Groupon is awesome in all aspects except...
    ..and this is a big EXCEPT - the commission rate paid for sales to existing customers! 2% is piddly. With the average Groupon costing $15-$20, comissions for most sales are $0.40 or less.

This rate doesn't compete with LivingSocial's $2.50 per sale or signup commission, and it certainly doesn't compete with Groupon's own $10 referral bonus.

I will name my next child "Groupon" if you change the commission structure to 10% for all sales, not just for new customers!

Can I get an AMEN from some of my affilate brethren?

Hey, how about this, if you are an ABW affiliate, email me and I'll put you at our VIP rate. I'm not going to disclose it here, but it's better.

As for the Groupon referral bonus, you are DEFINITELY free to take advantage of BOTH programs! The $10 that pays out is in Groupon bucks, so those are only good toward the purchase of Groupons, but if you're like me, hey, that's okay. Plus, the referral program only has a 1 day cookie I think.
    best,
    Carolyn Tang Kmet
    AllInclusiveMarketing.com
    carolyn-at-allinclusivemarketing.com

You can get an "Amen" from me. I love Groupon as a concept and my readers love it. But it's a lot of work for so little money. In some ways, I think we'd be better off not being an affiliate.

I promote all the social shopping/collective buying deals, and since Groupon is the largest, it would seem that their commission structure would be better.

I'm a firm believer in that affiliates own their own website and make their own marketing decisions. The referral program may work better for some affiliates, and the affiliate program may work better for others.

My best recommendation would be to test both options individually, and then both options together, to determine your personal best mix. We've got some bloggers who are definitely doing better with the referral program (not managed by us), and we've got a slew of other sites who don't see that much with the referral program. It's structured differently and does not pay out in true currency, i.e. cash money.

I don't anticipate a change in our commission structure, but I am willing to move any ABW member to our VIP rate if you email me directly! Just make sure to give me your CID or PID so i can find you in our program.
    best,
    Carolyn Tang Kmet
    AllInclusiveMarketing.com
    carolyn-at-allinclusivemarketing.com

Just sent another affiliate in your direction.

I'm on the VIP rate and would like to see it even higher, but I'm happy either way. Groupon is easy to promote because they're the market leader.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Sounds great Carolyn! Does an "ABW affiliate" = Commission Junction affiliate?

It means you're an ABW member (But, yeah, not all ABWebbers are on CJ...I get that, lol!)

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread