Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    It's amazing how time flies by so fast, but I've literally not worked the search engines for free traffic in 3 or 4 years. I spent my time since sending newsletters, and getting traffic from ad networks via CPA campaigns... then starting my own CPA network. Enough revenue came in from those methods that I just put aside search engines and concentrated elsewhere. I've got some old content pages out there, but back then the trend was mostly thousands of doorway pages (which now get no traffic).

Much to my surprise, I put a counter on some of the content pages a few days ago and found they are still getting SOME traffic. I slapped some ads on them, and voila, I'm now getting an extra $2 revenue per day from about 60 html pages that I haven't touched in years. That's really just pizza money, but I can't help but ponder the possibilities....

This might seem like a NO-SH!T-SHERLOCK kind of idea, but I'm now thinking I should take my unpublished back issues of my humor newsletter, turn them into HTML pages (with some ads) and release them to the search engines. I've got hundreds of back issues and literally thousands of jokes that I can turn into search engines pages. Wouldn't each newsletter back issue or even each joke be searchable text content and picked up eventually by the search engines?

Is it really that easy?

(please don't just read this thread. Post! I'm looking for feedback.)
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    • Over 120 merchants with CPA/CPS programs seeking affiliates
    • Over 4500 network publishers seeking programs to advertise
    • Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

What the heck, take a couple of weeks or however long and go for it. It would be free money after you made the upfront time investment and you might enjoy looking back over some of the old material while you do it. A nice diversion from what you normally do, don't you think?

Don't be all serious when you do it and think of it as a mental health break. You have everything to gain and nothing to lose, so why not?

JP you need to have more fun.

I tell my kids a good life is nothing more than a long series of good todays. So, enjoy the day.

If you do it, have a kickass good time with it.

Don't take that too personally, I don't know you well at all. But, it is good advise for anyone.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> This might seem like a NO-SH!T-SHERLOCK kind of idea, but I'm now thinking I should take my unpublished back issues of my humor newsletter, turn them into HTML pages (with some ads) and release them to the search engines. I've got hundreds of back issues and literally thousands of jokes that I can turn into search engines pages. Wouldn't each newsletter back issue or even each joke be searchable text content and picked up eventually by the search engines?

Is it really that easy? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For once, there's not much to say. The answer to your question is simply:

YES! It's that easy!

Only one caveat: The normal laws of SE competition still apply. If there's 100,000 sites with the same jokes, it will, of course, be harder to get good rank than if there's only 10.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Leader's right.

BAD BAD idea....

the best ones are already online......

while you're at it, if you see enough hits happening you might experiment with adsense with or in place of some ads. their ads should tie in with your content. and if you're really getting heavy hits a google searchbox (from adsense) might pay off. it has for some.

Thanks for all the replies folks. I think I will try it, going slow as time permits.

Got another question for you all about this idea. Ads at the top of the page always get more clicks than those below, that's just common sense. Text ads always score more clicks than banners, again more common sense. With that said, I've got about 10 different 200-character-sized text ads that pull excellent clicks which I'd like to use at the top of the page, one ad per page. If I make 1000 newsletter pages, and begin each with one of the 10 ads (so each ad is used on 100 pages), will Google view my new pages as just 100 too-identical copies and ignore them because they start out the same way with the same text, even though the rest of the body of the page is different?
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    • Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    When I run out of ideas for new pages to make I revisit old pages and tweak them for SEO, for internal linking, and for ad placement. It's boring but it keeps them fresh and makes some extra money. It's a whole lot more work to make new pages than to update old ones and the nice thing about the old pages is they're proven for traffic and earnings.

Whazzat song? "Make new friends but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold." Too true!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>This might seem like a NO-SH!T-SHERLOCK kind of idea, but I'm now thinking I should take my unpublished back issues of my humor newsletter, turn them into HTML pages (with some ads) and release them to the search engines. I've got hundreds of back issues and literally thousands of jokes that I can turn into search engines pages. Wouldn't each newsletter back issue or even each joke be searchable text content and picked up eventually by the search engines? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In my opinion, there's not much money to be made out of humor sites at all. AdSense advertisers don't generate much revenue, there's a severe shortage of other suitable advertisers and the main problem is that people aren't visiting to buy, they want to have a giggle.

A good humor site can be quite good at picking up PageRank though, and anything original and genuinely funny can promote itself with minimal effort. There's no harm at all in publishing back issues (indeed, I'd sort of expect it for a humor mailing list site). Content attracts visitors - and don't forget that $2 a day is $730 a year

Care to share your humor site, JP?
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Sure, I can share the site (http://www.scorelarge.com), but it's literally only a newsletter sign-up form so there's no real site to speak of. There's a link to an ugly archive section that hasn't been updated in years. The whole thing will be revamped soon to try and get some site traffic.

Working on this (http://www.scorelarge.com/arch/blind-walmart2.html) as a template page for all the jokes as discussed in this thread. It's not a a final version by any means.

Stick an archiove on to show that it's active and submit it to the ODP, JoeAnt, Skaffe, GoGuides and Zeal.

I'd actually be tempted to tone down the advertising and get the page listed, then you might get a handy PR6 sitewhich is always useful for outbound links
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It's a whole lot more work to make new pages than to update old ones <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find things to be the reverse. It's always easier for me to write a new page than to have to go back and mess with an old one!

IMOm it's loads more fun, and easier, to write something new than it is to try to rework anything old. Trying to think of an update for pages I have already made my best effort on is a frustrating endeavor. My "updates" are never as good as the originals.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It's a whole lot more work to make new pages than to update old ones <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find things to be the reverse. It's always easier for me to write a new page than to have to go back and mess with an old one!

IMOm it's loads more fun, and easier, to write something new than it is to try to rework anything old. Trying to think of an update for pages I have already made my best effort on is a frustrating endeavor. My "updates" are never as good as the originals. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with Rhea on this one. A lot of the time I find myself working on old pages when maybe I should be creating new pages. I really love creating new pages that tie in with older pages though. Since all of my pages are basically programs, I find it much more fun to add features to one page and make it cooler than creating a new page from scratch. Since Google changed their algorithm I'm really focused on my older pages because they're generating traffic on their own. It seems Google doesn't offer enough respect to new pages, best just to freshen up the older ones.

It's getting to the point that creating a whole new site with a whole new set of products is almost counter productive. Google and buyers seem to like it when you focus all your energy in one place rather than 50.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

New are easier for me to make but old pages earn more.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dynamoo:
    Stick an archiove on to show that it's active and submit it to the ODP, JoeAnt, Skaffe, GoGuides and Zeal.

I'd actually be tempted to tone down the advertising and get the page listed, then you might get a handy PR6 sitewhich is always useful for outbound links <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow Dynamoo, I didn't understand a single word of your post.

It just had a couple of typos in

Stick an archive (of newsletters) on to show that it's active (as a mailing list) and submit it to the ODP, JoeAnt, Skaffe, GoGuides and Zeal. [I've included some links to vaguely correct categories, you might want to browse some].

I'd actually be tempted to tone down the advertising [less advertising means that it's more likely to be listed] and get the page listed, then you might get a handy PR6 site which is always useful for outbound links. [the principle being that a links page on a site with Google PR6 or PR5 can be worth far more than the revenue you'll get from advertising, even if you just link through to your own sites]

What is "Google PR6 or PR5"?

How can I tell what mine is?

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    JP your site has a PR 5, which is very nice. To see that you either have to download the Google toolbar and enable that feature, or you can check the directory listings in DMOZ, assuming your site is listed there.

There's quite a few good articles on PageRank about, but basically it's a measure of a site's "authority" and is broadly based on the number and quality of inbound links. Other SEs use vaguely similar systems.

PR5 isn't bad for a site you haven't been pushing much - perhaps with a bit of promotion you can make it a PR6 site, which is reasonably authorititive. A link from a page with PR6 can give the recipient site about a PR5 rank, or at least a PR4. That's a competitive sort of PageRank for attracting free traffic.

A useful long term strategy is to create a network of good quality but not necessarily "commercial" sites. Linking these sites to newer ones (especially *related* sites) can help you get noticed by search engines.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dynamoo:
    I'd actually be tempted to tone down the advertising and get the page listed, then you might get a handy PR6 sitewhich is always useful for outbound links <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd be tempted to build PR and then develop a sales hump rather than outlink. Keep the sales and content separate to encourage links in and optimize sales pages as entry pages (but not a datafeed )

If you're worried about your text ads, you could always pull them into the page via javascript, iframe or some such. The spiders won't see the ad content in that case.

Sounds like a fine idea to me. Good luck!

Dynamoo, I had thought GoGuides long dead. Are these former guides? I still have my old GoGuides fleece from just before Disney killed GO. :P
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Paul: I'd be tempted to build PR and then develop a sales hump rather than outlink. Keep the sales and content separate to encourage links in and optimize sales pages as entry pages <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that works too. But it could lead to the site being dropped by the directory in question if reviewed later.

I think if you're involved in affiliate marketing though, it's darned hard to design a site and not fill it full of ads, but for promoting a content site, it's certainly easier if the site is more-or-less ad free.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Eathan: Dynamoo, I had thought GoGuides long dead. Are these former guides? I still have my old GoGuides fleece from just before Disney killed GO. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GoGuides was a spinoff from the Disney thing, yes. Last year there was a split amongst the GoGuides people and as a result the Skaffe directory was born. From a site promotion point of view though, it means that there's another decent directory to submit to. Mostly these directories give straight links too, so that's useful from a PageRank/whatever perspective.

Dynamoo said:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>but for promoting a content site, it's certainly easier if the site is more-or-less ad free. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're certainly not ad free, more OR less!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>We're certainly not ad free, more OR less! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're one of the exceptions

Just figured I'd add one last post to update everyone since you all helped me out. I made about 75 pages using joke content from a newsletter of mine and linked to these pages from the index page, then submited my URL to google for spidering.

About a week later, the pages are now searchable on google, but they sadly get almost no traffic. The page template must be weak search-wise, or perhaps there's some other reason, who knows. Maybe it's because no one else is linking to directly to these pages? Or because the pages are new?

I never expected huge traffic, this was all really just a learning exercise so I can better understand my MaxBounty affiliates and the challenges they face in getting traffic. If I could get some free traffic in the process, it's all good.

I think I've learned from this thread that were I to continue, I should leave those pages as is and just change the template going forward (continuously tweaking it) until I get the ranking I want. Eventually, I'd get enough pages, with enough variety in template format, that I'd always get at least some traffic.

Thanks for all your help.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast