were getting?

I really think you should have been able to run a joomla site on godaddy as well...

Getting the error during the ftp upload means clearly that the problem is not with joomla itself, but with something you were doing wrong during the upload.
    No, the error wasn't with joomla, it was an issue with godaddy, I couldn't upload files on joomla while my hosting was through godaddy, when I contacted godaddy they told me that if I want such feature then I have to get a dedicated server which off course more expensive than the shared server,

So I switched to hostgator and now everything is running fine, I can upload the files I want on my website and never had any issue or problem with it.

Ah ok, then I misinterpreted your post.

I've had an account with HG for almost 4 years, never had problems.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread