Online video sharing

Im new to blogging. I know and fully understand the rules of plagiarism. But what about the thousands of videos and other stories made available to the general public. Could I link or post articles and videos from other sources onto my blog? For example, Celebrities videos on Youtube, Yahoo, Google. Or articles from these or other sites?
    Last edited by romanjor; November 15th, 2010 at 06:13 PM.

Tropical Mountaintop
    Hi romanjor, welcome to ABW. The questions you ask are related to copyright laws and most articles and images online are copyrighted. Some will permit you to use some content if a link back to the full article is included and credit is given to the author. YouTube has their own TOS and most videos can be shown on your site.

Some similar discussions can be seen in this forum: Affiliate Legal Lounge - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum along with more information about the use of copyright material.
    Good luck!

Guangzhou, China
    Yep, i think you need to ask for writers' permission.

I think YouTube is pretty straightforward in that if the uploader allows it to be embedded, you can embed it on your site. That's what the option is for. YouTube still brands it and provides a link back to their site.

However if your content comes primarily from YouTube, the terms of service explicitly prohibits using your site's video pages to earn money. From the terms of service (section 4d):

the sale of advertising, sponsorships, or promotions on any page of an ad-enabled blog or website containing Content delivered via the Service, unless other material not obtained from YouTube appears on the same page and is of sufficient value to be the basis for such sales.
    source: YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

As far as permission from the original content provider goes, I would tend to believe it's implicitly granted when the uploader allows the video to be embedded and as YouTube makes each uploader agree that they have the right to upload and share it, the rights basically filters down to the embedder. YouTube's terms of service also explicitly prohibit you from sharing its content via anything but the embeddable player.

As far as Vimeo and other services go, however, I'm not familiar with their terms of service agreements.
    Last edited by bradk; November 26th, 2010 at 10:33 AM.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread